H&R ULTRA HUNTER 45 ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhawker

Reaction score
Guess I'll put all the cards on the table :lol:

P9060182.jpg

P9060183.jpg

P9060185.jpg

P9060186.jpg

Also have not shot this much.. but promises to be a shooter..so far.

Are you shooting it with smokeless powder? Looks like there might be a little blowback?

I have really enjoyed your recent projects and posts. I have often thought of this kind of project, being an old worn out 30yrs machinist myself. A friend (also a machinist of more than 40yrs and custom gun maker) and I have discussed such things. Looking at the approach used by you and your partner stimulates even more ideas. I sincerely appreciate the initiative, not only to complete the project, but the courage to post it here. Sometimes the reaction to such concepts bring out the "natering nobobs of negativity", but I'll give credit to the members here for a very positive response.

I look forward to more,

mcrik

vabowhntr said:
Are you shooting it with smokeless powder? Looks like there might be a little blowback?

yes, smokeless. No blowback at all. What you actually see is from a weld repair I had to make to the lug.. It would come right off..should have cleaned it up better. Nothing to do with the conversion. A factory defect... you could hit the end of the barrel with your hand and pop it open.. 2nd H&R I seen do this.. repaired myself or wait for factory to do..naw + they may not appreciate what I did to their barrel. :lol: .

mcrik said:
I have really enjoyed your recent projects and posts. I have often thought of this kind of project, being an old worn out 30yrs machinist myself. A friend (also a machinist of more than 40yrs and custom gun maker) and I have discussed such things. Looking at the approach used by you and your partner stimulates even more ideas. I sincerely appreciate the initiative, not only to complete the project, but the courage to post it here. Sometimes the reaction to such concepts bring out the "natering nobobs of negativity", but I'll give credit to the members here for a very positive response.

I look forward to more,

mcrik

Really appreciate those comments. This is a great bunch of guys. I hope not to come accross like a know-it- all.. because I dont. You should go after those things you think about. If you are not sure about an aspect..find the answer..somewhere. Dont go blindly. My buddy is the machinist and I have some ideas and gun experience..I tell him all the time..between the two of us..we almost make a gunsmith.

Well......I am a gunsmith, but that doesn't mean too much. knowledge through experience must be earned. Seems like the more I learn...the less I know.....mmm..

mcrik

That's what I am talking about! :D

You owe me a keyboard, mine is full of drool. :wink:

Thanks for posting that, it is my dream gun. Fast twist 1:20 .45 caliber, cinnamon stocks, stainless steel receiver and barrel.

Ahh, smokeless is a whole new ballgame. I really like this, anyone know what it would cost to convert an existing 45-70 NEF?

Please let us see some pics on how it shoots!

Nothing bad to say at all. I think this is freakin awesome and want one myself. I'd love the same in a smaller bore even...if it would work the same. Maybe 375 or 35 Rem. Not legal here in FL...of course smokeless isn't either. I'd love a 40 cal smokeless even with a sabotless 200gr XTP/SST

vabowhntr said:
Ahh, smokeless is a whole new ballgame. I really like this, anyone know what it would cost to convert an existing 45-70 NEF?

Please let us see some pics on how it shoots!

Will do! Got to find the time. Talked to D. Daub this morn. I have come to learn that RB, on the "Dougs" board is thinking about doing these for people for about $80 labor. He will be boring and threading for a plug. I believe the plug is included. That is a good price. I think a guy can get a new synthetic stock handi-rifle for probably $250ish.. send it to him..or maybe just the barrel.
Not sure if he has an FFL. Check it out. I will try to shoot my NEF soon here.

mcrik said:
Well......I am a gunsmith, but that doesn't mean too much. knowledge through experience must be earned. Seems like the more I learn...the less I know.....mmm..

mcrik

Those are some impressive credetials (sp) there mcrik. NRA life member too. Good man! Make sure you chime in on some of this stuff,
it would be welcome.

Did that barrel start out as a .45-70 er whut? Dayum! That breech plug is longer than my, ah.. er.. finger.

Nice looking rifle.

Underclocked said:
Did that barrel start out as a .45-70 er whut? Dayum! That breech plug is longer than my, ah.. er.. finger.

Nice looking rifle.

I know...breechplug is silly looking. The 45-70 has a long chamber. I had the machinist (not my buddy)
bore the chamber out 37/64" to 2.350" deep & tapped for 5/8"-18 plug. My buddy couldnt bring a gun barrel into work. The plug has a large powder cavity though.. if I remember correctly..it itself holds about 36 gr. of the powder(weighed)
so it isnt wasted space. Didnt have to thread all the way like that..but it doesnt hurt anything. There is a savage style ventliner at the bottom.
I also didnt go with the counterbore like on the H&R. 3/8 hex also rather than like the 7/16" on my modified H&R plug.

WOW!! is that nice,and great craftsmanship.i wish that was in my locker....karl

squirrelhawker said:
k said:
WOW!! is that nice,and great craftsmanship.i wish that was in my locker....karl

I do like the laminate thumbhole stock.
did you make the stock?or who made that nice piece of work....karl

Reese said:
I was eying that rifle last week, good PA bear medicine. I was playing with the idea of putting that stock on my Huntsman. The thumbhole stock is available separately from H&R. Will it fit?

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

R03898 Thumbhole, Cinnamon Laminate $90.00

Reese,

Yes, all the H&R/NEF Butt stocks will interchange. They are made by Boyds for H&R/NEF. IMO all the thumbhole stocks should be bedded to the frame, otherwise you can get a rocking motion under recoil. Put one on my Ultra Slug Hunter, groups went all over, reinstalled the original and was back to tight groups. It just seems that no matter how tight you get the short button head bolt, you can get the stock to move against the frame. Just make sure if you bed it, it will probably only fit that frame, unless it is re-bedded to another.

I have a couple of them, here is one on a Sidekick.

005.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

Back