Moving to Germany...What to do with my guns???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleboje

Reaction score
Guys, I have a conundrum...

I finally got orders to move to Germany for my final tour with the Army...but what do I do with my guns?

(I am set up to shoot BP with the triumph as well as skeet, trap and SC with the shotguns - 12's and 20's.)

So do I leave them all with my brother in Tejas or put up with the red tape to get them into Germany? I think the nearest Rod & Gun club will be in Heidelberg (about 1 hr drive from Stuttgart).

Have you ever been overjoyed and bummed at the same time... :?

Leave them with your brother. You can borrow guns over there for trap and skeet. The Red-Tape Sucks!!! :x

But, you will be able to bring back some NEW guns with you! Great prices thru the Gun Club.....And don't forget to get some HighPowered Air rifles as well 8) 8) :D Like Weihrauch, RWS, and Feinwerkbau

:yeah: :yeah:

+1 to leave them in Texas. Be sure to keep a log of each gun with serial numbers and a photo if possible. I would keep them in a gun safe if you have one too, for added protection.

Good luck in Germany!! I wanted to go over real bad in my USAF days in the early 70's but, I was a medic and every medic that put in for overseas went to Vietnam, so I stayed in S. Dakota till discharged. :lol:

I would leave them with your brother. Be sure to photograph them, document their serial number and anything else about them. If you are not going to allow someone to use them be sure to treat them with some long term protection. Cosmoline would be my choice.

:D :eek: You could leave them with me. Just kidding. If the tour is not too long I would leave them in the USA with a reliable party. Have a good tour of duty.

Wow, I never expected the Germans could make things so complicated...it used to be simple...fill out the ATF form and ship the POF (personally owned firearms) in the household goods or hold baggage shipment and be covered under the SOFA (status of forces agreement).

Now I have to contact a local Rod & Gun Club and get them to coordinate a "German Weapons Card" permit to keep the guns I have collected over 20+ years...and that is quite a few POF's now!

Looks like I will be stationed in Stuttgart, so the nearest R&G club will be Heidelberg (about 1 hr drive on the autobahn).

I wil check with my sponsor, but I already know he is not a hunter, nor a competition shooter, so his interest in this area may be minimal.

When there is a will, there is often a way, and if it's legal, I will find a way to get it done...after all that's the American way. :wink:

Leave them with someone you trust to give them back to you in good condition.

gun

I left mine in the USA and loaded up on Berrettas, TiKka and every other gun I could get my hands on during my service. Had em' shipped home no problem at the end of the tour.

Re: gun

papines said:
I left mine in the USA and loaded up on Berrettas, TiKka and every other gun I could get my hands on during my service. Had em' shipped home no problem at the end of the tour.

:yeah: :wink: 8)

Latest posts

Back