Remington 700ml velocity question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdtmd

Reaction score
:D guys anyone have a idea what kind of velocity 120grs of bh209 would push a 195 barnes in the .50? Thanks

130 gr of BH 209 with the 195 gr Barnes is good for 2275 fps out of my 24" .50 caliber Knight DISC. The accuracy is excellent.

:D just picked up a .50 in excellent shape with bolt and breechplug mod. No blowback and very accurate with 195's my favorite bullet. The only thing is being a .45 guy I wish it was a .45 but the .50 will do. Should have it this weekend and it and my disc elite .45 will be going to the range next week once my powder arrives.

Dave,

Congrats on the rifle. You have a PM waiting, AND another PM from back on Jan 12th that you haven't opened yet according to my Outbox. It was in regards to a question you asked me back then.

:D rob thankyou. I didn't realize I had one because when you login it said I had no new messages. I just read it and thanks again for all the great info.

195 grain barnes

Guys,

I haven't been able to find a 195 grain barnes bullet for sale? Can someone point me in the right direction? This looks like it might be the ticket for long range shots.

Scott

Barnes 195 grain ML Bullets

GM 54,

The original poster stated he was using Barnes 195 grain bullets in a 50 caliber. The only 195 grain bullets I see on the Cabelas web site are 45 caliber bullets unless i am missing something?

I was hoping to try some Barnes bullets in a weight ligher than 250 grains. They should be the ticket on longer shots on whitetails with a 120-130 grain powder charge.

Thanks for the help,

Scott

:D Scott you just need to get some Mmp .50 to .40 sabot and you can use those bullets.

Re: Barnes 195 grain ML Bullets

Sgraunk said:
GM 54,

The original poster stated he was using Barnes 195 grain bullets in a 50 caliber. The only 195 grain bullets I see on the Cabelas web site are 45 caliber bullets unless i am missing something?

I was hoping to try some Barnes bullets in a weight ligher than 250 grains. They should be the ticket on longer shots on whitetails with a 120-130 grain powder charge.

Thanks for the help,

Scott

He may have but my reply was to you and you did not specify caliber. ;)

BTW i contacted Knight today about just buying some loose 175gr or 195gr bullets and no luck...unless i want to pay $1 per bullet. I can buy from Barnes cheaper but not in the bullet and sabot combination listed either.

Pricing on the website is wrong too and going up. Some of the closeout items are NOT IN STOCK. The FPJs went up to $13.99 also

Looks like the best deal are the Lehigh bullets at $40 per 50 for the 185gr 40cals. if you want a non lead bullet.

IMO the 40cal 200gr SST/Shockwave is another great 200 yard bullet but not in the same class as Lehigh or Barnes.

If you have a local Cabelas, go look in person too. Mine still has some of the 40/45 195gr Spitfire flat base bullets with 45 sabots. Then you would only need the 40/50cal sabots.

They (Spitfires) IMO are better for long range than the Expanders.

Hope this helps.

The Harvester .50/.40 CrushRib Sabot would also work nicely with that bullet if you have a tight bore.

jsteurrys said:
The Harvester .50/.40 CrushRib Sabot would also work nicely with that bullet if you have a tight bore.

Those are the ones i prefer in 40/50 but of course that varies from gun to gun. IMO the petals feel more limber than others and might open faster if they shoot well in your gun.

Barnes 195 Grain Bullets

GM 54,

I was hoping Barnes had come out with a 50 caliber bullet that was less that 250 grains. In my opinion it seems bad enough to pay over a buck a bullet but then have to purchase new sabots for over 10 bucks a hundred to go with the buck a bullet bullets.

I still haven't found a combo that works for me on 200 yard shots. With 110 grains of 777 my drop at 200 yards is close to 16 inches. I sight in 3 inches high at 100 and use the post of my duplex reticle as an aiming point at 200. It works but is not ideal.

I may purchase some anyway to try them. When I tried the 200 grain shockwaves I found that I couldn't even hit the target at 100 yards. It may have been a sabot seating issue but they seemed really inconsistent in the two guns I tried them in.

Thanks for the info,

Scott

My LGS has a really odd Knight RedHot 45/50. Its a 220gr Spitzer MZ and ive never seen them before. I think it was a flat base and Barnes does sell a light 45cal bullet loose but still a buck+ a bullet plus sabots.

There is a light weight 45cal 200gr FTX made for the 460 Ruger (i think). Ive shot them but never past 100yards and the accuracy isnt as good as others. Never tried them on game but on wet phone books they held up better than expected.

Ive just got some cheap 200gr .429 hardcast spire point bullets but they are just range bullets. Not much use for game unless you just want a nice clean deep hole. I havent tried them yet either.

The best bullets ive seen for drop are the Precision Rifle QTs or Dead Centers but finding which one works for you might be hard and they are just lead HPs or Poly tipped.

Latest posts

Back