New Speer DeepCurl AKA GoldDot hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Just found these on Speer's site while trying to find some .475 275gr hp bullets.

Supposedly new for 2010 but maybe just renamed?

Ive heard/read the .475/50 sabots are very finicky so i didnt want to spend too much and i only got 50 sabots.

These are basically an improved version of Rainer plated HP bullets but they make a 275gr HP. The only other 275gr is the Barnes.$$$$$$$

Some of these should make nice affordable bullets in other calibers too and dont appear to have a cannelure. At least they should be since the GoldDots were reasonable but kinda hard to find now.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/h ... pcurl.aspx

GM54-120

These are basically an improved version of Rainer plated HP bullets but they make a 275gr HP. The only other 275gr is the Barnes.$$$$$$$

You really need to get some Gold Dots/Deep Curl's and shoot them and harvest a few animals - I think you will find them way more than the Rainer will ever be. The lead content and the plating are different, along with the controlled expansion. These bullets really do not pancake much at all.

I looked at the Rainer's a long time ago and sorta ruled them out - they might be good inexpensive pistol bullets - I never seriously considered them as a hunting bullet...

quote from Mike
"I looked at the Rainer's a long time ago and sorta ruled them out - they might be good inexpensive pistol bullets - I never seriously considered them as a hunting bullet"
+1
I use some very similer bullets for several years when inlines first came out. They killed every deer I shot with them but I was not impressed the average distance the deer ran after taking a vital shot was much more than with a 54 cal round ball. Lee

I know everything ive seen says the proper GoldDot is a very good affordable choice. I use plated bullets mostly for fun shooting. The 50cal 335gr Rainier holds together pretty well though. The 50cal 300gr will pancake like a PowerBelt. :p

I will have to give these .475 275gr a try. Midway still has some of the older 275gr GoldDots.

Bullets

Parkers, Jacketed Ballistic Extreme
50 Cal./275gr. Everyone keeps forgetting them.

Re: Bullets

Bucker said:

Both the Ballistic Extreme and the Hydra Con's are good bullets.

Re: Bullets

Bucker said:

Far from it, i was on their site yesterday. :D

I was looking for a cheap 275gr in 475 caliber bullet to see if i like the 475/50 sabot. ;)

SteveH

The 'Deep Curl' is replacing the 'Gold Dot' line...

Same bullet - different name. The Gold Dot has become such a popular hunting bullet they are moving the whole line over to a 'hunting bullet category' and renaming the line "Deep Curls". In conjunction they are now building regular rifle bullets along the same line hoping to catch the popularity.

Problem being.... trying to get any. The ATK-Speer plant is just down the road in Lewiston from here and we can not even find a good supply around here.

I do know that Wholesale Sports got a large corporate order at the beginning of January - so they have some....

Thanks for the quick clarification.

I did a google search for ?Speer Deep Curl? and got some message boards claiming that they are a replacement for the Speer ?Hot Core,? and are made along the lines of the Federal Fusion (sister company) bullets. This did not sound good.

But a little more navigating around the Speer site an I found this:

"DeepCurl? ?Speer's newest hunting line-gives reliable performance and consistent expansion at all velocities, every time. These tough bullets were formally known as Gold Dot? Handgun Hunting."

Sorry for the apparent false alarm but it does get confusing. Gold Dots are still a line but I guess it's more for self-defense.

DeepCurl. It does sound like some kind of ladies hair product. :lol:

Latest posts

Back