Nosler HG vs XTP help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyc49ca

Reaction score
Trying to decide between these 2 bullets. I shoot an Omega z5 with 2 50g Pyro pellets with win T7 primers. I used the hornady low drag sabots and 250gr sst last years but would like to switch to one of these bullets.
Shots will range anywhere from 10yds out to 175yds. I was looking at the 300gr Xtp or the 260 nosler partition. My local gun store doesn't have any bulk sabots so I will be shooting the supplied sabots with either bullet.
Ideally I'm looking for the hard hitting with pass thru as well as maintaing accuracy.

Thanks
Bill

billyc49ca

I was looking at the 300gr Xtp or the 260 nosler partition. My local gun store doesn't have any bulk sabots so I will be shooting the supplied sabots with either bullet.

IMO - there is not comparison... the Nosler is a great bullet and designed to function better.

I have used the Nosler for umteen years. I use the 260 on deer and the 300 on elk.

There is a problem... Nosler has opted not to build the HG partition bullets this year and maybe into the future. There is an alternative - the .458/300 grain Nosler Partition. It is a rifle bullet built for the 45-70, and they will contiune to make that.

The sabot that comes with the .451/260 grain sabot is a MMP HPH-24. This is a slightly thicker sabot that the 'Low Drag' but the 260 is slightly smaller than the .452 SST/SW. But even then sabots are available online and you would have no trouble getting them.

Here is a recovered 260 Nosler.

CompositRecov-458-2.jpg

Other alternatives....

Barnes offers a great bullet - you will just have to sort through what you migh want. i am not much of a fan of Barnes and I do not know enough about their bullets to make a good recommnedation.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/

And a second alternative is a new brass bullet that is offered by Lehigh Manufacturing. The operating theory behind a Lehigh is completely different than the conventional expansion theory. The theory of these bullets comes from Europe - Germany to be more specific.

http://lehighbullets.com/

Take a look at the .452/250 grain bullet, he also makes a .451 for really tight bores.

I shot a nice whitetail buck last week with a .458/275 grain Lehigh, but really can not tell you anything conclusive about the operation of the bullet other than the buck dropped dead in his tracks.... but where I hit him just about any bullet would have cause that.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=14467

What kind of bullet trajectory can i expect using 2 50g pyro pellets and the nosler 260gr. If i sighted in at 2 inches high at 100yds where would I be at 150yds, 200yds?

Id pick the nosler any day That is what i shoot and they work great you wont be dispointed.

sam

Used the wrong picture last time here is the correct one...

expandedNosler.jpg

Another bullet should not overlook is the Speer .452/300 grain Gold Dot or even the .452/250 Gold Dot.

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

I dont really know why a nosler. 45 sporting pistol bullet wouldnt work

has anybody ever use these bullet for deer they are 250 grain

sam

Either of the mentioned bullets will serve you well. The xtp line of bullets have likely taken more deer than any other single projectile. A couple months back, there was a great sale on the nosler partitions. I stocked up on a lifetime supply of hunting bullets at that time. Sabotloaders photos tell the tail. Cost was the biggest reason I never purchased the noslers in the past.

Picked up some Nosler HG sabots 260 gr today. Took them to the range and I'm impressed with the accuracy. Got a 1inch group with 2pyro pellets and triple seven primers. Sighted in 2 inches high at 100. Can't wait to see how these perform on a whitetail. Anyone know where abouts I'll be at 160 yds and 175ydz?

Well the Nosler 260 sure did the job for me. Ranged a doe at 177 yards. Hit it right through the heart. Boy did this bullet expand. Complete pass thru. This will be the only bullet I use in my ml. Got to head to the local store and stock up.

billyc49ca

Boy did this bullet expand. Complete pass thru.

Been there often - done that often...

The hard part is to get folks to really believe what the internals look like even though the bullet did not hit them all...

I have always maintained the you have to cause enough internal shock to the system to over-ride the flight response of the animal...

How far did the doe go before it crashed?

SteveB, some shops still have 260 Noslers left in stock. I should pick up more before they are all gone!

Still dont understand why ther are discontinuing the Nosler. Do you guys know of any body that still has them for a good price.

nosler

Well the Nosler 260 sure did the job for me. Ranged a doe at 177 yards. Hit it right through the heart. Boy did this bullet expand. Complete pass thru. This will be the only bullet I use in my ml. Got to head to the local store and stock up.
What load and gun you shooting that at? Also where was your scope set at. I don't know about other guys but that is an impressive shot! Little more detail please.

Re: nosler

Bucker said:
What load and gun you shooting that at? Also where was your scope set at. I don't know about other guys but that is an impressive shot! Little more detail please.

Shooting a TC Omega with 100 gr of pyro. Had my scope set at 2 inches high at 100.

Ya the amount of internal shock was amazing. She piled up less then 20 yards from where she was shot. I think the only way she got 20 yards was due to the fact she went downhill

Cabelas still has them but they're not cheap. Over $1 each after shipping without sabots.

That is actually what the going price was.
Same price as most of the higher quality bullets.

Beikirch's in East Rochester, NY has the 260s in Winchester packaging for $7.00 a 10 pack. They had a couple of cases at those prices. They ship UPS. Their phone # is 585-248-3660. They have no more 300s as I bought them all. :D

SteveB said:
Cabelas still has them but they're not cheap. Over $1 each after shipping without sabots.

That is actually what the going price was.
Same price as most of the higher quality bullets.

Yea, I know. I cant find any on clearance but they do still have them if you need them. I would be interested in a deal if one comes up, just havent found one yet.

Latest posts

Back