range visit results white hot pellets pr bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimpy50

Reaction score
went today to sitart my muzzleloader sight in. i have n encore pro hunter with a .50 barrel. it wears a 3.5-10x40 leupold vxIII. i found out a few interesting things. my rifle does not like pr bullets, at least not with IMR White hots. SEcond, white hots leave a crud ring even with winchester t7 primers. All said and done, my gun is sighted in as follows 2 inches high at 75 yards. 1 inch group or so. 2 white hot pellets a 250 grain hornady high speed low drag sabot. i will shoot 100 yards and or more this week, but for now this is good. i also ordered a a locker pin from cabelas. i may see my friends over at Da-Mar Gunsmiths about a trigger job.

Is there a particular reason you're using the White Hots? There's a lot better powder out there.... and cheaper.....

That Cabelas locker pin is okay but a Bellm oversized pin would be the best.

white hots

i guess i fell for the marketing. i do think there is a difference and i like em so far. what do you suggest?

Re: white hots

shrimpy50 said:
i guess i fell for the marketing. i do think there is a difference and i like em so far. what do you suggest?

I have never tried them but have seen them for sale . No reason to feel bad about using them or trying them . BH209 is not the only good option out there . Let us know about you next range trip . Thanks for the report its good to hear from someone who has used them . :D

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition ... ndex2.html

Pellets very more than volume measured powder as a rule, Those white Hots are 777 with out the black dye.
For a more efficient powder with out the crud ring or any need to wipe between shots [shoot all day and clean it when you get home] it actually shots more accurately if you do not wipe. Try BH209 it is as good as advertised. Lee

Re: white hots

shrimpy50 said:

I'm just saying that for a few dollars more you can get a box of 100 Triple 7 pellets. And for pretty much the same price you can get 100 Pyrodex pellets. I don't know why they only include 72 pellets....Probably the same reason BH209 only comes with 10OZ in a can....

I use Pyrodex pellets. I've tried all the "latest,and greatest" powders,and allways go back to Pyrodex. I spit patch between shots,no crud ring,excellent accuracy,and velocity. No need for anything else. Also my gun is setup with the Omega scope,and shoots right on the money,at each yardage mark, with 3- 50gr. Pyrodex pellets,and a 250 SW. No need to use anything else. If it works,it works! :D Ron

Back