First Range Report...HB 162...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
*NOTE...I originally posted the following on another local general hunting site. Most members of the sight are not very knowledgable about muzzleloaders in general, and about HB in particular. It may come across as simplistic due to this fact...

I will be more than happy to fill in the specifics for anyone interested....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, as I mentioned this morning, I made a run out to the range today. My intention was to do some work on a couple of different guns. Due to a few snafu's I wasn't able to get there until the afternoon, however it was still an awesome day.
First off, I usually shoot at the state range at the Clinton WMA. They have a 100yd range and allow rimfire, shotgun, and muzzleloader.
105_0511.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I shoot there I usually shoot my Savage 210 12ga Bolt action shotgun, as well as a Marlin 60sb .22cal rifle.

Savage...

svg.jpg

Marlin...

105_0531.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course Jcchartgirl usually shoots there as well...

105_0512.jpg

Today was a very special day however. I have been working on putting togther a muzzleloader for the past few months. I made the decision to go with the Savage 10-ml.
I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to purchase one through Henry Ball. Henry is the original designer of the smokeless muzzleloader. Savage purchased his designs to create the 10ml.
Originally the gun was expected to arrive about 2 months after I ordered it. Unfortunately, the work that was being done on it ground to halt when Henrys son was unexpectedly sent back to Iraq.
For the last six months I have been waiting to recieve the gun. In the mean time I started to get ready for its arrival. I still needed rings a scope etc.
For the rings I went with Talley screw lock detachables.
For a scope I was able to purchase a brand new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, through ebay for an excellent price.

Talley..
http://www.talleyrings.com/

Zeiss..

101_0162.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally last week, Henry was able to finish the last of the guns he was working on in his shop. My gun arrived last Thursday.
It wasn't until last night that I finally finished cleaning the gun, mounting the rings, and the scope etc.
Today, I had to run to Paramus just to pick up an acceptable reloading powder. Ordering the powder through the mail incurrs substantial hazardous materials fees, and I wanted to shoot today..

Here it is ready to go to the range...

hb4.jpg

hb2.jpg

So lets just say...when I got to the range I din't really know what to expect. The gun had never been shot before, I had done all the scope mounting etc, and I had no experience with the powder/sabot/bullet combination.

105_0516.jpg

105_0513.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I finally squeezed of the first round I was pleasantly surprised to find the recoil very managable,(less than than my Savage 12ga). And as an added bonus, I was already on the paper at 25yds with plenty of room to spare.
Three shots later I was moving the target to 75 yds.....

105_0514.jpg

I was amazed when at 75yds the same action played out, one on the paper, three to follow, and I was off to the 100yd mark.

Soooo....now I find myself with a brand new gun, having only fired 9 shots through it EVER, looking through the scope at the 100 YD MARK....AND IM RUNNING OUT OF TIME....

I have to leave the range in minutes in order to make a meeting back in the city...I found myself thinking, after six months of waiting....

Did I want to rush my first group ever with this gun at 100yds...What would it look like :(

Jeff, great pics & range coverage there! No hurry whatsoever. I found my best 10 ML-II groups in little cooler weather. Thanks for sharing nice pics there. :D

Ur perception on recoil is same as mine. IMO its the lightest recoilin ML I ever shot!

Look forward to your range reports Part II. I'm sure you will be well pleased.

I owned a 210 slugger a while back...nice gun. :D

Oh...by the way, it was over 90 degrees at the range, and the word Mirage is coming to mind for some reason ...

jcchartboy said:
Oh...by the way, it was over 90 degrees at the range, and the word Mirage is coming to mind for some reason ...

I think its about time the RIFLEMAN put up a Thread on this commonly overlooked factor than can affect you Hot Weather Shooters! :lol:

Good to see someone ELSE out there shooting besides Grouse and myself! :D

Really nice looking rig there!

Shots 10,11,12 out of #162. 64gr of Reloader 7, short black mmp sabot, 300gr XTP. Just a touch over 2 in'

HB1st100ydgroup.jpg

Some pretty good shootin there Jeff for very first time out of the gate! I have never shot that powder or bullet. The more shootin you do and become familar with that HB the group sizes will certainly shrink. I use the Long Black Sabots(stepped base) with the 300 Barnes MZ Expanders i shoot.

Did you recover any sabots & if so, how did they look?

Yea, i know Jeff, probably your gal had ya distracted! :lol:

Heres a pic of 2 I recovered from my Barnes for reference. They were nicely opened w/good distinct rifling marks on petals. Gun was shot in at 75 YDS for April TN Hog Hunt. I had a bad xperience with IMR-SR4759 in blowin sabots (hot weather) and I couldnt find nuttin except alot of black plastic fouling in bbl & no holes on target. :lol:

DSCF0120.jpg

Back