Always Keep One Handy ....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Always Keep One Handy

I always keep a flint and steel set handy, you never know when your normal sources (matches for fire may get damp or even wet). * Plus I always try to start a fire every few months to test my skills, never hurt to be on your game. Here's a strike-a-lite kit that's at least 40 years old and looks like new.

Sample of what will be needed as you start to assemble your kit, a good quality striker w/flint.
I use one of my old food bags from one of our business (Clark & Sons Mercantile Ltd) to hold everything (personal thing).
You'll need a few small tin containers (try and find ones with round corners (save cutting your carrying bag withe the square edges).

Start thinking about building a strike-a-lite kit for yourself. Shown is what will make a good kit that will last for years.

#1. beeswax candle on homemade holder (section of a trunk and limb makes a great holder.
#2. char cloth, beeswax candles, candle holder and striker w/good flint.
#3. Clark & Sons Mercantile cotton cloth bag used to hold my kit.
#4. striker (copy of one found at Bents' Old Fort in sothern Colorado).
#5. tin container (round edges saves cutting holes in cloth storage bag).
#6. brain tanned bag w/ tou fire starter material.
#7. wasp's nest make wonderful fire starting material.
#8. Gather small limbs for making your nest to use with your fire material.

Never hurt to practice old skills, never know when they may be needed.......

Attachments

• beeswax candle on limb holder.jpg
    beeswax candle on limb holder.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 17
  • char cloth.jpg
    char cloth.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Clark & Sons.jpg
    Clark & Sons.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 19
  • striker.jpg
    striker.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 19
  • tin containers.jpg
    tin containers.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 18
  • tou.jpg
    tou.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 15
  • wasps nest.jpg
    wasps nest.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I purchased it from Charles E. Hanson JR at the Museum of the Fur Trade about 25 years ago. It's a copy of what HBC was selling at their trading posts in the day. I have more comments about this striker with everyone wanting one, neat tool.

1607278084127.png

The museum site doesn't show it; they have another one which is a copy of a striker ordered for the Lewis & Clark expedition, but even that is out of stock. I need to get me a good steel. The one I have, I can't get any sparks from whatsoever.

The museum site doesn't show it; they have another one which is a copy of a striker ordered for the Lewis & Clark expedition, but even that is out of stock. I need to get me a good steel. The one I have, I can't get any sparks from whatsoever.
This is an original according to Hanson when purchased 45 years ago (he figured westward movement period). The museum would be hurting for funding and sold off extra pieces they had on hand. Charley would call me and I would grab several friends and head to Chadron from Denver.

Back