could it be the sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
trying to figure out why the only thing that will group outta the OE is the 250 grain shockwave.
Powerbelts i am thinking that i need to start back at 80 grains of powder and see what happens. maybe the same with the hornady hollow points.
What kinda sabots comes with the hornady. I bought them at dicks. They are the 44-240 HP/XTP with the green sabot.
Is it possible that these bullets would shoot better with a different sabot or is it a good one and i just need to find the right powder charge?
thanks

most of the time it is the sabot.

the .452 300gr xtp mag in an MMP-12 sabot was an awesome shooter in my cva optima. CVA likes a tighter fitting sabot.

With powerbelts you should start lower at 70 to 80gr. It may even like the heavier 338+ powerbelt. You just have to tinker around from range session to the other.

frontier gander said:
most of the time it is the sabot.

the .452 300gr xtp mag in an MMP-12 sabot was an awesome shooter in my cva optima. CVA likes a tighter fitting sabot.

With powerbelts you should start lower at 70 to 80gr. It may even like the heavier 338+ powerbelt. You just have to tinker around from range session to the other.

but i don't want to shoot something that heavy cause it will cut down on the distance i can shoot. I would like something that can handle 100-125 yards.

you wont notice the difference between the 295-348 powerbelt. They all pretty much shoot the same out to 150 yards.

The 348 with 100gr powder will be great out 150-175 yards when sighted dead on @ 100.

if you go look at my range report in the new section from yesterday. i started out with package deal hornadays 240 gr.45 cal dont know the diameter or the sabot they flew way out of control out of my gun at 50 yards with 80 gr. of blackhorn then i went and tried some ohter ones that were recomended to me on here that i bought wich are the hornaday xtp 45 cal 300gr. .452 with the harvester crush rib 50cal sabots and right away i was printing three touching hole groups with 80 gr. of blackhorn so i'm sold on buying seperate deals not anymore pre package deals. dont know if this helped or not its just what i discoverd that worked for me.

horsefly said:
if you go look at my range report in the new section from yesterday. i started out with package deal hornadays 240 gr.45 cal dont know the diameter or the sabot they flew way out of control out of my gun at 50 yards with 80 gr. of blackhorn then i went and tried some ohter ones that were recomended to me on here that i bought wich are the hornaday xtp 45 cal 300gr. .452 with the harvester crush rib 50cal sabots and right away i was printing three touching hole groups with 80 gr. of blackhorn so i'm sold on buying seperate deals not anymore pre package deals. dont know if this helped or not its just what i discoverd that worked for me.

you gotta link to those bullets and sabots?

i ordered both from cabelas shooting catalog. the bullets were in the reloading section.

OptimaAndy

If possible stay away from PowerBelts... they are great to learn to shoot with and they print on paper pretty good, but they realy are nothing more than an elongated round ball. There are much more efficient bullets out there.

The Green sabot on the hornady is a more than likely a MMP. And sabots, more importantly the fit to the bore can certainly effect accuracy.

I definately think the ones supplied with the bullets are not that great. As a wise man told me today. I think the Sabot companies and the bullet Mfg are in together.
Sabot company to the bullet company. we will sale these sabots to you cheap so, the package is more appealing to the consumer. But, they will be rejects and then the consumer will still come to us for our better line of sabot's.
Well, maybe not exactly like that but I bet very close.
Optima, I would definately try different sabots to fit well in your ML Try the Harvester SB to start, They seem to work well with alot of setups.

Oh, And as the same wise man told me STAY away from Powerbelts!!!

He was not only a wise man,but also a smart man :D :wink:
Inrecordbookbuck said:
Oh, And as the same wise man told me STAY away from Powerbelts!!!

frontier gander said:
just so you know, he has a # of my tip inserts.... Failure is not an option now :wink:

do those tips fit the 338?
cause i couldn't get the 295s even close to each other. the closest was like 8"s. :( :(

Tips wont fit the 338. The 338 doesnt need them, i just tested 3 of them at 20 yards and they were perfect.

Try the 348.

You just need to find that magic charge that the powerbelt likes. Im trying to sell my .58 mountain rifle now so i can get the accura and get some experience/load info with the bergara barrel.

Latest posts

Back