Alliant Black MZ surprises me today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I wanted to try some big nasty recoil conicals today and so I started off first with Triple 7 3fg and my home cast 370gr Maxi balls at 50 yards.

Shots 1 and 2 went awesome.. Every damn shot after that was a hang fire. I have Tresco nipple on my sidelock and it just does not handle Triple 7 well at all. Its weird.. I consistently only get 2 shots before it starts hang firing. You can push a wire through the nipple hole and it will still hang fire.

Switched over 90gr Black MZ, Zero hang fires and what surprised me most, was the accuracy. I'm not looking for sniper accuracy, 75 yards in my area would be a long shot on elk in the thick timber, so this group really surprised me as I did not expect the MZ to shoot this well with these conicals.

Excuse the messy target, I hate wasting them. The Black MZ also shot center. I'd imagine with the large conical and this load I would be around 7 to 9 inches low at 100 yards. Maybe tomorrow I can test at 75 yards and see how things go.

Shots 2-5 are easily within 1 1/2" or less.
100_3214.jpg

100_3213.jpg

FG, how many grains of Triple 7 did you use...90 grains also :?:

Latest posts

Back