Alfalfa or??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Just curious but is the darker green stuff the alfalfa? Its very long in the plot, over a foot where as the obvious clover with the round pedals are low to the ground.
IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

Other than some funky weeds growing and the sun flowers, the plot has been doing excellent this year.
IMG_3496.jpg

ok I got my answer on another forum, along with ebay lol. It is alfalfa!

Just mowed it down today, wow what a friggin lawn! Clover is super super thick.
IMG_3502.jpg

Next spring I will buy a 2-4lb bag of the same alfalfa and thicken up the plot with it instead.

Lucky! I have to water the hell out of it here or else everything dries up within a week.

My millet is now over knee high. We've had 7.7" of rain since last Thursday.

The pond is about 1/3 full now too. There was a wood duck hen on it this afternoon. She didn't fly off when I came up to the pond. I took a good look at her and she's molting so she can't fly.

Johnathan,

If you want more deer in the plot try growing the alfalfa and clover separate. Let the alfalfa grow and when it heads out take a close look, then see how long the tops survive.

John

John, thanks! I got a new area started with clover and winter rye for the cold months and cover. If it doesn't do good, I can plant alfalfa next spring and see how it does.

Deer love alfalfa. Not far from me is a huge field of alfalfa that is 1/4 mile square. There must be 500 deer on that field at times. Some really nice bucks too.

Muley said:
Deer love alfalfa. Not far from me is a huge field of alfalfa that is 1/4 mile square. There must be 500 deer on that field at times. Some really nice bucks too.
oh yes they do...i buy 100 lbs of the alfalfa cubes for horses at the farm store..and put a pile at each camera...they just devour it...they are not much of a hay eater but love the Alf and shredded sugar beets...its like candy to them...

you find a alfalfa field and you can hunt there your golden...plus its full of minerals so promotes great antler growth...

No hunting at all near the one i'm talking about . All private property. Sometimes I park next to the fence, and just watch them. They have no fear. They know they're safe.

around here if you plant wild sunflowers with some corn mixed in with it and let it stand and dry up the deer are thick in it. also winter wheat planted of course in the fall is a deer magnet. they go to that over alfalfa every time. you have to have a climate that has some nice days in the winter so it greens up and i and my son have shot plenty of deer with stomachs full of winter wheat. if one alternated strips of wild sun flowers and corn with strips of winter wheat you would have all the deer you wanted. strong eagle

We used to farm 200 acres of alfalfa and always had deer and elk in numbers day and night. The DOW would set off firecrackers, use elect. fences powered by solar, send wardens to run them off all because of the crop damage they had to pay each year. They tried everything they could come up with, anything they tried was a failure.

My neighbor told me for years the families in the valley controlled this problem while this property was leased. They would supply game meat to all the locals in the valley during the fall and winter which kept the animals spooked for most of the seasons. 

Years after I moved the ex-wife put llamas on the property, game animals don't like them and have moved on. She told the DOW why she wasn't asking for crop damage and what cured the problem.

Now the mountain lions are coming in several times a year going after the llamas (heard they taste like chicken)??? :)   :roll:

Jonathan,

From your past writings I take it you have a limited amount of water for the plots. Check with your local seed store and see if they have any dry land pasture mix. Good for outskirts and other areas where you do not have water. Spread it on before the snow comes and you will see growth next spring. It need a little sprinkling at the first dry spell next year unless you get rain. After that it should be ok.

It has worked well for me on non irrigated ground.

John

On our fourth cutting of alfalfa this week, according to the weatherman we are good until Monday of next week before the weather changes. My tenant farmer keeps an eye on a couple dozen mulies hanging around watching the downed hay, several young bucks and nice racks on two others that need to survive a few more years. They should have a good shot at making it as I gave permission to the Utah State Patrol to park on our lane to watch for speeders. There's a patrol car there from daylight to several hours after dark every day.

crown vetch is what i love. if enough water it comes back every year. i have it every wheres i dont want weeds, it chokes out the weeds and is good for deer and such. if your looking for a having to plant every year ground cover grow hairy vetch. it goes nuts and is nice to look at and the deer love it. has to be planted every spring. the county plants it in the ditches every spring around here. common vetch is like crown vetch, comes back every year. also plant duch white clover with anything you plant. it is lowgrowing but gets thick and comes back. any grazing animal go hard after it. minn. is full of it. i plant it with my lawn as it helps the grass really grow. doesnt cost a arm and a leg as the crown vetch and common vetch do. if your in good rain country broadcast sweet clover, yellow and white every rainy season. it come back every two years and gets 6 ft. tall and every animal that loves green things will go nuts on it. bees lover it the most of all. years ago i met a african student who was rich with thousands of acres of grass land in his family. i told him about white and yellow sweet clover and he bought sacks and sacks of the seed and sent it back to africa to broadcast in the rain season so his goats and cattle could get fat on it. in north dak with their rich soil the sweet clover gets so tall you cant see the cattle in it. horses love the stuff also. a field of brome grass and sweet clover makes the best hay for animals their ever was. dont forget field peas also. the kind for dried peas for soup. they make good hay also and very good deer feed. around here they plant wheat and rye together and may mix some hairy vetch in the mix and it makes the best hay ever. millet grow anywheres and is a crop for man and animal use you can depend on. it is the go to crop when all else fails. wild sun flowers around here really attract the deer. if you plant wild sunflowers mixed with hairy vetch and corn mixed in the spring you will have all the deer and elk you want in the fall. on the west of me is lots of corn and behind me is a section of winter wheat. my son wont be hunting deer far from the house in nov and dec. their will be more deer than we want on each of these crops.

Latest posts

Back