your help works!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickinil

Reaction score
thanx guys for all the help on gub selection/load sel. bullet sel.!!
i shot the new triumph/zeiss con. 1.5-5x38 over the weekend simply awesome! as good as my 06 ultralight!
300gr barnes mz over 120gr of blkhrn 209
1 fouling shot
2 shots to zero- thnks big 6x6
1shots at 50--1.5 high centered
3shots @100--1"group!!!! 3"high
290gr barnes tmz - 4"high@100centered

180yrds
300gr-2"group centered/zeroed
290gr-3"group centerd/2.5"high i was gettin tired by then so it might do better.
all over 120gr/209 with dry patch run@every 5th shot
cleanup was just like any other gun--easy
now keep in mind this was my first mzldr experiance EVER!!!
WHICH BULLET DESIGN SHOULD I CONCENTRATE ON FOR MY ELK HUNT THIS YEAR? i feel comfortable with either
again THANKS--- big 6 lee9 taylorhaught any anyone who i might have missedyou guys make this board!
rick
now

Either of the 2 will work fine,shoot which ever proves most accurate.

which

heck shooting like that out of the gate, forst time we should be asking you! Good luck!

That is some excellent shooting and a heck of a load. Anything that comes into your sight is in a world of hurt with that rifle... Nice shooting

no
im not that good of a shot
ithink the stars and planets came to alignment :D
i am impressed with this gun though
when i order it cabelas didnt= so we got thats straight after a wekk
then they sent thcamo/weathershield one-iorder the black/blue so
iaccept but they cant give it to me have to send in paperwork to state
so i go to get it- they didnt send it in now im gettin pissed{not one gun but two i odered} go back up and a least they made it right for their screw ups they gave me both camo guns at employee pricing which is 50$less than the black/blue one so i did ok just some wasted but not really as i was working three blocks from the store! :D

rickinil,

What State are you hunting in? That can be the deceiding factor in what bullet you choose. If it is Colorado during the muzzleloader season, neither of those bullets are legal.

You are going to want to shoot it at 125 and 150 to know your trajectory at those ranges, I'm betting around 6" high at the apex of your trajectory somewhere between those two.

Rick
I am so glad of your success with your new muzzleloader! The Triumph is one of the best and that Zeiss scope doesn't hurt! :lol:

We are all one big family and each of us can always learn a thing or two! I know I have!

Thanks for sharing your report!

yeah these old eyes need all the help they can get!
busta its for new mex. scopes an sabots are legal
will be shootin a few more times to fine tune selection and most definately shoot at variying yardages
will be trying co, legal bullets in the future but not this year
you guys sure shortned the lrearning curve for me

big6x6 said:
Rick
I am so glad of your success with your new muzzleloader! The Triumph is one of the best and that Zeiss scope doesn't hurt! :lol:

We are all one big family and each of us can always learn a thing or two! I know I have!

Thanks for sharing your report!

:yeah:
+1

As to which bullet? Both will perform equally well. I would pick the most accurate one at the range you will encounter.

That 290 has one of the best BC's in muzzleloader land and should be about as flat shooting as you can get..

Running the numbers through the ballistic program (knowing a 180 yard zero and the bc for the 300 gr Barnes Expander) put the apex right around the 110 yard mark, so the 3" might be the highpoint for the 300 gr. (Definately shoot to verify) What really got me was that the velocity would have to be in the 2100-2200 fps range for those numbers to work out! Wow.

With your sights set as they are, you should be dead on at about 200 with the TMZ. If you came down a couple of inches with the 290 at 100 yards, you should be +/- 2" out to 180 yards (with less than 4" below line of sight at 200)! That is some flat shootin'. The wind drift with a 10 mph crosswind should be less than 8" at 200 yards with the TMZ(add a few inches for the 300 gr due to the lower BC).

va thnkx for running the #s i wish i owned a chrono just to see xacly what their doin. if theyre even cclose tto what the program indicates
well - now im really impressed with this gun and powder setup
speaking of which:
should i encounter a lack of 209 available to me when i fly in
can i expect same ballistics if/when iswitch ti 777 pellets say two 50s an a 30? or 3 - 50s or is someething else needed?
i fully intend to try t7 in the upcoming weeks to see what happens

Never take for granted that one powder of equal amounts will shoot the same as a different powder. Only a trip to the range can answer that for you.

Try both powders. They should be close, but for instance, I have one rifle shoots great with Pyrodex RS and terrible with T-7. so you really do need to do the range time.

tnkx cayuga
i guess i sorta knew that answer but i was stiill wonderin
will be headed to cheese land to experiment with the t7
magnums or regular?

Latest posts

Back