Took a short walk after going to the gunshop

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Along the Katy trail in St Charles

And i stumbled across about 50 of these. :D

Morrels1.jpg

Morrels2.jpg

Morrels3.jpg

A friend lives just a short distance from it and took the rest to his house then heading back for MORE!!. Finally we got some starting to come up and a spot just a few hundred yards away. :yeah:

Hmmm sauteed or deep fried? :p

Now that is good eating!!! Morel Mushrooms are one of my favorite. I like to soak them in salt water for a couple hours, then rinse them in fresh water. Whip up some eggs in a bowl, dunk them in the egg bath, and then roll them in cracker crumbs. Put some oil in a cast iron skillet and over medium heat, cook them until golden brown.

A big plate of them, a good high quality hamburger on a bun (medium rare) and some fried onions along side them. And when I was a drinking man, a couple ice cold Miller beers. Man that was heaven.

cayuga said:
Now that is good eating!!! Morel Mushrooms are one of my favorite. I like to soak them in salt water for a couple hours, then rinse them in fresh water. Whip up some eggs in a bowl, dunk them in the egg bath, and then roll them in cracker crumbs. Put some oil in a cast iron skillet and over medium heat, cook them until golden brown.

A big plate of them, a good high quality hamburger on a bun (medium rare) and some fried onions along side them. And when I was a drinking man, a couple ice cold Miller beers. Man that was heaven.

Thats how its done alright. :yeah:

When i can, i like them fried in bacon greese too.

Nice find. I also love those morels. I usually just soak them the way cayugad does and then saute them in butter. I love them with steak or even put them on a hamburger. I'm guessing we are about ten days or more away here in southern Minnesota.
Art
________
Lamborghini lm003

Make mine sautaed with onions in butter atop a savory mountain of Magilla Meat, rubbed, grilled medium rare, sliced thin and piled high on flat bread topped with sour cream. Oh boy! ...make ya slap yo momma!

uh is that shrooms? :lol: no really i have never had those where can they be found?

You guys are making me drool!!!!!!!! Haven't found any in NW Michigan yet, but I'm sure some have.

I've never tried them either.Not a big shroom fan except for back in the 70's but we didn't eat them.

Morel are one of the few wild mushrooms I will pick. I have friends that pick another kind (short little round ones... I forget the name), but I will not eat with them on those. Too easy to make a mistake.

I also purchased a book on what can be harvested in the woods and what to avoid. It is aimed at Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. There are tons of things to eat, if you are willing to try them. I was brave enough to try some of the berries they mention, but when they start talking about eating fungus on trees and stuff.. I draw the line.

:D :) 8)

My uncle had a place up around Boscobel, WI. and besides hunting deer and yote's there I used to hunt those morells :!: :!: :!: Great eating ( with a little salt, pepper, butter and garlic) mushrooms and very expensive :!: :!: :!:

Well buddy called me back. He weighed them and we got 4lbs of nice sized ones. The pic was just 5ozs of medium sized morrels.

Some were over 5" and more are coming up. We just got a little bit of rain and thats all it took. Another friend in another area got 2 grocery bags full or medium size.

Around here we cant leave them too long or someone else will get them. Plus they grow so fast you can almost see them grow under perfect conditions. IF they look small in the evening go back before dawn and wait a few minutes.

Buttons the night before can be 4"+ by noon the next day.

BTW the ones last night got a light egg wash with crushed corn flakes and fried in bacon grease. Then added to a BLT minus the T. :p My friend used a similar method and froze a few pounds after the soaking and breading process.

We have enough fresh ones left for a day or two of meals. They go bad too fast to save that many fresh and they freeze fairly well with the correct preparation....Fresh is by FAR the best though.

Mmmm just a snack before bed. :D

snack.jpg

Shoot, you can eat those things? lol.

I see those at least once a year hiking or hunting(after the rain season I think).I need to get a book on what's good to eat out in the wild.I'm sure those will be good with these old squirrels we eat every hunting trip.

Cell

Morrels are my all time favorite mushroom. Around here they are highly prized. If you see them for sale, expect to pay $17 a Lb or more. The flavor to me is similar to dark meat chicken but better. :p

Last year i hardly got any, so this is a real treat for me and friends. :D

Love them Morrel's. I foun d one when I was a kid hunting them with my Mom that weighed 1/4 pound! might have been a reord book one LOL. Fried in bacon grease and flour man that is good eating.

whitetail said:
Love them Morrel's. I foun d one when I was a kid hunting them with my Mom that weighed 1/4 pound! might have been a reord book one LOL. Fried in bacon grease and flour man that is good eating.

Thats all my grandmother used to use, flour and bacon grease.

The KISS theory...keep it simple stupid. :lol:

Although if you really want to get the full experience, sauteed in butter will give you the best idea of its flavor.

Believe me.... we are stoked this year! Last year was a pitiful harvest and the year before wasnt much better for us. So its been awhile since we have been blessed with this kinda of bounty and they are still coming up for a while longer. Most of them ended up being given away to other friends that were not so lucky and turkey season started yesterday too.

We mostly just kept our fair share and spread the rest around to the less fortunate. I have a few left and had 3 awesome meals so im happy.

Scott

I did some peeking with google....seems every year over here there's a group that "hunts" mushrooms...and those are the holy grail.

Funny...I never see mobs walking around in the woods when I'm hunting or what not.At 17 bucks a pound holy smokes(That can't translate to 25 buck here in Kalifornia) .Those can help feed your hunger for this sport if you find enough of em. .Next time I'm out Ill keep an watchful eye for em...like I said I see em every year...At least if I remember right...Just didn't give any thought to em. :?

Cell

Looks great.

I'm hoping to find some when I get done turkey hunting. Roasted wild turkey breast smothered in morels (either sauted in butter or a gravy). I turkey hunted this past weekend, but nothing got quite close enough. After, I went morel hunting. Couldn't find any yet. I have another turkey tag that's good in a couple weeks. So I'll try again.

Found some of these yesterday. Looking forward to cooking them up tomorrow for dinner. Gonna try the egg/cracker crumb thing cooked with Butter and Onion. Ring the dinner bell please!

Back