Chapter 3 Rem 700ml @ the farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Where to start...

Remington Bolt Conversion - Field Testing

With the new bushing installed in the end of the modified Remington Bolt, I headed to the farm to get some shooting in. Had a couple of goals in mind. Of course the first one was to see how much blow back I was able to eliinate with the new set-up, second I wanted to try the new to me chrono I just got, and third i wanted to shoot some BH from the gun.

Another change - I want to tell you about. You can see I removed the 'copper' weather shroud - that I felt was necessary for protection from flying primer parts and replaced it with a segment of a simple 20 gage shot gun hull. I was very confident the primer would not come apart and I was pretty confident I would not be getting large amounts of blow back pressure in the breech. I am glad to say both conerns were non-concerns...

At the farm I set the target at what I thought was about 25 yards and the chrono about 12' off the muzzle. Back at the shooting bench I did check the target with the range finder - it was actually 34 yards and 4 degrees up angle. The range finder also read 41 degrees for air temp - great day for shooting.

I had already decided to shoot the XTP's, T7-2f, and Winchester T7 primers first. The T7 are not noted for being the cleanest primer in the world so I thought that would be a good test for primer blow back. The Win T7 primers are the ongest primer I use and when I closed the bolt on them there was some resistance to closing. Nothing bad or real tight but definitely snug. I shot 5 primers at the ground - check the breech not material at all - hard to prove I shot any primers.

Next I loaded up the first shot, a Hornady XTP in a MMP sabot, 110 grains of T7. Touched the it off and checked the breech - clean! Used the capper to pull the spent primer out - If I had finger nails i would have been able to use them. A point here not only are the T7 the longest primer I have they are also the skinniest... there is a lot of room in the primer holder. Shot this load 3 more times with the same results. Group#1

Next I decided I wanted to try some Lehigh Gold .40/200 HP's so I broke out the box and shot two of them... could not force myself to shoot anymore of them at paper at 34 yards - money down the drain. Group #2

Then the switch to BH-209 (Black Gold) shooting a Cheddite 209 primer... Excellent instantaneous ignition... Still shot 110 grain of BH, with a Harvester 4540 sabot and a .41cal 210 grain speer Gold Dot... Group #3

I hope you can see in the pictures the total lack of blow back anywhere in the breech area...

There is a negative(s) - or it will be a negative for some. My conversion has no means of extracting the spent primer. You will need a tool to that with. I was using the TC primer tool and it was a pretty simple. For myself and even hunting it would not be much of a problem

The other negative - I could not get the chrono to read the bullet - it would only read the sabot - but that might be a elctronic problem with the chrono reading the second object through...

Here is a picture of todays episode... I have other pictures of the breech if you-all would like to see them...

1-20-10Rem45Label.jpg

Oh! and I thought the gun with that cheap old (and I mean old probably been on one muzzleloader or another for 5-6 years now) $49 Tasco rifle scope shot pretty good as well...

I don't own a 700ML but I enjoy reading about your modifications and range sessions.

Keep'em coming!

i own a Remington ML and am watching this progress with great interest. would be interested in buying one of these conversions if they become available.

barkbuster

I am still tweaking this thing - so i would not feel real confident in saying they can be had yet.... Dave said he thought they would be in the $60 area to do the complete conversion.

But also remember it requires a Canadian 209 Conversion, modification to your current bolt housing and turning the current hammer down to a firing pin.

You are heading in the right direction with this project. I may have to get a 700 ML once you have this figured out.

That shot shell hull is a cool idea and looks like it works better than the original shield on the conversion. :yeah:

GM54-120

That shot shell hull is a cool idea and looks like it works better than the original shield on the conversion

With the lack of blow back pressure it works really well and most importantly it is CHEAP to make....

Good read Coach!
If I don't have to take apart that bolt anymore....Schweet!

You da man, Pete 8)

Spit

Well since you asked - I just now removed the bolt and took it apart.

This was after 20 shots of T7 and BH

IMG_0570.jpg

You can see I am get some primer leakage on the bolt face - nothing real bad...

When I opened the bolt to get to the hammer and spring - really not much there at all. but, I would still clean it on occasion....

Latest posts

Back