CVA Accura Price Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the two hot primers is that they put out such a volume of gas and flash in an instant - it does create a clogging problem if the diameters of the channels are not correct.

Western Powders - will only recommend the Federal 209A and/or the CCI-209M primers. These are the two hottest primerson the market. I personally believe that BH can be reliably ignited with a lesser primer. But, you will not move Western of their recommendation.

Thats also been my experience...atleast with the 45 Accura and 50 Apex. I prefer the standard Win209 primer because it appears to leave less fouling from the primer to flash hole.

I havent tried Fed209A but the CCI209M was noticeable from the first shot. I thought it was just a slightly different size causing the problem but Sabotloaders theory sounds right to me.

I do use a torch pic set though for cleaning, so my flash holes might get slightly enlarged faster. This might be why my results are slightly different too. I use them very carefully but.....

Who knows CVA might find a simple fix for those with problems. Could it be simple? A cone shaped flash channel or just a better transition from the channel to the hole?

As said, Western/Ramshot STRONGLY recommends CCI209M and Fed 209A in my email about 45 cal data. Its probably a good idea for hunting in extremely bad weather but who knows. :?:

And yes the Accura is the first rifle ive owned that i shot a sub 2" 200yard group with ONCE. It was on a sled but still...the barrel and trigger are hard to beat for the money. It will shot better than i can. Im sure plenty of Knights and TCs will too. :D

You could always get a ultra light 54 cal from GM for $400 and have an awesome sub 150 yard rifle. :D

If you like pain. :p :lol: :lol:

GM54-120

I thought it was just a slightly different size causing the problem but Sabotloaders theory sounds right to me.

Just remember that truly is a back yard mechanics THEORY. There is a very good chance that CVA has corrected the problem in the V2, as they are well aware of the problem. Western has been working with them and possibly another company to correct the problem.

Even their tool-less breech is a very simple design (not near as complicated as the Speed Breech) so it should be an easy problem to fix... the problem is inventory - how many old ones do they have that they need to move?

I guess we will see if/when improved replacement breach plugs are offered by CVA.

I have one helpful contact at CVA...maybe an email might shed a tiny bit of new info.

While only a theory....there is some "back yard" data and experience to back it up. Eliminating "changeable" variables is next and keeping as many "constants" as possible for testing.

GM54-120 said:
I have one helpful contact at CVA...maybe an email might shed a tiny bit of new info.

I would definitely be interested in what you could find out about CVAs and BH209 :!:

The most reliable gun with Blackhorn is the Triumph. Most of them can be modified to be reliable with it. Even the Triumph can use a minor mod to cut the accumulation of carbon when target shooting. Of course a cleaning of the inside of the breach plug with a 1/8 inch drill hand turned every 15 or so shots will take care of the carbon for target practice. Lee

So let me get this straight. The problem is with the smaller flash hole getting clogged somewhat and restricting ignition? If you used a cooler primer such as the W209 and pulled your breech plug after a dozen shots or so to clean it you should be ok? The reason I ask is I have a brand new Accura and a new jug of BH209 just waiting on a sunny day to try it. Never used BH before. Maybe I should just stick with the old reliable Pyrodex RS.

Use a hot primer like cci 209M and then clean the hole out every 8 shots or so to cut the carbon out of it. The carbon build up is the problem. Seeing how the Accura has a smaller flash channel, it would be prone to building up carbon faster vs a rifle with a larger flash channel.

Good ol pyrodex is all i had ever used but now im sold on APP :lol: No swabbing, no smell, no having to use chemicals, What more could i ask for?

quigley

So let me get this straight. The problem is with the smaller flash hole getting clogged somewhat and restricting ignition?

I, and others more in the know than I, believe the problem exists with the construction of the CVA BP + the use of the high volume primers that Western wants you to use. Just using the hot primer in the CVA breech plug and cleaning it every few shots is not going to solve the intermittant hang fire problem. The problem is that the two primers suggest produce so much volume of gas and debris particles it can not get through the flash hole until it burns down a bit - hence 'hangfire'.

Using a primer that produces less volume will probably work very well. I have to do the same thing when I choose to shoot BH in my Remingtons. The flash channel and flash hole are so small there is no room for the expansion of the gases and the debis that the recommended hot primer thows off. The Remingtons work very very well in that application to using a slightly cooler primer. The question that remains unanswered for me is at low temperatures, freezing and below will it still work.

If you used a cooler primer such as the W209 and pulled your breech plug after a dozen shots or so to clean it you should be ok?

I do not think you would even need to pull the BP just run a twist drill by hand in the flash channel... but I am not sure you would have to do that... Yesterday - I shot 16 shoots of BH through the Remington with Cheddite 209 primers - never had to clean anything. Today because of this conversation I did run the drill stick in the BP - no resistance at all there was no build up.

The reason I ask is I have a brand new Accura and a new jug of BH209 just waiting on a sunny day to try it. Never used BH before. Maybe I should just stick with the old reliable Pyrodex RS.

Since you have the Accura and if you have some BH - take it out and use your normal W209's and see if it will work for you in these warmer temps. You can see by the chart I posted the Cheddites I was using are a bit hotter and they are definitely a very clean 209 which also makes a difference.

I really think you would be miles ahead using BH vs Pyro - especially if the cost of BH does not hinder you the way it does me....

Also if you have time see if you can find some Cheddites or even Remington STS's primers they are also a very clean primer.

Let me know if you get a chance. I you want to verify all of this you can call Western Powders and get their tech support and they can share their information with you.

Great information. I appreciate it much. I will give her a try when this rain moves out of NC.

Latest posts

Back