ground blind bowhunting?? has anyone tried it on state land?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigalojay13

Reaction score
i was just wondering about any experiences people might have had with ground blind bowhunting in thick areas wear it is impossible to get a treestand in (on state propertys or hunting areas that get pressure from other hunters)...i hunt state land in new jersey and have a couple spots that look really good for bowhunting only problem is i cant get in the thick spots with a treestand.....im thinking about buying a blind....so tell me about your experiences... and if the blind was worth it

I have used ground blinds like the double bull when hunting turkey. Every deer that I have seen from the blind has been on high alert as soon as it saw the the blind. If the blind was left out for them to get used to it, I am sure it would work. But then there is the added risk of having a blind be stolen. Now, if you were thinking of using available materials to make a blind in that thick stuff, that will definitlty work, just pay extra attention to the wind, noise and be especially cautious about movement. If you do these things there is no reason why you can't be successful.

I have used an Outhouse pop up blind now for a couple years. These go up in seconds, and once you learn the trick come down in minutes (with a lot of swearing).

What I do is after the blind is up, I do put some branches off local trees and some shrubs and lean them into and on the blind to break up the outline, and such. Also I put it back against good trees. Tie a blaze orange cloth on the back side of it to warn other hunters out there that something not natural is in their field of view, as these blinds do blend in.

When you pick your blind, find one that is set up. Depending on your bow and draw length, you might have to sit angle in some of them. I know I do. But it has been very effective for hunting out of, and when it is raining or snowing, your sure glad to be out of the weather.

I have had deer come on alert when they see it, but normally they will calm down a little if you make no movement. Mine is charcoal lined, so it had a scent barrier in it. I never eat or drink anything but water inside the blind. And smoking is just a bad idea any way.

Don't leave a store bought blind on public property. Lot's of thieves of there. Lost my one and only ground blind thinking it was safe and concealed.

It's a shame that there are people who wouldn't hesitate to take your hunting equiptment.

I groundhunt exclusively on state land now and as long as you remain still, have a good backdrop and use the wind it works fine.

Being up in a tree gives you a greater field of view, allows for more movement and can possibly give you an advantage if the wind isn't just right.

Got my biggest bodied buck ever, a 9 point, hunting with a bow sitting on a lawn chair at the edge of a field with the fenceline brush as my backdrop. The buck was about 15 yards away. It wasn't state land, but the pressure is equal to it. Private land open to public hunting and well known.

My best luck with ground blinds on state land are when there is heavy hunting pressure of rutting bucks. Rutting bucks expand their range often are on the outer edges of their home range. Also, if they are moving because of other hunters, they are more concerned about what is behind them then in front.

If the pressure is low and the rut is not in full swing, I try to use a blind that has been up for a few days.

Latest posts

Back