A Roudy Roundup of Ruger Revolvers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I love muzzleloaders. I like revolvers. Here are my Ruger Revolvers:
Ruger Revolvers Mine 6-5-2020 cropmdsm.JPG
Ruger Revolvers Mine 6-5-2020 all leftsm.JPG
The two on the right side are Ruger Security 6, one with a 4" and the other with a 6" barrel. Both in .357 and both purchased used.
The Security 6 with a 4" barrel was Magnaported and trigger work was done before I bought it. It's very smooth and quick.
(The six inch barrel revolver also shoots very well) Both were built in 1980.

Ruger Security Six 4 inch 6-5-2020 (10)sm.JPG
The revolver in the middle is the Ruger Vaquero Custom with Birds head grips, Talo special version. 357. Came with Aftermarket and original grips. Fast draw and standard hammers. Complete Wolf Springs kit.
The blued revolver is a Ruger Blackhawk single action with 2 cylinders: 45 Colt and 45 ACP (made
1999-2000).
Top left is a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. The one below it is a Single 6 with 2 cylinders, one for .22 and one for .22 mag.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron, I've allowed more Ruger revolvers to get away from me than I can actually remember. I carried a Security Six on duty for years and used it in "bowling pin" matches. Owned several then; own none now. I do have a severely pared down Ruger family; one rifle and 4 revolvers. Can't find a photo of my .250/3000 Ruger M77 from 1975; I'll find it later.
Super BH .44 mag. This revolver made my longest handgun deer kill; 90 yards. Also my shortest; 8 feet.
DSC00403.jpg

My two treasured .45 Colt BHs. Shorty has a .45 acp cylinder.
PICT0648.jpg

Favorite deer revolver, .41 mag BH.
DSC00325.jpg

Family portrait.
DSC00261.jpg

In 2008 the famous "R.L. Wilson's Ruger Collection" out of CA came up for sale. This was the largest collection of Sturm Rugers know to collectors (over 1,500 Rugers most Serial Numbers in less than 100). I'm working at Cabelas in the gun library, we here of the bids at this National Auction held by NRA in Vegas.

R. L. Wilson is a freelance consultant in the fields of Americana, firearms, and engraving and the author of more than 50 books, including benchmark works on Colt and Winchester. Born: June 24, 1939 (age 80 years)

(R. L. Wilson is a freelance consultant and author in broad fields of firearms and ... to Christie's, the international auction house, and several private collectors.) See: https://www.yellowstonepress.com/staff-member/rl-wilson/

All the guys in the library are hearing stuff about the highest bids, but none of us ever thought that Cabelas was even interested in the collection. I worked Mon. - Friday, on Sunday get a call from the library (a friend and fellow employee), "Buck, guess what, Cabelas bought the Wilson Collection last night." Talk about excitement when each store was getting 100 of these guns - super expensive, non fired, some boxes never opened, in factory boxes with all the literature.

I was really excited having owned (two) 100 plus Rugers collections (sold for funds to build a new house) and now working on a :Ruger No. One Collection". My wife kept saying "Buck forget it, the answer is NO - NO - NO". That went in one ear and out the other. Any long gun from this collection I'm looking at. Wilson had some really strange handguns like Ruger SP101 in .455 caliber, only a couple hundred made for the British Police force in the Bahamas. Special presentation weapons for Presidents of different countries, you name it he had it. What a fun time that made me dream of them for months.

Guys I had Ruger Flat-Top #Ser. No. 125 (this was the gun given to Skeeter Skelton to write an article about Ruger's new model). I found it on a dealer's table in Cheyenne Wyo. had the magazine about this gun and a box of shells with (5) cartridges fired for the article - paid $250.00 after half a day of working the dealer. Sold the handgun collection 10 years ago (this was one of the guns). It brought $1,600.00 for old #125, today the last time sold it was over $3,000.00.

That's how you make money for the next collection.

Skeeter-Skelton.jpg images.jpg images (1).jpg 2b1019f003182c42e9ad584de46be2e6--handgun-shooting.jpg

See: http://www.sixgun-forums.com/sixguns/content/17-ruger-flat-top

Last edited:
All of my Rugers were used and spontaneous purchases. Bumped into the guy at the range who wanted to part with the .44 mag SuperBlackhawk. Saw the Security 6's at separate times at a gun shop. Same with the 45 ACP-45 Colt Blackhawk - just sitting there lonely and forlorn at a gun store. I never went out intentionally looking for any of them.
I shot them regularly until my muzzle loader addiction took me to the dark powder side.
Ron

You guys have some really beautiful Rugers. If handguns for deer were legal where I live I'd be hunting whitetails with them for sure. Current wish list includes a Ruger in .357 and a .41 for out-of-state deer hunts.

The .41 pictured was acquired used and in need of a bit of TLC. The cylinder had excess play but the thing was very accurate. I sent it to Ruger asking only for a tightening of the cylinder. Well, they ended up replacing the cylinder, barrel and re-blued the whole thing. As I asked for none of this and when the BH arrived back to me, there was only a "partial" (discounted) charge for the bluing. This BH is bank vault tight, locks up solidly and the action is as smooth as silk. Plus the accuracy is nothing short of astonishing.

I am way down on my favorite manufacturer - STRUM RUGER. Seems like we don't have any after all the years of searching for the Holy Grail in Rugers firearms. My poor wife would be in tears with my collecting (she had no idea of the "collecting disease") damn near like being a hoarder or my drag racing career.

I stopped collecting like my father finally did, his favorite saying was "if you could preserve moisture, I would consider collecting spit". :rolleyes:

Here are the Ruger we still have, not anything special, just good firearms.

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

21152.jpg
Wife's favorite is her Ruger 10/22 custom .22 cal.

Fun Stuff

Last edited:
I don't have pictures of them currently, well, other than pictures of all my firearms for insurance reasons, but I do have three Rugers.
The first one is a 10/22 from my uncle for graduating high school. He gave me a "hot lips" 25 shot mag for it along with the factory 10 shot mag. It still functions flawlessly after thousands of rounds.
The second is a Redhawk in .44 mag., stainless double action with a 7.5" barrel. I bought it used from a pawn shop and it already had the target sights on it, much thinner and very nice for not covering up a bunch of the target. I found that I didn't shoot it very consistently (always shoot it single action), and wondered if aftermarket grips with finger grooves would make me grasp it the same more consistently than the smooth factory wood grips, so I bought some black Butler Creek grips for it. The wood grips looked much better against the stainless in my eyes, but I do shoot it quite a bit better with the aftermarket grips so that's what she wears. My best shot with it is a 75 yard ground squirrel, amazed my friend that was with me. I've always had visions of taking a deer with it, but just seem to always reach for my bow or Renegade when I head out the door. Maybe one day.
The third is a stainless/synthetic M77 25/06 with a 26" "heavy" barrel. It is a brick to carry, but wears a Nikon 6x-18x with BDC reticle and shoots very well. I've always had it set up as my canyon gun. Many don't like how large the BDC references are, but I've had no issue with them when reaching "out a ways". I have a whitetail hunting spot that is steep canyons that generally requires a fairly long shot, best hunting method was to be sitting on the side of a canyon when it turned daylight and catch good bucks returning to bed after a night of feeding in the crop fields up top. The last deer I took with it was a 185 yard shot to fill an extra doe tag that I drew, and the one before that was a 452 yard buck that paused while chasing a doe during the rut. I haven't hunted this spot for several years, I'd just much rather get archery or roundball close to them these days. Doesn't feel much like "hunting" to shoot one from that far away, but the rifle is very capable of it.

I've owned and let go many M77s, 2 little .44 mag semi-autos, too many revolvers and a nice 10/22. Still got the best M77, a .250 Sav. which groups under 1/2" all day and has killed uncounted numbers of deer. And 4 BHs. I liked the .250 so much I bought a Savage M99A in that caliber and used it for many years.

I have had many good Rugers over the years myself .Down to 3 No 1's a 416 Ruger ,a 9.3x74r and a 7MM Mag . I have 2 77's a 7 MM Mag and a 275 Rigby . Only two hand guns a old model Vaquero in 45 LC and a 22/45 hunter model. I used to have a old 3 screw 44 mag and a 22 single 6 , but when I came back from Germany in the early 70s Uncle Sam as usual got my pay records lost and had to part with them to feed my kids till they got around to getting it fixed . Then I had another Super Blackhawk put thousands of rounds thru it killed several deer with it and then swapped it for a Bloodhound only gun I have ever got rid of and not regretted she has been as good a pet as Ive ever had in my life and Ive had lots of them.

Back in '97 my oldest son bought me a great Ruger for my birthday. Ruger .44 mag Super Redhawk with 9-3/8 barrel!! Put a good scope on it and right now sighted at 50yds. dead on. This is one pistol I'll be passing on to the boys!! For CCW...excellent Ruger LCP .380 & Ruger NRA model LC9. Wouldn't trade for anything. Great firearms.

Here are a few of mine from the last 15 years. Still have them.
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Long Colt.
The latest is the Ruger Blackhawk Hunter with MagNaPort Conversion called the Stalker. 4 slot magnaport, action job, new cylinder pin, Weigand Scope mount and my hand loads. Can't wait for this deer season.
Mike

Attachments

• Ruger 41 Mag Hntr and shell.jpg
    Ruger 41 Mag Hntr and shell.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Ruger SBHH.jpg
    Ruger SBHH.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Group 1.jpg
    Group 1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
It certainly is great shooting! Despite the fact that I have owned a nice pistol scope for many years and even tried it on my .41 mag, I simply cannot warm up to a scoped revolver. Just me, but a revolver should be easily carried in a holster and be quick and handy. I've killed deer with 4 different revolvers and three different calibers: S&W M19 & 686, Ruger .44 mag SBH and a Ruger .41 mag BH. I always carried on my hip and used the open rear sights. If I need anything bigger or with a scope I'll carry a rifle.

It certainly is great shooting! Despite the fact that I have owned a nice pistol scope for many years and even tried it on my .41 mag, I simply cannot warm up to a scoped revolver. Just me, but a revolver should be easily carried in a holster and be quick and handy. I've killed deer with 4 different revolvers and three different calibers: S&W M19 & 686, Ruger .44 mag SBH and a Ruger .41 mag BH. I always carried on my hip and used the open rear sights. If I need anything bigger or with a scope I'll carry a rifle.
Having never (yet) hunted deer with a revolver, it sounds more and more interesting/challenging in my retirement years. Certainly a lot less weight and bulk to carry a revolver than toting a bow or rifle.
Unfortunately, I will need to hunt out-of-state when the time comes. Revolvers (while LEGAL for black bear) are not legal for deer here in Massachusetts. Is that regulation DUMB or what!
With my aging eyesight, a scoped revolver might be the only way I would feel comfortable with shot placement on deer. A target group on the bench like that of McClura above would bring a BIG smile :)on my face.

The .44 mag. Ruger Super Redhawk is what I have wanted to take an elk with. Since we didn't pull any muzzleloader tags, only choice is rifle season. Right now it is sighted at 50yds. Going to take it to 75 and see what happens. This is one revolver you don't carry on your hip! I have a chest holster for it that works beautifully.

Here are a few of mine from the last 15 years. Still have them.
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Long Colt.
The latest is the Ruger Blackhawk Hunter with MagNaPort Conversion called the Stalker. 4 slot magnaport, action job, new cylinder pin, Weigand Scope mount and my hand loads. Can't wait for this deer season.
Mike
Yardage? EXCELLENT GROUP!

Those groups were all fired at 25 yards. At 50 I'm getting under two inches and at 100 yds it is about 4-5" if I do my part.
Here is another I shot the same day, with only one cup of coffee, morning, and no shooting going on around me at my range, on Caldwell front bag and small grip bag. I loaded this ammo for my Contender 14" and it shoots better in the Ruger.
Muzzleloader48, I have the Galco "Kodiak Hunter Chest Holster", open top for scope. I have two, one for my Contenders/Encores and one for the revolvers.
Good luck on your hunts.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    994.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Kodiak_Front3_t.jpg
    Kodiak_Front3_t.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 3
Back