Has anyone tried the Pack-Jack yet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
Ultimate Firearms offer a Pack-Jack that supposedly ensures a consistant 40 pounds to seat the bullet on top of your charge. From the pictures it looks like it would slip over the ramrod. Is 40 pounds sufficient? I've been perusing the internet for a force gauge with a 100 pound range - not sure how much seating is required for BH209.

TP Collins
I ran a set of tests on that with a Triumph and reran them with the Endeavor both indicated that those particular guns needed 60 ponds for the best results, a heavier pressure did not make much difference as long as all shots for a group were loaded the same, but less pressure opened the group with fliers.
I am inclined to think that with the proper tension of sabot to maintain the pressure that other guns would act the same but I do not know that. Lee

tpcollins said:
Ultimate Firearms offer a Pack-Jack that supposedly ensures a consistant 40 pounds to seat the bullet on top of your charge. From the pictures it looks like it would slip over the ramrod. Is 40 pounds sufficient? I've been perusing the internet for a force gauge with a 100 pound range - not sure how much seating is required for BH209.

You don't need to spend $$ on that stuff. Consistent pressure from shot to shot is the key and getting that just takes some practice and experience. Put your gun's butt on a bathroom scale, put your loading rod down the barrel and push as if you were loading it until you get 50 to 70 lbs on the scale. That will give you an idea of how much pressure to load with.

I have two Omegas that shoot three shots under an inch with a few different loads all day and they don't need a "Pack-Jack." Spend your money on bullets, powder and primers and go shoot.

no need for it. i just lean my upper body weight into the ramrod until i feel the powder compress and im good to go.

I like as much consistency as I can get. The Pack-Jack may not give enough poundage to seat over BH209 so I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a force gauge - after all, it is my money I'm spending.

Latest posts

Back