TC Omega with BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedog

Reaction score
Folks,
What is your experience with the Omega with Blackhorn 209? Does the Omega have the correct style breech plug to be reliable and with BH209 or is one available? How about accuracy and load recommendations?
Thanks to all!
Billy

Sure does. My dad has an Omega and 100 -120g of BH209 shoots great in his gun with 250g Shockwave and Harvester short black sabot. Consistently MOA at 100 yds.

I have shot BH209 in my Omega and Triumph ever since they first sent me a can to try out. It has given me excellent service, the only issue is that it will carbon up the breach plug worse with some 209 than others. If you keep a 1/8 drill handy and clean the area in front of where the 209 sits between the 209 and the touch hole about every 15 shots it won't be a problem. I would suggest Hoppes #9, Hoppes #9 +50 % alk[ what I use]
the other thing that's supposed to work well is Montana X Cowboy cleaner.
I have shot all morning with out wiping the barrel once in fact it groups better if you do not. I tried both ways several times and always get tighter groups if I do not wipe. Lee

Triumph an improvement over the Omega?

Is the TC Triumph a better design than the Omega? Does it handle or shoot better?

bluedog said:
Folks,
What is your experience with the Omega with Blackhorn 209? Does the Omega have the correct style breech plug to be reliable and with BH209 or is one available? How about accuracy and load recommendations?
Thanks to all!
Billy

It sure does. It almost seems like BH209 was made for the Omega. In the Omega, BH209 is reliable and accurate. It works in mine when it is below zero. It works in mine when the rifle is quite dirty. More than once, during hunting season i have killed a deer and reloaded the omega before moving closer, just it case the deer came back to life, and left the gun loaded for days afterward sitting in the cabin of the pickup through below zero nights and bitter cold days; the next time a deer was sighted, killed another, with the Omega, without a hitch.

In my Omega, i use 105g BH209, Winchester 209 primers, and crush rib sabot. Several different 44 or 45 caliber bullets shoot well in the Omega.
My favorite hunting bullet thus far is the 300g partition. This coming season, if i can get enough tags i hope to try 4 different bullets, the 270g gold dot, the 300g xtp, and the 290g T-EZ.

Re: Triumph an improvement over the Omega?

bluedog said:
Is the TC Triumph a better design than the Omega? Does it handle or shoot better?

Some will say that that is a matter of opinion.
I am not one of them I think the Triumph is a super Omega with a break open action.
There are a number of advantages over the Omega, accuracy is not one of the I can shot one hole groups with the right load with either one.
The stock on the Triumph is better suited to scope use the the Omega.
The Breach Plug makes it a dream to clean because the is no blowback and you can take the BP out with your fingers.
I can prime the Triumph with gloves on, it is difficult to prime the Omega with out a capper even if you do not have gloves on. That covers at least the major points. Lee

Latest posts

Back