JC's 2009 monster Non-typical..16 pt's 176" Gross, 171&

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

While I have shared the story of harvesting this trophy with many of my friends, including several members of this site, I have never posted any pictures or reports on-line since I harvested this Monster Non-typical 16pt back in November.

I had been waiting for the rack to dry, to get a final score, and to allow Mike the opportunity to share it with world on his blog first.

JC

http://www.mikehanback.com/

Giant Oklahoma 16-Point Buck!
Posted On: February 16, 2010 | By: mike hanback

Ok20buck20jeff20herrman202009.jpg

Jeff Herrmann, a hard-core hunter who moderates our BIG DEER forum, guest blogs:

Hey Mike: Last November I had what I am certain will be one of the most memorable hunts of my lifetime. While I have been on a few semi-guided hunts over the years (including one featured on your blog where my girlfriend took her first buck, a 130? 9 pt) I had not yet harvested a trophy-class deer.

Last year I focused on doing whatever it would take to finally get an opportunity at a great buck. Hoping to take advantage of low, last-minute booking rates due to the weak economy, I intentionally waited until the fall to make my plans. The goal was to find a prime booking in one of the Midwestern ?sleeper? states that was on my list, where I could get access to a sizeable tract of land required to hold trophy deer. I wasn?t looking for a big lodge or fancy food, all I wanted was opportunity.

Amazingly, the stars lined up when I responded to a classifieds posting from a member of one of my favorite hunting forums. A state that was highest on my list was Oklahoma. Sure enough, the gentleman knew a landowner that was looking to book a few hunters to stay on his working cattle and oil ranch. After a few phone calls, and noting the location of the ranch and the excellent mid- November hunt dates, I quickly reached an agreement with the landowner.

After landing at the airport in OKC and driving 3 hours to the ranch, I was ecstatic to find only the ranch owner, his wife, a few family friends, and one other hunter at the property! The accommodations consisted of a spare guest house in the middle of the ranch--perfect! Better yet, I knew for certain I would be one of only two hunters on the 6,000 acres the next day for the start of rifle season!

On the second morning of the hunt I pulled the trigger on a buck I knew to be at least a very nice 10 pt. The shot was 197 yards with my .280 AI. I was absolutely amazed when I walked up on the buck, which had fallen less than 50 yards from where I had taken the shot.

He's a main-frame 10 pt with a 12? plus third main beam on his left side, kickers on his right G-1 and G-2, as well as 3 more scoreable stickers on his right bases. The buck officially scores as a 16 pt non-typical. It nets 171 5/8? and grosses 176 1/8?.

I had the hunt of a lifetime, and I was able to do it with the help of a local fellow hunter and a down to earth cattle rancher who himself hunts as much as he can.?Jeff
-------------

Wow, great buck! How smart was Jeff to network and wait to plan his hunt like that? Private ranch deals like this (no outfitter per se but a place to stay and access to prime un-pressured land) offer some of the best and most affordable hunting in the big deer world, so be on the lookout for such opportunities. Great job man! And another spectacular photo I might add. Mike Hanback..

buck

beautiful deer. I nbope he bred until the cows came home.

Jeff....

WOW....

You ARE a member of the Magilla Club ....in case I hadn't told you already.

Way to turn it on!!!
Now follow that ...if you can...it'll be a hard act to follow.
That is really a great pic.

jim

Excellent deer, his sons may be out there or even perhaps his dad. It will be difficult to top that deer but one never knows.

Trophy

That is one great deer, You have set the bar high for your self. May you remember the hunt in clear detail all your hunting career.
Wayles

Spitpatch said:
Jeff....

WOW....

You ARE a member of the Magilla Club ....in case I hadn't told you already.

Thanks Spit!

That really means alot coming from as accomplished of a hunter as you!

JC

Here is a picture of my buck upper left, with two others that were taken in the same area of the state, and were brough into the taxidemist that I had cape my buck. While all of these deer are obviously huge for any area, it really does put into perspective the types of deer that are out there!

119.jpg

These racks are all from bucks harvested just last season on the neighbors ranch.

JC

18.jpg

All of these were also taken on the neighbors ranch by family, grandfathers, sons, grandchildren etc over the years. This barn is known locally as simply the "Cow Barns" and chronicles decades of sheds and local hunting success on that one ranch alone!

JC

17.jpg

15-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

19.jpg

16.jpg

14-1.jpg

Factory ammo...first three shots out of the box..first time ever shooting this load... :shock:

JC

10-23415-2.jpg

That is impressive. No need to do much experimenting when it shoots like that.

That picture just oooozes class...
Very well thought out.
Very clean photo.
Very respectful 8)

Back