Three antelope down..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Staley

Reaction score
My son, and a good buddy and myself went forth after speedgoats this morning.. hunting in the oil field where they are used to lots of pick-up traffic.. Richie killed a P&Y buck, at 30 yds, green score 76 and 3/8 ..first thing this morning.. he shoots a Hoyt Trykon.. I killed two does, first blood with my Excaliber Vortex. my shots were 47yds and 59yds. Meat cooling in the freezer, ready to go to the butcher to be made into jerky.. great day hunting... Les

Congratulations on the goats. I once ate antelope steak. It had a different flavor, but I would not say it was bad. Then once I had antelope burger and WOW.. even the dog would not eat that stuff. I have no idea what that guy did to that burger. Jerky sounds like a good way to take care of that meat.

That is some good shooting.. those distances are more then I would care to shoot with my bow.

First blood

This is the first time I have used a crossbow. I have it sighted in to 60 yds in 10 yd divisions.. 20, 30, 36, 40, 50, and 60. Scope has lighted cirlcles for each sight-in. I would not attempt these shots without a good rangefinder being used..It's a two or three man job. The first doe was standing at 47 yds, watching us.. when I pulled the trigger, I watched the arrow arc almost six inches above her back and drop right in to the circle on her ribs...arrow passed through. she did not jump the string or flinch. went about 50 yds, and down. Second doe about the same, but broke both front legs below the shoulder, she plowed about 30 yds and out. I lost quite a bit of meat on the front quarters of both animals.. but took about 40 # to the butcher today, will get it back as Brats and Italian Sausage. Eating report to follow.. Les

Latest posts

Back