Grouse Hunting - The black powder way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I knew I had to unload the T/C 12 gauge New Englander so I could clean it. I was just going to walk out the back door and blast it off, but saw some snow falling. I kind of guessed the grouse might head early to the Black Cherry trees or the Alder thickets. So I put on my boots and took a walk around the trails I have cut through my woods. I happened to jump this little one right about where I figured them to be gathering. I got her on the way up out of the thicket, and hardly touched anything but her head. I was real happy with that, so I loaded up another round and kept walking.

As I crunched through the snow I heard something moving up ahead so I froze and dropped to one knee. Out walked two does about 40 yards from me. I hunched down there watching them and what do I see, a second grouse walking out past the deer. So now I have a choice, jump up and flush the grouse, scare the deer, or ground swat the grouse (which I hate to do actually).

Well the deer all of a sudden started staring at me. I saw the bigger one doing the ears forward and the front hoof stomping, so I knew I was going to be busted soon. The deer finally decided they had no I idea what I was, but wanted no part of it. They wheeled around, the grouse flushed and I watched all of them disappear in to the thicket.

Still it was a good day. I then walked back to the house, and finally fired off the New Englander so I could clean it..

DCP07046.jpg

I have the same BP shotgun and have never fired it. What do you use for powder and shot? Thanks in advance.
DANK

dannyk45 said:
I have the same BP shotgun and have never fired it. What do you use for powder and shot? Thanks in advance.
DANK

I've been shooting 80 grains of APP 2f and then an over the powder card. After that I put a fiber wad on top of the card and dump 90 grains of #5 shot. Then I normally put a double over the shot card. I find this a good load for out to 30 yards.

Good story, Thanks :D
I actually just purchased a TC Renegade .56cal SB (smooth bore) just for that purpouse. My plans are to go after some Ruffies this fall and if I'm quick enuf a Hungarian Partridge. Then when the seaon is all over I'll strap on the snowshoes and go after some delicous wabbits.
Cheers All

Back