Bass pro never again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
Besides them being over priced just wanted to share this story.

Went to the gun shop upstairs to buy a bolt action rifle (really i was just looking to hold the one i wanted to buy offline) I ask the guy behind the counter could he take off the trigger lock so i could feel how the trigger was

This was his exact words "I dont think so i value my life" I said what are you talking about. Him- "you could put a bullet in thier" I said even if im going to buy the gun your not gonna let me try out the trigger? No he said.

I asked to speak to the manager, he said "i am the manager" I said let me speak to someone higher than you. At this point he gets really angry and tells me i make him nervous and for me to give him the gun back.

I was just standing thier looking at my wife like is this really happening. He the starts to raise his voice and says " you will listen to me while im behind this counter ( i still dont know what he was talking about)

He then slams down his fist on the counter and asked one of his assosiates to walk me out the store. All i could say while walking off is your really threating me. I couldnt beleive it

I go down stairs talk to the store manager and explain he appologized and took my number down, said he would take care of it. He also told me that is thier policy on the guns. WOW

Im going to stick with small buisnesses from now on , people who know how to deal and treat customers. Why did i ever stray off. I started to think about it later, had they sold me the gun, they would have had to take off the trigger lock and put it in the box, i would have walked out the store with it like that. Oh well they have lost a customer for life. Thanks for listening

Dave

Bass pro

Sorry to hear about your insult. However more and more stores are beginning to do the same thing. The whole country is getting paranoid about guns. Not to support Bass Pro, cause I don't like them either, but in a local gun store here in Vermont it happened. A customer went into the store, took a 12ga off the shelf, put a shell in it, put the muzzle in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Now if you go into that store to look at a gun the owner stands there real close while you look then locks it back up again.

I would give the corporate office a call about what had happened. His statement is an insult. I know that you put your life on the line not only for me and this great country of our's but for that idiot also. Thank you Dave for protecting my freedom. I would like to wish you and your family the best during this holiday season!

Thank you for the kind words. You and your family have a wonderful christmas too

Dave

I bought a shotgun from GanderMountain one time (only because it was mismarked and CHEAP). They told me that they had to walk the gun to the exit door, I was not allowed to carry it out on my own. I told the guy thats a pretty stupid policy since I was currently carrying a loaded concealed handgun. His eyes went :shock: and then he said it didn't matter as its their policy. Im sure BP would have carried that gun to the door as well. I bought a SuperBlackhawk from BP a number of years ago and I don't remember if they walked me out or not but I do know that I was able to fondle the trigger as they did the paperwork.

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site. Ibought a rifle a couple years ago from Walmart and they carried it out the front door and then handed it to me. They left the rifle on the counter without a lock while I signed all the paperwork, even let me handle it.

Here in Ma all firearms must have trigger locks on them while transporting to & from (except a hand gun with a LTC). You could face a $1,000 fine and have your firearm confiscated. You cant leave the store without a trigger lock on the firearm so you need to bring one with you or you will be charged for one at the store. Another one of Ma's sucky laws. Most stores around here walk you out the door when you buy a gun. At Kittery Trading Post in Maine you can pick up any one of hundreds of long guns off the shelf to feel them out. You can do the same with their hand guns but you need a salesman to get one out of the case for you. They also walk you out the door when you buy one except for muzzleloaders. All the Walmarts in this area stopped carrying firearms and will soon stop selling ammo. It's getting tougher everyday for legal, responsible gun owners.
Frank

sounds like you guys broke even

you wasted their time by knowing you weren't gonna buy the rifle there anyway then they wasted your time

john keyes said:
sounds like you guys broke even

you wasted their time by knowing you weren't gonna buy the rifle there anyway then they wasted your time

I should have taken that gift card the manager offered , then i would have came out on top :lol: No, guess im just getting older and not liking all these stupid laws. Ofcourse their are crazy people out thier, but you cant make a law everytime someone does something new and stupid can you? Most guns i look at are from a pawn shop, you know they will let you hold a gun and get a good feel for it. I was not aware how bad things have gotten at the big stores. Just like shooter 44 said, he had a loaded concealed pistol while walking him to the door with his rifle :D i thought that was pretty funny. I guess im behind the times thanks for listening.

john keyes said:
what rifle is it and what caliber?
The one i was looking at was a thompson center venture, dont know what caliber, i do remember it was not a caliber i wanted. Anyway i did not like the stock , it had the hollow stock. Tupperware if you will. Still.... could be a good gun though didnt get to try that trigger out :lol:

I am also fed up with BP as their prices are through the stratosphere. As far as how you were treated, as in all things in life there is a correct cicvil way to do things and a blaintantly ignorant and stupid way to do things. The BP employee handeld it using the latter method.

I would write a letter to corporate allong with as many accompaning sigitures as you can find people willing to sighn all stating even if you recieve a appologe from BP none will shop there any more. I would also include if any of these people have BP credit cards if willing them returned cut up.

The only way you will ever get any corporate entitity to tack action is to hit them in their pocket books.

That is why I patronize a mid sized father/son gun store by my house. As all employees are armed, they allow me to take out 3-4 HGs at a time to compair eny diferences btwn them I wish. That is why I have bought 4 HGs from them in the last 3yrs.

ART338WM said:
I am also fed up with BP as their prices are through the stratosphere. As far as how you were treated, as in all things in life there is a correct cicvil way to do things and a blaintantly ignorant and stupid way to do things. The BP employee handeld it using the latter method.

I would write a letter to corporate allong with as many accompaning sigitures as you can find people willing to sighn all stating even if you recieve a appologe from BP none will shop there any more. I would also include if any of these people have BP credit cards if willing them returned cut up.

The only way you will ever get any corporate entitity to tack action is to hit them in their pocket books.

That is why I patronize a mid sized father/son gun store by my house. As all employees are armed, they allow me to take out 3-4 HGs at a time to compair eny diferences btwn them I wish. That is why I have bought 4 HGs from them in the last 3yrs.

Thats what i did Art i bought a gun from a small local gun shop and was very pleased with the decision. I wont be shopping at bass pro shop again, thiers too many other places to shop. And yes thier prices are probably so high because they have to decorate every store to look like the outside. Thanks for your reply

ART338WM said:

Thats what i did Art i bought a gun from a small local gun shop and was very pleased with the decision. I wont be shopping at bass pro shop again, thiers too many other places to shop. And yes thier prices are probably so high because they have to decorate every store to look like the outside. Thanks for your reply

yea same thing at the bps here in michigan. it's not far from a pretty seedy neighborhood. lots of shady goons looking at hand guns all the time. they watch them like a hawk too. if they walk in wearing droopy pants and a crooked hat, plain cloths security will follow them around like lost puppies. really though sicko's come in all flavors, so i don't mind afew cautious policies.you just never know! i have bought two long guns from bps and one from cabelas. never had a problem working the actions with the locks removed.

bad part about shopping the big box stores ~vs~ mom and pop shops is bps and the like buy in volume and their sales are though to beat. personaly i much rather have the friendly home type service from a small shop then be another number for bps. i don't mind paying a few bucks more or waiting for something to be ordered if i don't need it in my hand right away.

Back