A day at the range...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffG1

Reaction score
Getting my Ol' Faithful ready to make meat this fall. It's a flintlock smoothbore. I can shoot bird shot or ball out of it. Shooting a .54 patched round ball over 100gs of FFFG . The first target at 15 yards, the second at 25. I did a little sight adjustment to get the point of impact above the front sight some. It's always a relaxed, slow paced time that I enjoy very much.

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 10
Good shooting for sure.
100 grains of 3f, that's gotta be chucking them out there pretty fast.

There is a good chance I could take a bison this fall, so I want to have the oomph! to get the job done. I'm making plans to target the load at 50 and 75 yards as well.

Last edited:
That's quite a good looking gun you have. With that load I believe you'll be delighted with your 50 yard groups. There's no question that load will take critters larger than deer quite nicely. And with your gun being a .54 the velocity with 100 grains of black is - as the Brits would likely say - adequate.

Good job Jeff. Maybe this year I can go hunting again. I've been unhealthy as they say for the past couple of years. Bovine valve installed in my "carburetor" then a pace maker. Now have 20/20 and 20/25 vision thanks to cataract surgery so can see the sites again.
I've shot my last 15 deer with a .54cal traditional rifle with a 1 1/8" Bill Large barrel shooting a .535ball, .20thousands canvas patching with homemade moose milk above 95grns. Goex 3F powder. This has been my go to load for them all. I try to keep my shots 125yrds or less and have had excellent results. No lost game and quick recovery and only needed one shot. Hopefully I can hunt again this year. I'm gonna be 77 this month. Your targets look good.
Big John

Thanks Big John! And good luck to you, I hope you get out this year! I am going to stretch the target distance out to 50 yards next time out. I load powder and put a beeswax lubed fiber wad down, then my patched .530 ball.

That's quite a good looking gun you have. With that load I believe you'll be delighted with your 50 yard groups. There's no question that load will take critters larger than deer quite nicely. And with your gun being a .54 the velocity with 100 grains of black is - as the Brits would likely say - adequate.
Thanks, Hanshi.

Very nice smoke pole and great shooting. I'm at a place where I'm looking for a smooth bore now. My choice is a 20 gauge fowler or 58 cal. I did some casting last week while it was raining. Stocking up on my .54 round balls for the flinter. That's all I hunt with now. You should be in the money at 50 and probably a lot farther with that load.
Good luck at whatever you hunt.

Mike

Good job Jeff. Maybe this year I can go hunting again. I've been unhealthy as they say for the past couple of years. Bovine valve installed in my "carburetor" then a pace maker. Now have 20/20 and 20/25 vision thanks to cataract surgery so can see the sites again.
I've shot my last 15 deer with a .54cal traditional rifle with a 1 1/8" Bill Large barrel shooting a .535ball, .20thousands canvas patching with homemade moose milk above 95grns. Goex 3F powder. This has been my go to load for them all. I try to keep my shots 125yrds or less and have had excellent results. No lost game and quick recovery and only needed one shot. Hopefully I can hunt again this year. I'm gonna be 77 this month. Your targets look good.
Big John
Looks like we are practically twins! Here I sit with a bovine aortic valve and decent vision due to cataract surgery. Add 2 knee surgeries to re-attach a ruptured quadriceps tendon and I find myself re-manufactured.
Ron

Looks like we are practically twins! Here I sit with a bovine aortic valve and decent vision due to cataract surgery. Add 2 knee surgeries to re-attach a ruptured quadriceps tendon and I find myself re-manufactured.
Ron

If I may be forgiven for the use of barnyard "patois", you've been through a lot of ****, Ron; and the same with you, big john. I feel a bit relieved that my problems are mostly confined to the "superstructure". Best wishes for you both.

There is a good chance I could take a bison this fall, so I want to have the oomph! to get the job done. I'm making plans to target the load at 50 and 75 yards as well.
Jeff, wish you the best on getting that bison. On my bucket list before I kick the bucket. But, a very pricey adventure, although the meat is worth it. Best tasting ever.

Ron

I haven't gone the knee route quite yet. Being stubborn and having a high pain tolerance have kept me from the knife. These old knees have been bone on bone for the past 15 yrs or so. They have gotten much worse in the past 6 months so it is time to knuckle down and lose the 40 more pounds they want me to. We'll see about that!!
Big John

I'll always remember the time my 8th grade teacher ran into the trashcan next to her desk. One wiseacre yelled, "our teacher kicked the bucket". I gave him a hard look and said, "no, she just turned a little pail".

Back