Good oil for Lyman Great Plains stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthefarm

Reaction score
Whats a good oil for adding coats and shining the stock, available at a general hardware store?

oil

tung oil is what I have been using on that stock of mine. Every year I sand it down and recoat twice.

Just got the last coat of Tru oil on my GPR. Put on seven coats. Turned out excellent I think. I still need to get some Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen Conditioner and buff off that glossy finish to a nice satin.
2612ia0.jpg

Wow! That is pretty!

And I guess I just learned that I should take it to bare wood before start. It is always a learning experience to start a conversation here.

onthefarm said:
Wow! That is pretty!

And I guess I just learned that I should take it to bare wood before start. It is always a learning experience to start a conversation here.
I didnt take mine to bare wood. The Great Plains Rifle comes in the box with just a stained stock, no oil. I wiped it down with a damp cloth, let it dry and started applying the Tru oil. I rubbed the oil on with my fingers and stretched it out very thin. After it dried, rubbed it lightly with 0000 steel wool before the next coat. Worked great.

refinish

I didnt take mine to bare wood. The Great Plains Rifle comes in the box with just a stained stock, no oil. I wiped it down with a damp cloth, let it dry and started applying the Tru oil. I rubbed the oil on with my fingers and stretched it out very thin. After it dried, rubbed it lightly with 0000 steel wool before the next coat. Worked great.

Exactly finger tipe rubbing in. as hard as I could push and rub wore down my finger tips. The sitting until dry, and then steel wooling is very important. Did mine over a winter time enjoying a bourbon, the foreplace and my tunes on the ipod.

I use Tru Oil on mine. It is a little more of a deeper red in tone then most of my factory rifles, but I like it still.

Minwax Satin Tung Oil Finish works really well and it isn't a high gloss finish.

i got 9 coats on this stock right now with Tru Oil. Im not certain how i will finish the finish after i get the final # of coats on though. May leave it high gloss or cut it down to a classic finish look.
000_1204.jpg

Sure came a long way from this ugly lookin finish
000_1136.jpg

I use the eastern maine shooting supplies premium lube. The same lube that I use on my patched round balls in my lyman gpr.

I put a little on my hands and rub it in the stock every time I clean it. Man, that stock looks incredible.

FYI, I also use it to coat the inside of the barrell to prevent rust.

Great stuff!

Johnny

Latest posts

Back