Hornady FPB's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuff

Reaction score
Has any one used them{FPB'S} in a NEF huntsman or sidekick with good accuracy?How do they load compared to Power Belts?

thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Welcome! IMO you would be hard pressed to find any bullet that is more consitantly accurate out of the Huntsman/Sidekick. These were all shot out of a 24" SS Huntsman. These were shot with different types of breech plugs, and different primers. Most were shot with the Metrics Unlimited breech plug. None of these wer shot with the factory breech plug that uses the orange primer carriers, BH209 is not reliable in those plugs, as they allow too much gas to leak out for proper ignition. I use custom breech plugs with bare 209 primers only.

They load smooth in the NEF .502" bores.

Here is the first group I ever shot with them.
013-5.jpg

Some more groups.
003-1.jpg

80 gr BH209
016.jpg

90 gr BH209
017.jpg

100 gr BH209
018.jpg

110 gr BH209
015.jpg

7/8" Hubbard plug on right next to 7/8" factory plug
009-5.jpg

012-4.jpg

MU breech plugs 7/8"
028.jpg

MU breech plug 5/8"
045-2.jpg

013.jpg

Other custom plugs w/liner
012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

I have the new MU plug,I spoke to you on a few things on another forum before something happened.anyways...

Thanks for the input,I have been trying to find the new 300gr FPB's at Gander mountain,no luck yet.Have you seen how they perform on deer size game?

Also,would the stock ramrod damage the the hornady tip?

Thanks Busta
Steve

The stock ramrod might damage the tip. I always use a hornady loading jag to load bullets.

Also, not familiar with that rifle, but if it does not have a false muzzle to help load the bullets, there is a learning curve on how to load them. I have a short bullet starter with a hornady loading jag permanently attached. You have to allign the bullet to the barrel with the starter and give it a "whack" downward with your palm to get the bullet started into the riflings. Then you can finish loading with your ramrod.

I also find that having a ramrod with a "T" handle helps tremendously to load it the rest of the way. I have a ramrod that has a T that is premanately attached and just folds straight when it is in the gun.

sbuff said:
I have the new MU plug,I spoke to you on a few things on another forum before something happened.anyways...

Thanks for the input,I have been trying to find the new 300gr FPB's at Gander mountain,no luck yet.Have you seen how they perform on deer size game?

Also,would the stock ramrod damage the the hornady tip?

Thanks Busta
Steve

Here is another group I shot with the other custom breech plug. 80 gr BH209 and the 350 gr FPB. The lower hole had two bullets go through it, I messed up the third and it went high.

100_2928.jpg

I haven't see the 300 grain FPB's anywhere yet except for on Hornady's website. I couldn't tell you, but I would bet they would be great for deer size game. I wouldn't use the 300 on Elk or truely big game when there is a 350 grain option that is legal in CO, as long as you cut the tip flush with the bullet or remove it.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-300-gr-FPB

The 350's work great on deer, but I have been unable to recover one from an animal. 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 and the 350 gr FPB knocks 'em dead! :wink:

100_2983.jpg

As far as the standard tip on the ramrod, I wouldn't use it. I have had some custom jags made to fit the standard rod that work awesome. The Hubbard rod would work very good as well. Here is some pics of the custom jags for the Huntsman. They are threaded to lock ramrod closed like the original, but also allow you to run a patch down AND BACK UP, and seat pointed bullets.

012-1.jpg

007.jpg

004-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Busta,would a after market loading jag replace the stock one,or would I have to get a hubbards rod?

Also,shooting 100gr of T7 pellets,would that be enough to shoot the 350gr FPB with most shots being under 100 yards.

Thanks,
Steve.

sbuff said:
Busta,would a after market loading jag replace the stock one,or would I have to get a hubbards rod?

Also,shooting 100gr of T7 pellets,would that be enough to shoot the 350gr FPB with most shots being under 100 yards.

Thanks,
Steve.

There are two problems, NEF used 8-32 threads, most are 10-32, and the jag has threads that lock the ramrod closed. You can buy a 8-32 male to 10-32 female adapter that a normal recessed jag would screw into, but you would not be able to lock your ramrod in the closed position on the rifle as designed. The Hubbard rod comes with a 10-32 jag for cleaning and seating pointed bullets.

100 grains of 777 pellets is more than enough for that range. I wouldn't be afraid to go to 125 or even 150 as long as I knew the trajectory before hand.

sbuff said:
Do you have hubbards info?

thanks..

His website no longer works, so I wont even bother to give you that, but here is the contact info. Ben is his first name, and a real southern gentleman. He used to do business the old fashioned way (send item with invoice, then you send check for payment), but it seems that he has got burned a few too many times lately. It's too bad, but I guess there are guys that don't mind doing that sort of thing.

Hubbard's Outdoor Products
7926 Hwy 155
Montevallo, Alabama 35115
205-665-0444 or 1-800-236-7486
[email protected]

Back