Green Mountain's Limited Edition .54 "Brush Rifle"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
Anyone else on this forum own one of these, looking for more info from actual owners before buying one. I know how Toby and GM54-120 feel about the gun!!! Anyone else have any input???? Also what is a realistic limit on the range of this gun? Is 100 yds it? Or is that too far even? Most of my hunting is 50 yds or less, but sometimes a longer situation presents itself!!

Having shot White Rifles with the same rifling, once you find a good conical or sabot load, I would not see 150 yards as out of the question. Even more is your a good shot. Put a quality scope on that and you would be good to go at about any distance I would guess. This is one rifle that really has my interest.

I don't own one but they are nice looking.

What would happen if you needed a replacement part? Does Green Mountain handle that or do have to rely on Knight?

You would probably have to stock up on the red primer discs unless there is a conversion I'm not aware of.

I don't think you would have any problem working up a load that would be accurate out to 100 yards and some may be good to 150.

fliowa said:
I don't own one but they are nice looking.

What would happen if you needed a replacement part? Does Green Mountain handle that or do have to rely on Knight?

You would probably have to stock up on the red primer discs unless there is a conversion I'm not aware of.

I don't think you would have any problem working up a load that would be accurate out to 100 yards and some may be good to 150.

A NFPJ conversion is in the works from a 3rd party (fairly soon too) if Knight can no longer supply them. As far as i know Green Mountain does handle the service needs. The "disks" are still available by the 100 pack but getting harder to find.

There are a few reasonably priced bullets that should be able to reach 150 yard plus with over 1000lbs of energy and adequate accuracy for hunting. The Hornady 50cal 300gr FTX comes to mind.

I forgot to mention that you can still get parts from knight (breechplugs, fpjs, etc). The rifle comes with a FPJ setup (which I prefer for hunting). You can also install the NFPJ conversion from Knight and it works great. I prefer the FPJ plug for hunting because of the better sealing and because the FPJs are easier to load in cold conditions. The breechplug is the same as the Knight extreme breechplug so you can interchange accordingly. As long as you use the normal precautions (1/8 drill through the flash hole, etc) the rifle works great with BH209. I did have a few issues until I switched to CCI 209m primers and learned to keep the flash channel clean. I have also tried 777 and that works with the usual precautions. No reason BP and Pyrodex wouldn't work as well.

The GMB 54-120 is one of the best guns I've ever owned. I use a 430 gr. TC Maxi-Ball over 100 gr. Pyrodex. Very accurate load with 1" or less groups at 100 yards. This is also the best rifle for close cover offhand shooting I own. It has a slight edge over my Omega X7. Trigger pull on mine is a little less than 2.5 lbs.
I live about an hour and a half from GMB so made a call and got mine direct from their factory while on a camping trip. I had great service.
I hunt swampland in southern Massachusetts and this gun excels there. Not a long range gun but it Hammers them at the 50 yd or less distances that I take deer at.
If it's a close cover gun you're looking for you won't be disapointed.

kelleyga said:
I have this rifle and really like it.

I posted my initial experience with this rifle here:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9937

My normal load and zero provides a max PBR of 150 yds. It is not just a short range rifle, but the .50s will do better in the long range game. The rifle is a fabulous deal for the price.

That was a really good review, i feel a bit ashamed i havent been able to give any solid first hand data yet.

Work, weather and health have not been cooperating. :D

Mine had all the items with the gun too but they accidentally sent me a .32 cal cleaning jag. Maybe the jeweled bolt is only on the stainless. Mine is jeweled.

I sight in all of mine at roughly 2-3" high at 100yards. Right or wrong it works for me. :D Im still not sure if i will scope mine. Its just so nice looking the way it is and i want it light. I may just go 1" high at 25yard and stay with the supplied sights.

kelleyga said:
I have this rifle and really like it.

I posted my initial experience with this rifle here:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9937

My normal load and zero provides a max PBR of 150 yds. It is not just a short range rifle, but the .50s will do better in the long range game. The rifle is a fabulous deal for the price.
What is the Supr-Rod you spoke of in your review??

Hmm, I guess I misnamed the first replacement ramrod I used. It was a TC Power Rod, with the folding handle. Very nice, but the folding handle keeps you from installing a SpinJag and leaving it on the rifle. Now I am using a giRAMROD from the SpinJag folks and I like it a lot. It is a solid rod and I can leave a SpinJag on the ramrod at all times. I use a short starter that has a hole in the ball the right size to serve as a palm saver over the ramrod. This is now my preferred solution. The factory ramrod was way to flexible.

If you decide to go with this rifle, take a look at the Safari Sling. It is a great way to carry this rifle in the woods and have it always immediately available.

Back