825 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock, BACO .443-530E

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I Hammered my 20”X20” inch Gong at 825 Yards this Morning With the Ole Sidelock, 3 Shots just under MOA 👍 Buffalo Arms Mold JIM443-530E Elliptical Paper Patch

Thompson Center Renegade Stock, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule (Super Grade) Tang Peep sight. 32” Green Mountain Barrel, 1:18 Twist .45 Cal, With Lee Shaver adjustable Windage front sight, and Shaver’s BPCR Inserts.

lR1mCTTl.jpg

0R24XEZl.jpg

aLuF108l.jpg

1l1WpSXm.jpg

liQjc25l.jpg

Way to go
I Hammered my 20”X20” inch Gong at 825 Yards this Morning With the Ole Sidelock, 3 Shots just under MOA 👍 Buffalo Arms Mold JIM443-530E Elliptical Paper Patch

Thompson Center Renegade Stock, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule (Super Grade) Tang Peep sight. 32” Green Mountain Barrel, 1:18 Twist .45 Cal, With Lee Shaver adjustable Windage front sight, and Shaver’s BPCR Inserts.

lR1mCTTl.jpg

0R24XEZl.jpg

aLuF108l.jpg

1l1WpSXm.jpg

liQjc25l.jpg

Lewis. that is some fantastic shooting. Now keep those CF's close by. May need to group and use soon.

Thank you Fella’s, I sure enjoy this Stuff. It Doesn’t matter if it’s 50 Yard Patched Roundball, or Shooting My Home Cast Bullets (such as above) Over to another County, I have Just as much fun with one, as i do the other 👍

Man! That is farther than even good shots with scoped cf rifles can hit. Incredible marksmanship! How do you even SEE that far.

X2
holy $#@& !!!!that's amazing. I see a peep sight in the rear. Is there something mid barrel as well? What's the front sight? Crazy good shooting lewis! I wish you lived closer, I coul use a bench lesson, and some of those carrots your eating. Your like ted williams.

Thank you Fella’s, I sure enjoy this Stuff. It Doesn’t matter if it’s 50 Yard Patched Roundball, or Shooting My Home Cast Bullets (such as above) Over to another County, I have Just as much fun with one, as i do the other 👍
You sure that wasn't the next state?!

I guess if I put up a gong in Normandy it would be about the same distance from me! I'd be able to see it about as well as I can see one at 800+ yards!

Thanks again Guy’s, I put a lot of Time and Effort in this Stuff, Something i thoroughly enjoy. It’s ALL in Fun to me. I would NEVER EVER Shoot at a Game Animal like this, To many things Can, and DO go Wrong at these Distances. But it sure is neat to be able to Consistently Hit a Target this Far away with Open/Peep Sights 👍

The Peep sight System plays a HUGE Roll in this. In Fact, There is NO WAY i could do this Without this Peep sight Setup. From My Hadley Eye Cup, to the Fine BPCR inserts in my Front Globe sight, It’s ALL a “System” That works together

My Chosen Bullet, The way i Cast It, the type of Paper i am patching my Bullets with, My Powder, and Chosen Powder Charge ALL have to work WELL Together in order to do the above.

And lastly, But EXTREMELY important is my Discipline in Shooting, I shoot a Lot. Recoil is Something i am not a Big fan of, And These 530 Grain Bullets being Pushed with 85 Grains of Swiss 2F Blackpowder Kick Pretty Darn HARD, They get “Annoying“ to the Shoulder fairly Quick! But in order to Make Shots like the Above, you have to Discipline yourself to Accept Recoil for what it is, I can’t HANG ON to my Rifle in a Firm Manner, in fact I don’t even Touch the Forend of the Rifle, That Hand is actually back at my Chin, The Butt of the Rifle is Just resting against my Shoulder. In short, I can’t GRAB the Rifle, Pull it in to my Shoulder TIGHT, and Try to “Hold it Down”, I have to Let the Rifle Recoil “Freely” I get on Target, set my Trigger, and Squeeze til the Shot “Breaks” Allowing the Rifle to do WHATEVER it wants to, and That’s kicking the CR@P out of ya 😄

Your telling us we can't pick them up at Walmart ....... .:rolleyes: Well there goes that plan, hell Hanshi would have bought them in a heart beat ... :coffee:

Thanks again Guy’s, I put a lot of Time and Effort in this Stuff, Something i thoroughly enjoy. It’s ALL in Fun to me. I would NEVER EVER Shoot at a Game Animal like this, To many things Can, and DO go Wrong at these Distances. But it sure is neat to be able to Consistently Hit a Target this Far away with Open/Peep Sights 👍

The Peep sight System plays a HUGE Roll in this. In Fact, There is NO WAY i could do this Without this Peep sight Setup. From My Hadley Eye Cup, to the Fine BPCR inserts in my Front Globe sight, It’s ALL a “System” That works together

My Chosen Bullet, The way i Cast It, the type of Paper i am patching my Bullets with, My Powder, and Chosen Powder Charge ALL have to work WELL Together in order to do the above.

And lastly, But EXTREMELY important is my Discipline in Shooting, I shoot a Lot. Recoil is Something i am not a Big fan of, And These 530 Grain Bullets being Pushed with 85 Grains of Swiss 2F Blackpowder Kick Pretty Darn HARD, They get “Annoying“ to the Shoulder fairly Quick! But in order to Make Shots like the Above, you have to Discipline yourself to Accept Recoil for what it is, I can’t HANG ON to my Rifle in a Firm Manner, in fact I don’t even Touch the Forend of the Rifle, That Hand is actually back at my Chin, The Butt of the Rifle is Just resting against my Shoulder. In short, I can’t GRAB the Rifle, Pull it in to my Shoulder TIGHT, and Try to “Hold it Down”, I have to Let the Rifle Recoil “Freely” I get on Target, set my Trigger, and Squeeze til the Shot “Breaks” Allowing the Rifle to do WHATEVER it wants to, and That’s kicking the CR@P out of ya 😄
I'm glad you reminded the readers that mental precision and accuracy at your level doesn't come without a price to pay in terms of physical discomfort. Not an easy task to endure by any means.

8.25 feet is also no problem for me. My smoothie with a healthy charge of shot almost guarantees a hit somewhere on the target provided I do my part.

8-1/4 feet is "probably" within my shooting capability if I hold my mouth juuust right. Only problem with shooting at that, ahem! foggy distance is the muzzle blast sometimes tears the target paper. :cheers: :cool:

8-1/4 feet is "probably" within my shooting capability if I hold my mouth juuust right. Only problem with shooting at that, ahem! foggy distance is the muzzle blast sometimes tears the target paper. :cheers: :cool:
Don't think that's the correct range Lewis was referring too Hanshi ... :rolleyes:

Years ago when Winchester brought out the .338 caliber, a friend jumped on one. We were hunting elk together that fall. I'm using my Ruger Scout Rifle in .308. Tom saw a cow elk at 334 feet per his fancy range finder, took three shots and didn't bother the old gal.

He's says "$5.00 bucks says you can't hit her either", he didn't say with what.... I go to the truck 25 yards away and get out my 1874 Sharps in 40/70 2 -1/10 caliber with Lee Shaver Long Range Soule site (like Lewis's). Tom is laughting, i pull my range adjustments book from shirt pocket and look at setting for 325 yards, set sight and kill the cow with one shot.

Held my hand out for the reward ..... :p....:rolleyes:

Back