TC shockwave vs TC XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsmit56001

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am very new to muzzleloading and I am trying to find the most economical and best value load for my new TC omega. I fired the shockwaves that came with the gun and they seemed to group well but they are a bit more expensive than the XTP's. I am using 2 pellets of triple seven but I am looking at switching to Blackhorn 209 since everyone says it is quite good. I guess my question is, is it best to stick with the shockwaves with the triple seven pellets or should I look at buying in bulk the hornady XTP's and bulk sabots and using the savings to upgrade to BH209? Also is there really a huge savings by buying in bulk with the hornadys?

Thanks,

Josh

Buying your bullets in bulk is the only way to go. Either on-line or perhaps a local shop that carries re-loading components. Sabots can also be bought in bulk. You'll have to determine which shoot best in your rifle. Some projectiles are a little tough to find, but the supply seems to be getting better. If you decide you like the shockwaves/sst's, you can purchase the FTX's by hornady for punching paper.(same bullet basically) They are a little tougher bullet. They worked fine for me on a recent whitetail hunt. Powder is personal preference, They all have their faults. Price wise, you can't go wrong with T-7 or pyro. With BH you'll save on patches. Hope this helps. The hornady sst's and the shockwaves are the same bullet, just different packaging. I don't know if the sst's are available in bulk any more. Someone else may be able to help with that.

The Hornady XTP pistol bullets max out in velocity at about 1700 FPS at impact distance other wise they will blow up on a deer especially if bone is hit.

I had a hunting buddy shoot a deer in the shoulder at 75 yards with a 250 gr. XTP with a 3 pellet load. What a mess, The bullet hit a shoulder blade
and blew up with just bullet fragments intering the deer to kill. it.

He shoots a 250 gr. shock-wave now. I warned him that would happen.

Most of the bullet jacket actually skinned the hair/hide off the shoulder blade. I had never seen anything like it.

Chocdog

I have no experience with the XTP's. I like Barnes bullets for deer hunting. For target practice, we use the Shockwaves and SSTs.

I bought hornady's FTX 250 grain bullets in a 50 count box for around $27 in early summer from a local gun shop. He had to order them, but it was cheaper than ordering off of Hornady's website. Just checked and on their website they are $34.92 for a box of 50.

Now if I could only order Barnes 250 grain TMZ bullets in bulk. Anyone know?

Got back into muzzleloader hunting in 1999. Since then I have killed about 20 deer and many dozens of hogs with the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet. Never had that bullet fail to penetrate the shoulder of a deer or hog, even a big boar hog.

Went to Scheels today and found the shockwaves onsale $9.99 for a pack of 15. I bought 3 packs and I also bought a pack of the TC XTP pack $14.99 for 30 bullets. In my case there was not much of a savings buying bulk for the xtp's. Now i just need to get to the range and put some holes in paper.

Anyone know the big difference with the Shockwaves vs the XTP? The guy at the store said the XTP will have more knockdown power.

Josh

we ( me , my sons and a few friends ) have had great luck with 300 grain XTP . I will be hunting for the first time with 300 grain 452 Gold dot this next week and the following week . I understand Gold dots are bonded and have a better controlled mushroom where the XTP can ( not see that yet ) blow apart . I have never had a xtp stay in a animal , They went right through on both the deer i shot and the two Elk i have seen shot .

codyelk12.jpg

The best time to stock up on M-L bullets is after hunting seasons are over, Jan & later. You can usually find them at about 1/2 off, Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting goods etc.. I like 250 grn SSTs, but others are fine too.

a 250gr pointed bullet like used in the Shockwaves has the same sectional density as a 250gr XTP of the same diameter(.451-.452). The pointed bullet will have a higher BC, so will retain velocity better at supersonic speeds. At trans-sonic or subsonic speeds(1200fps or less), the XTP is probably better due to less exposed surface to cause drag.

Out to 100 yards, there shouldn't be much difference in trajectory. Bullet construction will come into play, so check Hornady's recommended velocities for XTP vs FTX for the expected impact range.

For smallish whitetails and lung/heart shots, either should be fine. I think the 300gr Shockwaves would be better for larger game and longer distances(better BC and SD with not much difference in MV). The 300gr may well be moving faster beyond 100 yards.

My own Omega doesn't seem to be fussy about sabots or bullets provided they are a tight fit. It shoots 240gr or 250gr XTPs to the same POI as 250FTX(Shockwaves) at 100 yards over the same powder charge(100gr BH209).

XTPs seem to be about 1/2 price of the FTX, and the sabots the same for both, so XTPs are the economical choice. The extra mass of the 300gr XTPs might be a good choice.

IMO, BH209 is the only way to go. Check the price of those pellets vs the weight in the package, and I think you'll find the pellets as expensive or even more than BH209. With Blackhorn you can shoot as much as you like without cleaning. The 25th shot loads just as easily as the first. Cleanup is easy with a few Hoppes patches. The really stubborn fouling will be in the primer recess in the breech plug, and its fouling from the primers, not the powder.

"Out to 100 yards, there shouldn't be much difference in trajectory. Bullet construction will come into play, so check Hornady's recommended velocities for XTP vs FTX for the expected impact range.......My own Omega doesn't seem to be fussy about sabots or bullets provided they are a tight fit. It shoots 240gr or 250gr XTPs to the same POI as 250FTX(Shockwaves) at 100 yards over the same powder charge(100gr BH209)."

Sorry; messed up the quote box above....
Just goes to show; Ya gotta shoot your own! 240 grain xtps hit 4-5 inches lower than 250 grain T/C PTX's (the old shockwave style) out of my Encore....of course I went to get another couple boxes this summer and they don't make 'em (PTX's) any more, so I'm using the shockwave now....after deer season, I'll be looking for something else(Hornady pistol bullets) that can be bought in bulk...20 for $15 is ridiculous!

I have a omega it shoots the nosler bullets good with a crush rib sabot.

for shooting at targets i use .45 colt 250gr .451''

for deer hunting this year im going to be useing a nosler partiton HG 260gr .451''

form want i have seen form both bullets the .45 colt will darn near shoot hole for hole with the partition out to 100 yards.

I dont know is you can use the .45 colt for deer hunting are not. i hope this helps

sam

Good tip with the FTX's. I'll be buying them from now on unless something much better comes along. I like the shockwaves but they are way over priced.

xtp

I use the mag and am very happy w/ performance on deer. The only bullet that I shot first and last time on a deer was a PB, but that ain't the argument I am here for...........

You might want to try 90 grains of BH 209 and a 250 grain HP/XTP.

Back