600 Yard .50 Cal Patched Roundball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
This is something i have wanted to try for a year now, I finally got a chance to Swing at it Yesterday Morning. It was a Perfect Morning for it, Dead Calm. My Setup, A TC Renegade Stock with a Lee Shaver Super Grade Long Range Soule Tang Sight, A Green Mountain .50 Cal Barrel 1:70 Twist, I have a Tall Lee Shaver Adjustable windage Front Globe sight mounted in this barrel, (I needed his Taller front sight to be able to get a 100 Yard Zero) I have 3 Barrels with this Same Front sight that i Swap back n forth in this Stock, Due to the Long Range Soule Tang Sight
The Load was 80 Grains by Weight of Swiss 2F Powder, .020 Denim Patches from Bulk material that i Cut from a Home Made Cutter i fabricated that fits in my Drill Press, Patches Lubed with my Rendered Bear Fat/Bees Wax/Lanolin Mixture. The Balls are my Home Cast .495s from a Lyman Mold, They are Weighed and Kept to the 1/10 of a Grain, The Sprues Removed in my Vibratory Tumbler with Powdered Graphite.

Target is a Ranged 600 Yards (Same place i shot the 600 Yard Knight Mountaineer, and this Same Sidelock Stock, with 1:18 Twist .45 Cal Bullet Barrel) The Target is an MR-1, Official NRA 600 Yard Center, The Black Aiming Bull is 36” Diameter. That BIG Target gets Small again when it’s 600 Yards out there
wtCOf9Um.jpg

Recovered 600 Yard Ball, This was Shot #1 that Went high, over top of the Target. It left the Barrel Weighing 184.1 Grains, and stil weighed that Exact 184.1 Grains When Recovered, The Little .495 Ball Was Out of Steam, I stil wouldn’t want Hit with it though :)
mIuXi2om.jpg

Another Pic of the Recovered Ball Beside a Fresh New one from the Same Batch
xU5mrfMm.jpg

I was hoping to be able to Shoot a Group on Target, Then on to my Gong. But as you can see in the Video i got Ran off by Wind, What Started out as a Beautiful Calm Morning, Turned Breezy/Windy.

I am looking forward to testing accuracy at this 600 Yard Range, I stil have everything loaded up to do so, I just need a Perfect Calm Morning, about 4:30-5:00am is my Best Times. I hope to get back to this in the next Few Days

Working up the Load i chose, I first tried .018 Ticking But the Patches were Blown. In this Photo you can see my 3 Shot Group at 60 Yards, they are covered with Target pasters, This load was Discarded. I went to a Heavier Denim Patch, and Also used another Patch as an Over powder Wad, This load Shot EXCELLENT, The 3 Shot Group made 1 Large Hole, Same 60 Yards. Both loads were 80 Grains by Weight of Swiss 2F Powder

mYe9yX3m.jpg

5ifS8wMm.jpg

some of you have seen these Bore Pics before, This is just to Show that i have This Bore polished out well, Like a Fine Mirror, But i stil have Issues with Blowing Patches
b40rv3Wl.png

HRO11IIl.png

o3zgN1ll.png

ahY314ul.png

At 600 yards I wouldn't begin to be able to see that target.

This is something i have wanted to try for a year now, I finally got a chance to Swing at it Yesterday Morning. It was a Perfect Morning for it, Dead Calm. My Setup, A TC Renegade Stock with a Lee Shaver Super Grade Long Range Soule Tang Sight, A Green Mountain .50 Cal Barrel 1:70 Twist, I have a Tall Lee Shaver Adjustable windage Front Globe sight mounted in this barrel, (I needed his Taller front sight to be able to get a 100 Yard Zero) I have 3 Barrels with this Same Front sight that i Swap back n forth in this Stock, Due to the Long Range Soule Tang Sight
The Load was 80 Grains by Weight of Swiss 2F Powder, .020 Denim Patches from Bulk material that i Cut from a Home Made Cutter i fabricated that fits in my Drill Press, Patches Lubed with my Rendered Bear Fat/Bees Wax/Lanolin Mixture. The Balls are my Home Cast .495s from a Lyman Mold, They are Weighed and Kept to the 1/10 of a Grain, The Sprues Removed in my Vibratory Tumbler with Powdered Graphite.

Target is a Ranged 600 Yards (Same place i shot the 600 Yard Knight Mountaineer, and this Same Sidelock Stock, with 1:18 Twist .45 Cal Bullet Barrel) The Target is an MR-1, Official NRA 600 Yard Center, The Black Aiming Bull is 36” Diameter. That BIG Target gets Small again when it’s 600 Yards out there
wtCOf9Um.jpg

Recovered 600 Yard Ball, This was Shot #1 that Went high, over top of the Target. It left the Barrel Weighing 184.1 Grains, and stil weighed that Exact 184.1 Grains When Recovered, The Little .495 Ball Was Out of Steam, I stil wouldn’t want Hit with it though :)
mIuXi2om.jpg

Another Pic of the Recovered Ball Beside a Fresh New one from the Same Batch
xU5mrfMm.jpg

Wow...as usual NICELY done range report idaholewis and shooting with that light round ball at that distance! 👍
‐‐-‐--------‐-----------------‐--------
p.s. I REALLY like homemade stuff. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your homemade cutter. Is the cutter only for .50 patches?

Back to the scope discussion again hahahahahaha Nah But AWESOME shots like you I would not want to play catch with it.

Lewis, Have a question for you as your the one doing all the long distance shooting. I'm having a .40 caliber percussion gun built by Carl Walker. His work and skills are better than most and at the top of the builders.

What have you experienced or feel how far (distance) this caliber can be shot acturally. Has a 1-48 twist and 32 inches in length Colerain round groove rifling (ease of cleaning).

Frontier Gander will do all his services on this rifle before the game starts of seeing what it will perform like.

Thanks

Back