Black Ice Coatings?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howa

Reaction score
Has anybody done this or seen one? What do yu think? Is it crazy to coat a stainless gun? Anybody have experience with this particular guy? Comments or experiences appreciated. I'm thinking of doing my Savage 10 MLII.
http://www.blackicecoatings.com/

Great stuff. Lee does a fantastic job with the coatings. White Rifles used to use it on some of there rifles, stainless too. I've never heard anyone be disapointed with BlackIce.

ewald said:
Great stuff. Lee does a fantastic job with the coatings. White Rifles used to use it on some of there rifles, stainless too. I've never heard anyone be disapointed with BlackIce.

X2!

On stainless it protects and "camo's" the outside while giving you the benefit's os ss in the barrel.

Awesome product from everything ive seen.

My GMB 54-120 will be going there so it will be nearly a one of a kind. The finish is very easy to clean and durable. It makes any coated part extremely easy to clean, including stainless.

Its another layer of protection and IMO great for stainless.

Just be careful with items that might have clearance issues.

Does it change the appearance of the finish at all? Does it create any shine/glare on hunting rifles and shot guns? Just some questions.

SJAdventures said:
Does it change the appearance of the finish at all? Does it create any shine/glare on hunting rifles and shot guns? Just some questions.

Its like a matte black Teflon. Reminds me of a dark graphite color. Probably the next best option to camo coating for hunting. Huge reduction on glare depending on your gun.

I mainly want it for even less glare at close range and ease of cleaning. Mines already very matte for a stainless barrel. My Apex and Accura are much shinier stainless.

My Accura is first then when im 100% sure i like it i will send my GMB. I want to see for myself how well it hold up.

They offer a camo upgrade for about $40 plus the $75 for barrel only and offer some custom camo stock matchup.

rem_camo_001.jpg

I have two items with Blackice on them a pistol and a White Blacktail. The coating does not shine at all and is tough as can be. Do not hesitate it is worth it. When you clean your firearm everything just falls off it incredible.

The Blacktail is coated Stainless. I really like it.

P1060438.JPG
[/img]

The flash was on in this pic and no reflection.

Both of my Super 91 Whites came with blackice coating and I liked it so much I sent my Rem 870 off to be coated. Lee does a fantastic job and turn around is reasonable.

It is well worth the price and in a muzzleloader will cut your cleaning time in half, as you just wipe the barrel off, clean the plug/bore and your done. I agree with all the above posts too!! 8)

Lee is a great guy to work with. I've had a couple of things done by him in black. My wolverine has seen a lot of use over the years and it's finish looks great with only minimal wear. Oh yeah, I coated stainless...why not start with the best base metal?

I got my Savage 10MLII blued coated and all of my White ML's (3) were coated... love it and no clearance issues on any of them.

Can't say anthing more than what was already said. Lee is great to work with. His product is durable and outstanding, makes cleanup a snap, don't have to worry about rust, just wipe it down and you're done.

Do it you won't be sorry!!

I'm Doing It.

Well, I've decided to do it, just finished packaging up the 10MLII, gonna UPS it 1'st thing in the morning. Black Ice, here we go. I'll let you know what I think in a couple of weeks.

Chick said:
Does he cork the barrels prior to coating?

My understanding is that it is NOT applied inside the barrel but on bolt actions it might be possible inside the bolt carrier section behind the breach plug. Tolerances may get a bit tight though.

I want mine in matte black or camo and only the bolt handle in olive drab or matte black.

Back