I think it's ruined!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeRebel

Reaction score
While cleaning 2 of my MLs a TC Hawkin and Knight Disc I cleaned both barrels with solvent until the patches came out clean and then I used hot soapy water to swab the barrels. After that I put the Hawkin barrel in the oven at 350 deg a tip a friend of mine gave me. After I pulled it out of the oven I ran a patch soaked with Bore Butter down the Hawkin barrel and it came out looking orangish brown color. Than I finished cleaning the Knight with a few more dry patches to make sure it was dry and then a BB soaked patch down the bore and it also came out with the same color but not as bad. I have never let them sit uncleaned, how could they have rusted? Could it just be powder residue from Pyrodex and T7? Looking down the Kight barrel it looks shiny and I can't see any rough spots.
Any thoughts?

First off, putting a barrel in the oven at 350 degrees is not a very good idea...
That said, putting a cool piece of steel into the oven will cause condensation inside the barrel. The small amount of moisture will turn to rust as evident by your cleaning patches after you put them in the oven.

I use hot soapy water to clean and dry patches to remove the excess water. Follow up with a good lubricant on a loose patch. I also run a few oil patches through my barrels about every 4 to 5 months.

And oh by the way, your gun(s) are not ruined... just in need of some good gun oil.

Underclocked said:
Get rid of the bore butter. Use a good gun oil.
Ditto!

I use either a hair dryer, or an oven to gently dry muzz. parts (not springs). My oven never goes above 180 degrees.
IMO, 350 is not wise and unnecessary.

BTW, the color is from the bore butter breaking down. It will do the same thing with age.

Ditto

Ditch the bore butter except for use with some conicals using T7 or Pyro and as round ball patch lube. Its only good for keeping fouling softer IMO. Not for a final lube during storage.

I use Rem gun oil for storage and re apply after a few months IF it sets that long.

Yes and 350F is too hot...i prefer the hair dryer method also.

But opinions vary... :D

Another vote for ditching the bore butter for a protectant,get a good gun oil.
I no longer use any water while cleaning my ML's

RidgeRebel

I use to use BB a ton and it did work very well for me, but I have since switched to synthetic oil.

I will also tell that BB will leach into the bore and it will disolve BP/Pyro/T7 residue and a resulting patch will look like a very weak tobacco stain.

The other thing that might have occured with the use a hot water and or the the BB is 'flash rust'

I would bet when you finish cleaning and treating your bores they will be just fine. I do again the oven treatment at 325 might be out there some. Rinsing clean boiling water through the bore heats to the necessary temp to dissolve and pure the bore of any contaminates. But again if you do not dry it rapidly you will stand a chance of getting 'flash rust'

The most important thing I could offer - if you are going to use BB make sure the bore is COMPLETLY dry before applying the BB.

I personally would not bake my barrel. Also if you ran solvent patches and they came out clean, there would be no use for the water bath after that unless you were trying to clean a bolster or drum. One you have the barrel clean and dry, just apply a quality gun oil.

But since you are a bore butter user, well Sabotloader can tell you how to use it. I never had any luck with the stuff.

Thanks guys
That makes me feel alot better. I am ditching the Bore Butter. When I get home I am going to clean the barrels again and finish with oil.

If you use really hot water that has just boiled, and pull the hot water up and down inside the barrel with the patched jag, the hot barrel will be enough to dry it - it has for me. Running a lightly oiled patch while it's still hot is enough "seasoning" for me.

You guys must have short barrels!!I've tried to put mine in but it don't fit!! :d'oh!:

another vote on getting rid of bore clutter :lol: i mean butter

Ya,

Anymore I only clean with water about twice a year, but for me RemOil and a hair dryer gives me piece of mind for storage.

bernieg said:
You guys must have short barrels!!I've tried to put mine in but it don't fit!! :d'oh!:

+1 he most have a great big oven ??? or a very short barrel ?????

Man if i tried to put a muzzle loader in the oven my wife would KILL ME :twisted:

I ditched the bore butter many years ago. Some claim it seasons their bore like a cast iron frying pan. My muzzleloaders have a steel barrel, not iron and you never season a steel frying pan. I use real BP in all my rifles and clean with soapy water first and then a modern solvent and then either Rem Oil or Breakfree for storage one of my guns has had this treatment since the mid 70s and shows no rust anywhere. I clean the bore with alcohol before loading and between shots I swab with alcohol.

Whatever works for you, is what you need to stick with. Prior to using bore butter, I could not get my rifles to group 6 inches. After I used the borebutter, then ran dry patch through, to get out excess, my groups dropped to almost 1"! You think I am going to drop the bore butter? Not hardly. LOL. Personally, i wish i didn't have to do anything but drop powder and bullet, in the barrel.

There are 2 steps to M-L care. The 1st is to CLEAN the gun, hoppes for B209 & one of the soapy liquids for the other powder types.

The next step is to PROTECT the metal. Just a light coat of any type of gun oil will do, inside & out. I leave the BP out & give it a going over at times in the off season. Just use a dry patch before you load up next time.

Latest posts

Back