Range Report-Sidekick, MU, BH209, FPB!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckaroni

Reaction score
Well, took the Sidekick out today to try the new MU plug, and the Blackhorn 209.

I could not be happier!!!

Shot a 5 shot group with Hornady FPB's and 80 grains of Blackhorn, at 100 yards.. The result---I will post photos...5 shots...I think I might be on to something here..

0814091535.jpg

001.jpg

005.jpg

0814091528.jpg

duckaroni,

I know the exact feeling your feeling, these NEF's will shoot with the best of them. :D I have a few one hole groups with that same load, 80 grains BH209 and the 350 gr Hornady FPB.

Is that your first experience with BH209 and the MU breech plug? Is yours a 5/8" or 7/8" breech plug? Did you use it with or without the o-ring? What primer?

I have several Knights, Whites, T/C's, and H&R/NEF's. I always find myself gravitating right back to the Huntsman, it just don't get much better in the accuracy, simplicity, and handling departments. Of course I have done several mods that make it just that much better.

GREAT SHOOTING! :applause:

That is some outstanding shooting. It speaks tons for the rifle, powder, projectile and especially the shooter behind the rifle. You were doing everything right today. It don't get better then that. Nice shooting, and a nice looking gun.

Thanks Cayuga.

It was a good day....

Busta, I used the Federal 209A primer. And it is the 5/8 plug.

And I forgot to put the o-ring in. Guess it did not matter too much.

I will be going to the range again next week when my cousins Traditions comes in from Cabela's...Can't wait...

Thats some good shooting there!

The sidekicks and huntsmans are usually capable of fine accuracy. I got 5 of them myself now. I came up with a breechplug idea a couple of years ago ( many others did too) and had my machinist friend make them for me. We tried a few different designs. The 10 or 12 guns I have been involved with that hunting buddies and relatives own---all seem to be capable m.o.a. guns. Some of them needed some trigger work...but some came out of the box with sweet 2 1/2- 2 3/4 pulls. Once you have worked on a few of their triggers, they are not too bad to do. . Even with the lighter triggers..it takes more effort and practice(at least for me) to get the guns best...not like having the fast lock time on a bolt gun/savage. I would have maybe offered the plugs for sale but there are some NEF's out there with tolerence variations too great to take for granted ,IMO. Thats why H&R always wants you to send in your receiver to fit barrels..even the ML barrels. I have the plugs made .005"- .010" longer than most guns need and can actually turn down the bottom edge to custom fit to each action. We recently did a batch of 5/8" and 7/8" plugs with the savage- type vent-liners. .

I have had good luck with the 250 SST in these guns. I picked up some harvester 50/40 CR sabots that I want to try in the NEF with the .400" 200 SST. I need to get some of the MMP 50/40's version too. Anybody try them yet in an NEF?? Busta maybe ?....("Mr. NEF") :wink:

It seems as though NEF is not even going to offer the ML as an accessory barrel any more.

Latest posts

Back