Leaving BP In Your Gun!!??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinks

Reaction score
So Bear season is upon me, will be packing the ML to and from work, If I load up powder and a bullet, but don't shoot, How long can I leave the gun like this with out doing damage(corrosion from the powder)!!?? or do I need to remove the powder every day!!?? Gun is not legally loaded until you place a primer.

Perry

Actually is you load the rifle clean, you can leave it loaded for as long as you like. If you shoot the rifle, of course you have to clean it. Also if you ever suspect that the powder charge might have been contaminated, then shoot it off and clean it before you reload. But powder in a clean barrel can be left there a long time and cause no damage to the rifle.

just another hint...when I load my MLs I always put tape over the end of the barrel. Electrical or some other plastic kind with NO FILAMENTS in it. It keeps everything from getting in the bore - like snow, rain etc. and has the secondary purpose of reminding me that the weapon is charged.

Has anyone bought those little finger condom looking deals? I though about picking some of those up to put over the end of the barrel.

I have personally bought the finger condoms (a.k.a. finger cots), at the drug store. And they do work. The problem with them is they are kind of thin and if you try to stretch them too far or go over a large front site they can tear.

Also be sure and remove the finger cots or what ever you use over the muzzle, at the end of the day. They can cause rusting under them. Especially if your rifle went through some bad weather.

If I leave a rifle loaded, I normally tie a red bandanna through the trigger guard. I tell everyone in the house, that a red bandanna in the trigger guard means the rifle is loaded, and besides, they have no business touching my guns. Loaded or unloaded. I had a little incident with a curious nephew one time (it was unloaded) and had to straighten him out a little.

mau118 said:
Has anyone bought those little finger condom looking deals? I though about picking some of those up to put over the end of the barrel.

I have used electrical tape for years after seeing that Jim Shockey fella do it.

I have been putting electric tape on my rifle barrels since the mid 1980's. If you are leaving a muzzle loader loaded, do not take it from a cold outside into a warm house. You will end up with condensation, which could cause problems with your powder. Leave the rifle in the trunk of your car and if you remove it from the car, put it in an unheated place.

I tie a blaze orange tape on the hammer!! Some times i forget what it's there for. :shock:

memeory

I tie a blaze orange tape on the hammer!! Some times i forget what it's there for.
You and cayuga should call each other every morning to remember what you are doing for the day! :lol:

I left my TC Hawken 50 cal loaded for week and half, and yesterday I shot it and it fired like I had just loadedit.

Not a problem at all. One time I loaded the spare cylinder for my cap and ball revolver and wound up not shooting. It sat in my gun safe for more than a year. When I finally shot the loads all six went off with no problem. Often my Pedersoli shotgun stays loaded for a week or two straight during spring turkey and I have never had a problem when the hammer finally drops. I mark the loaded guns with that blue painters masking tape, I jot down what the load is on the tape. And of course, no priming until ready in the field.

just left my gun loaded for 2 weeks here in fl. kept tape over the end of the barrel and kept it in my shed/shop not the house with ac took it the range sunday primed it it fired flawlessly not a problem . was using black horn.

Back