5o Cal/ wolf Last year model

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinholzrudy

Reaction score
I am not new to muzzleloading .But would like input on this new gun of mine. Its a wolf 50 cal. I have a new breach plug coming for Black horn 209  Thinking about 90 gr. load with Hornady 300 gr. bullet crush rib sabot Bullet is .452 Thanks

Hunting Savage, that is a great place to start, just like Jon was saying.  We have a couple of new wolf muzzleloaders in my extended family and they all seem to have a "loose" bore.  They have went to the Harvester smooth sabot because the crushed rib didn't load with enough resistance.  Every gun is different.  Your gun may like crush rib sabots just fine, but just giving you some info that I've seen.

Mine likes powerbelts with se7en pellets. 209 is a fine brand too but both se7en and blackhorn 209 clean up with water, but with se7en you need to wet patch after each shot to remove the crust ring before loading the next round. May not be needed with blackhorn 209 powder.

BH209 does not clean up with water, it needs a solvent used for center fires to clean it up such as Hoppes #9.
You do not swab after each shot w/BH209 it shoots better with no swabbing, you do have to clean out your breech plug fire channel w/correct size drill bit every 10-15 shots or when accuracy starts to drop off.

Latest posts

Back