Reusing cleanint patches?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone reuses cleaning patches? I do! I went to Walmart the other day and bought 2 packs of T/C's cotton round patches for about $5.00 a pack of 100, thats about $.05 each time you run a patch down the barrel so I started saving them. I took a bunch of patches and put them into an old sock and tied the end and threw it into the washer. They came out surprizingly clean. They were wrinkled pretty bad so I straightned them out into a stack of approx 5-8 and put a hot iron on them for a few seconds and they turned out really good. Now this may not be for everyone but if you ever have ran out of cleaning patches and have to drive several miles to get some and then they might not be the kind that you want, you might want to give it a try. They work just as good as new ones and are half priced! I try to save any way I can with everything as expensive as it is.

I use old T shirts and pillow cases as cleaning patches so I don't buy them. They START as recycled :) but I DO re-use the cleanest patches for the next round of dirtiest work. ie when I am running my final patch or two through a just cleaned bore to oil it, I use those patches for the first couple passes of the next time I clean.

I used to clean my patches all the time, then I got lazy. I went to Wal Mart and they sell a bag of cleaning patches for $1.99 and there are tons of them in there. For two bucks I am not taking the time to do it anymore. I just throw them away. Although, on the range a patch might actually swab two or three times before I change to a new patch.

Another option if you cant find cheap patches is to buy 100% cotton flannel by the yard at Walmart in the fabric section. Cut your own to any size you want. Cheap and easy.

I put mine in a nylon stocking and throw them in the washing machine with my jeans or work cloths. I take them out and stack them while still wet. Works for me.

I use a new white patch to dry and oil the bore after soap and water cleanup.

I scored big time when I came across a flannel sheet. I washed that all up and even though it was worn, I tore and cut that into patches. It works perfect.

I also told my sister who goes to those stores that sell other peoples discards.. if she sees 100% cotton sheets or flannel sheets for cheap, to grab them for me. She found me three 100% cotton sheet and paid .50 cents each for them.. I have patches now!!!

Im not sure if you have ever used the Otis Cleaning system (breach to bore pull thru via cable) - the way it is made is that you can get about 3 pulls for each side of a patch.. I prefer it over a rod, but dont quite get that back/forth motion needed for crusties in a ML though..

Trying to use the Otis to clean a .50 is a little harder than .30 or smaller guns..

As mentioned i will used my cleanest patches for the next dirty job..

I had some patches i bought at a gun show year back that I used last years for my ML and compared to the TC patches they were terrible. The gun show patches were not nearly as thick as the TC's and had A LOT of lint/strings come off of them..

Brian

Washing patches? You guys are hardcore. I like the idea!

mcrik

mossie said:
I put mine in a nylon stocking and throw them in the washing machine with my jeans or work cloths. I take them out and stack them while still wet. Works for me.

I use a new white patch to dry and oil the bore after soap and water cleanup.
Been doing that for years. I cut them to different sizes, depending on what rifle I'm cleaning.

mrlnfshr1 said:
Another option if you cant find cheap patches is to buy 100% cotton flannel by the yard at Walmart in the fabric section. Cut your own to any size you want. Cheap and easy.

Been doing this for years.

There is a gun store not all that close to where I live that is not exactly known for bargins, but once in a while they do offer some excellent deels on odd items, like cleaning patches. By dumb luck I walked in there (about 6-8yrs ago) and as always hit the discount/close out bins. What to my surprise is a sh!t load of Butches 500 count bags of tripple twill patches in all sizes for I want to say on sale at 75-80% off regular price. I bought all he had in the calibers I needed (338, 7mm, 300, 6.5, .50cal, .40, .45, .357, 12ga) and he even gave sold me them tax included just to get me to buy more. I walked out of there with a BIIIIIG box filled to over flowing with 500 count bags of patches. The owner even through a couple of bottles of Butches Bore Shine to sweeten the deal.

Now that I use Wipe-Out for 90% of my bore cleaning those patches are lasting much longer. Its been over like I said 6 years and I am not even close to being 1/3rd the way through all the patches I bought thanks to Wipe-Out.

I also use all my worn out socks and tshirts for general gun maintainence.

Back