Handgun while hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a Beretta 96D 40S&W loaded with Remington 180gr. golden sabers, I'm not as worried by the 4 legged critters as I am of some of the 2 legged ones that might have one of their little workshops set up. If you happen to walk up on one of these guys you never know what state of mind they might be in at the time.

rfravel said:
I carry a Beretta 96D 40S&W loaded with Remington 180gr. golden sabers, I'm not as worried by the 4 legged critters as I am of some of the 2 legged ones that might have one of their little workshops set up. If you happen to walk up on one of these guys you never know what state of mind they might be in at the time.

We run into blue stained milk jugs out where we hunt. I guess Miracle Grow does that to them... They leave them behind small waterfalls and in he winter, these falls pretty much dry up. Also find them hanging on small tree branches.

Not allowed

here in Louisiana, handguns are not allowed during bow or muzzleloader with the exception of a .22 caliper rinfire loaded with ratshot, during bow and muzzleloader pistol during the muzzleloader season.

Here in SD you can carry a concealed pistol during any hunting season, given you have a permit.

shooter44n45 said:
During our bow season I always carry a handgun on me, during gun season I don't and I will again during muzzleloader season. Bigest reason being the critters out there that bite, around here that means dogs that have turned wild and packed up. I seen some during our gun season but they were too far for a shot. As crazy as it may sound coming from southern Ohio, there have been one bear and large cat sightings as well. I found a set of large cat prints when tookt he kids for the youth season. Several locals have confirmed this as well.

Anyone else carry a handgun as well?
I normaly carry a Sig P229 chambered in .357 Sig. Plenty enough power for anything we might encounter.
you can carry a hand gun in any season here in indiana as long as you have a permit.and i do 9mm.was hunting down in southeren indy some years back in bow season.ran into a large pack of dogs while going back to truck.lucky they decided to go the other way.only had 4 arrows.scary

G20

G20 SF with 200 grain Double Tap controlled expansion hollow points - good backup medicine for critters of all types and leg counts - where legal!

Here in Washington there is nothing in the RCW's about carrying a concealed firearm while hunting. That is if you have a CPL (concealed pistol license) or permit from you state to carry concealed.

Now, I used to hunt all the time (modern firearm season) when I was in high school and younger. After leaving home and running off to war, I just never got back into it. I would like too but dont even know where to start, what to do with the animal once I get it, where to go, etc. My father always handled all that logistical stuff. All I did was stalk, find, pull a trigger, gut, pack, and eat. Having a barn and a huge freezer to store the animal was nice.

Anyway, back on topic. I dont carry a firearm just for the wild animals, although that is what you are more likely to come across hunting, but I carry my firearm for self-defense against the two legged critters... and some four. Wild dogs and hogs are not really a big problem around here. The odd cat maybe, but those are fairly rare and will usually leave you alone.

I carry a firearm with me EVERYWHERE its legal. If its not legal for me to carry a firearm in that place, then I dont go there. If I have to go there, then I unarm myself and make it VERY brief. Its an insurance policy, like wearing your seatbelt. Just do it and hope you wont need it.

A good place to check on your CCW laws for your state is here:http://www.handgunlaw.us/

In Arizona carrying during bow season isn't strictly legal, but in southern Arizona we do it on a regular basis, due to the illegals encountered in the desert. My approach is to carry a BP revolver, usually a Ruger Old Army loaded to the max. It's plenty of power for a coyote or rattlesnake, and would put a man down without any trouble, yet for some reason nobody feels threatened by the gun because it's black powder.
One of my hunting partners habitually carries a Colt .45acp, and was once stopped by a game officer. Mike is Hispanic and when he explained that he carried the gun to protect himself from all those crazy Mexicans crossing the border the officer almost fell over laughing. He wished Mike the best and walked away.

here in illinois we can handgun hunt during firearm season, i just killed a doe with my .357 for the first time.....dropped in its tracks at 25 yards

I realize this is an older thread, but I want to share a tale I heard from a man in Colorado while bear hunting.

The guy told me he was elk hunting one year in the same area we were in that day and as he was slipping down a trail one afternoon, he came face to face with a black bear. The bear charged instantly and so fast, he didn't have time to even think about raising his rifle (a modern repeater). Down he went with the bear biting and clawing him.

He managed to break free and immediately tried to climb a tree. The bear was right on his tail, and about 20 feet up, the bear latched onto the man's calf. Clinging desperately to the tree, the man started kicking the bear in the face with his other foot. Finally the bear lost its grip on the tree and crashed to ground, ripping out a large section of the man's calf in the process.

The man watched the bear run off into the brush with part of his calf dangling from the man's leg.

Starting to get dizzy, the man climbed down the tree and managed to crawl to where his rifle lay. It was starting to get too late to crawl back down the trail to his truck, so the man crawled back to his tent, and wrapped up his torn leg, the best he could.

He propped himself up and prepared himself for a long night. Sure enough, about midnight or so the bear tried to rip through the tent to get to the man. The man fired one shot at where he thought the bear was, and then fired off a couple more rounds.

At first light the man, started crawling down the trial (it was all downhill, following a creek). By about 10 in the morning, the man was just about done in, but had gotten low enough on the trail, that an elderly woman, sitting on her prorch drinking her morning coffee, was able to see him. She got some ranch hands and they managed to load the guy up and take him to the nearest hospital.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife (at the time), showed up a few hours later with some hounds. They started up the trail, and the dogs took up a hot track within less than 100 yards from where the man was found by the ranch hands. The bear had trailed the wounded man down the trail for over two miles, ready to finish him off!

The DOW managed to locate and kill the bear.

The injured man spent over a month in the hospital and spent many more months in physical therapy. Once he was halfway well, he moved east, and although he had grown up in that area and hunted that it for over 30 years, he was afraid to go back and hunt.

After almost 15 years had past, he finally move back and resumed hunting. Here are the hunting rules he lives by after his experience and as he told me that day:

One NEVER HUNT ALONE.

Two ALWAYS CARRY A HEAVY CALIBER PISTOL WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES.

Three ALWAYS KEEP THE PISTOL STRAPPED TO YOU SECURELY.

His logic was that at close counters a bear will be on you so fast that you won't have time to get off a shot, and the rifle will probably go flying though the air.
Have the pistol securely strapped on you, so that you can get to it, after the bear has finished his initial charge and has started mauling you. Pulling it out before the charge and you will probably lose it when the bear hits you.
Having a hunting partner, increases your chances of getting out alive, after being mauled.

This is serious stuff, and the man showed me his ruined calf, and I remembered reading about the story in the paper years ago.

As for me, I like to hunt alone, but I figure two out of three ain't bad!

BuffKiller

Glock 29 10mm 12 round mag +1 always open carry when outdoors.
always concealed carry when not.

If it's public land or an area I'm not familiar with, I'll carry my .357 Colt. In VA with a carry permit, you can carry pretty much any time. For four and two legged critters.

If I ever hunted the West where there are grizzley's I would for sure carry bear pepper spray. Way more effective than any gun.

As for handguns, I used to carry a .44 Mag S&W Model 629 when I was bowhunting for deer (I once had a large black bear standup in a thicket of srub oak, not more than 15 feet from me, the bear showed no fear at all, but just watched me for a bit and then slowly went back to feeding - from that day on, I decided the .45 ACP Colt Commander didn't have enough punch).

While deer hunting with a rifle (Remington .308 Police Model), I used to carry a SIG 229 in .40 S&W (I had sold the S&W .44 mag).

This year, while muzzleloading for bear, I plan on carrying a .44 Mag (Taurus Tracker) in a hip holster, along with my SIG 229 in a side holster. The logic is if charged by a wounded bear (or just charged without an opportunity to use the ML, I will go for the .44 mag. If the .44 goes flying because the bear made it to me (or I am out of shots), I will use the SIG as a backup (it is loaded with solids and Black Talons alternatively).

If that don't work, then I guess I am dead meat.

BuffKiller

Latest posts

Back