Small Rifle Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willi-b

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with using small rile primers with the PR vari flame adaptors. So far (after40 shots) they seem to work well and I seem to be getting a little better groups.

Has anyone else tried these and what results have you had. I haven't had any missfires, but I am suspicious that once the weather turns colder, that may be a problem.

Thanks for any input you can give.

Lots of misfires or hangfires for me too- I gave up using them a long time ago. But other people have had success- I think it really depends on your type of rifle. If you're worried about cold weather ignition- try the magnum small rifle primers.

I am using the CCI 450 magnum primer. My friend tried them in his Savage and couldn't get one to fire at all. I'll have to do some more shooting when it gets colder and wetter out.

I have used them in a Ruger 77/50 w/ Canadian 209 breech plug conversion and NEF Huntsman with Metrics Unlimited breech plug with good results. I was using CCI 400 small rifle primers.

Had great results with them in my old Omega.The trick is to make sure the Variflame pocket is CLEAN and the primer is seated to its full depth.If it isn't, the hammer/striker blow will waste most of its energy driving it into the Variflame instead of igniting it.Omegas have weak ignition( small firing pin and a rather weakish hammerspring) so any primer issues will be exaggerated. I got my best accuracy using small pistol primers.The heaviest charges I was lighting was 90 grains of 2f T7 and no crudring!

willi-b

For what is worth i use the small rifle primers in a 25 acp conversion for my Omega and they have worked great - no matter what the weather. I am shooting T7-2f...

They are MARGINAL when shooting BH... but stepping up the small rifle mag primer - I can ignite BH just fine with the 25 acp.

Thanks. I am using T7-2f and haven't had any problems as I stated before. We'll have to see how things go in colder weather, but after reading some of your comments, I thinks I'll be fine.

I have been reading alot about BH and am thinking of giving it a try, but probably not til next season.

But that's the fun of smokepoles. There are so many things you can try and fool around with.

Latest posts

Back