.54 Cal, “LIL Heartbreaker” Paper Patch Bullet Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
Last Wednesday was BIG BORE Day. I shot my “LIL Heartbreaker” Paper Patch Bullet From a Custom Mold i had Made, it did good.

WPwqjgKl.jpg

hf28qjVl.jpg

Sr3tXjOl.jpg

Cast of Certified PURE Lead that i get from Buffalo Arms
WdUx6JDl.jpg

These Patched up to .540 with a Tracing paper i am Tinkering with, This is IDEAL for this Particular .541 Bore
8eyAmMtl.jpg

NICE cloverleaf ! :thumbs up:

Is that a special .50 caliper in your photo?

Marty, Nothing special about those Calipers, they are just a Standard Stainless Steel Dial Caliper made by Frankford Arsenal, i have had them for MANY years. I use these things a LOT, Me being a Serious Bullet Caster, and Paper Patcher i find myself Grabbing for these Calipers on a Regular Basis, they are definitely 1 of the most used Tools i own 👍

That is a FINE group!
I like thesighting system on your rifle. I have an old Olympia peep sight on a Hawken style rifle that makes a world of difference for my old eyes.
Ron

Marty, Nothing special about those Calipers, they are just a Standard Stainless Steel Dial Caliper made by Frankford Arsenal, i have had them for MANY years. I use these things a LOT, Me being a Serious Bullet Caster, and Paper Patcher i find myself Grabbing for these Calipers on a Regular Basis, they are definitely 1 of the most used Tools i own 👍
I have a digital-readout caliper but not with the dial. Taking a closer look at your caliper I NOW🙄 SEE where you read .5. Dial is for 1000ths. I like the no-batteries mechanical aspect of yours... and the dial is much easier on my aging eyes. Might have to check-into one of those. Thanks!

That is a FINE group!
I like thesighting system on your rifle. I have an old Olympia peep sight on a Hawken style rifle that makes a world of difference for my old eyes.
Ron

Ron, I couldn’t shoot like i do without a Peep sight, my eyesight is actually not very good, from an Old eye injury Years ago working in the Woods, I simply cannot shoot a Regular Buckhorn style Open sight worth a Darn, the Target is a Blurr and a lot of times i see a Slight Double vision, Regular open sights is a Really Hard STRUGGLE for me. But When i Look Through a Peep Sight i see a Nice Sharp Picture, It’s like i get my Youth Eyes back. It is AMAZING the difference we see when our Vision is Forced Down Through a Tiny Hole

Great...………………….I assume your point of aim was the center bull. did you build the barrel ?

Yes, my aim is center Bull. Most of my Guns are not Sighted in “Dead on” I have a Lot of Muzzleloaders, And do a TON of Testing Different Bullets, Wads, Powders, Charges. I simply get my Rifles “On Paper” And then i Shoot for Groups, not caring where the Groups Lands? As long as they are on the Paper Somewhere. The Only time I sight a Rifle in “DEAD ON” is if i plan to Hunt with it

Hey Lewis Desperate Lee here, moved over from the MM Forum so i can catch some more of your wisdom. I have decided to bore size my 410 grn conicals and to see how they shoot. Waiting on my .499 sizing die to show up. If need be i can always open it up.
DL

Good to see you here DL 👍

I swear by “Land Rider” Bullets for Target, Your Thumb and Index finger on the Ram/Range Rod is all that’s needed to Get them down on the Powder. For a Hunting load, i want my Bullets about .002 Over Bore for a Good Snug Fit all the way Down, Giving me Confidence they will Stay Firmly put on the Powder Charge While i Stumble my Way Through the Brush Etc. In hopes of Coming Across a DUMB Elk, Preferably Blind, And Can’t Hear anything? 🤣

Have you ever Sized Lead Conicals before? LUBE is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, Depending on how far down you Size? You will get BAD “Finning” But if you Roll the Bullet Across a Lube Pad Etc. And get them Well Lubed, They will Nearly FALL through the Sizing Die, The Difference Between Un-Lubed Vs Lubed Lead Conicals When Sizing is UNREAL. Lube is your BEST FRIEND Here 👍

I plan on Doing a Short Video on Sizing Lead Conicals, The Do’s and Don’ts, I might do that today

Lewis
what i have sized is mostly 45 cal lead handgun bullets. I have sized down some 50 cal rb to .452 and taper based them for my 44 Remington cap and ball revolvers just playing around. I need to build a new sturdier loading bench so my Lee Classic Cast will handle my swaging chores and them do some more experimental, to me, 45 projectiles for my pistols and revolvers. The LCC will handle sizing the big lead bullets no problem. I use plenty of LLA on them.
DL

Was following Lewis on MM and YouTube and corresponded with him several times. He likes Hawkens and so do I, just dont have any LRH barrels. Mine is 1-48 twist. Now my Traditions is 1-32 twist. Both are 50's. I have 270 grn. TC Hunters, 385 grn. Hornady Great Plains, and 410 grn. Hornady Great Plains bullets to use in them both and experiment. I have some 240 grn. Hornady PA conicals for my 50 Mountain Pistol. May use them in the TC Hawken also. So much to do and so little time. But will get there sooner or later.
DL
:thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back