$500 for 1000 9mm?!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
About 2-3 months ago, I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm, 115 gr, brass case for $180. With the explosion in gun purchases over the last several months, I've watched the price increase to $250, $300, $450, and higher. Predictions are that the situation will last through 2021.
I give a relative who is a police officer about 800 rounds for range practice and I keep about 200. Now,the cost for 9mm is prohibitive.
In the past, I didn't reload 9 mm, but it is looking more inviting. I have plenty of cases and just need some powder and bullets. Another approach would be to switch back to 45 acp. But the relative is all 9mm, both duty gun and backup, so a switch in caliber for him is not possible.
I'm off to reload 45 Colt for some fun shooting.
Ron

Ron,
Denver Bullet had new and reloads a while back, best part is they'll let you trade empty cases for loaded ones at a reasonable price. :cheers:

Ron I have been casting and powder coating 9mm for a long time much cheaper then buying plus if I get low I can just run a batch ,dont have to see if anyone has them in stock. I sometimes use berrys bullets when I run across them cheap.

I only reload 9mm very occasionally as I have only one 9mm pistol. I can't even remember the last time I bought any cf cartridges. I do have lots of 9mm brass so I guess I need to get the business of reloading them. I like the .38 auto/super 1911 better. I've always reloaded .45 acp and .38 spl by the thousands and they're my favorites.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to get into contact with Denver Bullet to see what they have.
When I figure in my time, it just hasn't been worth my while to reload 9 mm. Also, the indoor range I go to doesn't permit reloads. The outdoor club I belong to permits reloads, but has been closed due to fire danger for some time.
For years, my preference had been 45 acp over 40 S&W and 9 mm. The new situation give me incentive to break out the 1911's, commanders and officers and start turning those orange "shoot and see" targets to yellow.
As an aside, I tried making my own "shoot and see" targets. By the time I bought the yellow poster board, packing tape, black paint and bull's eye stickers, I figure I would just go out and buy the ready made targets.

My police relative was over for a visit yesterday. Today, I noted that there were 3 boxes of 9mm missing from my ammo cabinet. Traditionally, when ammo was plentiful, I would visit him and "secretly" abscond with a couple of boxes of ammo he took from me. We have 50 round boxes that have gone back and forth many, many times. But he really does need the practice ammo much more than I do, so I will terminate our game for a while.
Some time ago, he did "borrow" some practice ammo that he thought was Sellier & Bellot, but really was just casings with no powder and molded chewing gum instead of 9 mm bullets. The greenish color of the chewing gum gave it away.

About 2-3 months ago, I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm, 115 gr, brass case for $180. With the explosion in gun purchases over the last several months, I've watched the price increase to $250, $300, $450, and higher. Predictions are that the situation will last through 2021.
I give a relative who is a police officer about 800 rounds for range practice and I keep about 200. Now,the cost for 9mm is prohibitive.
In the past, I didn't reload 9 mm, but it is looking more inviting. I have plenty of cases and just need some powder and bullets. Another approach would be to switch back to 45 acp. But the relative is all 9mm, both duty gun and backup, so a switch in caliber for him is not possible.
I'm off to reload 45 Colt for some fun shooting.
Ron
Try sgammo.com

SGammo and Denver bullet have zero. Target sports doesnt have any of the range ammo either They have Gold Dot at .80 cents a round.

I can't figure that all the "first time gun owners" do a lot of range time. Maybe a few boxes to keep on hand. If that's the case, then all the surge buying is "gun guys". Good greif.

I have 3 or 4 thousand round of 9mm. I may sell a 1000 so I can buy a new bow!

It gets like this I just start shooting 38's.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to get into contact with Denver Bullet to see what they have.
When I figure in my time, it just hasn't been worth my while to reload 9 mm. Also, the indoor range I go to doesn't permit reloads. The outdoor club I belong to permits reloads, but has been closed due to fire danger for some time.
For years, my preference had been 45 acp over 40 S&W and 9 mm. The new situation give me incentive to break out the 1911's, commanders and officers and start turning those orange "shoot and see" targets to yellow.
As an aside, I tried making my own "shoot and see" targets. By the time I bought the yellow poster board, packing tape, black paint and bull's eye stickers, I figure I would just go out and buy the ready made targets.
I found out about the homemade shootn'see target thing vs just buying them too. Best to just go out and buy them. If you could handload them, a Lee truncated cone mold and powder coat with W W 231 is what I use. A friend gifted me a few thousand cases. It functions and feeds in Mech Tek carbine and Ruger carbine just fine. Getting primers these days is becoming problematic. Happened just around elections the last time too!

Store shelves are empty of ammo and most firearms parts. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out the "why" of it.

My police relative was over for a visit yesterday. Today, I noted that there were 3 boxes of 9mm missing from my ammo cabinet. Traditionally, when ammo was plentiful, I would visit him and "secretly" abscond with a couple of boxes of ammo he took from me. We have 50 round boxes that have gone back and forth many, many times. But he really does need the practice ammo much more than I do, so I will terminate our game for a while.
Some time ago, he did "borrow" some practice ammo that he thought was Sellier & Bellot, but really was just casings with no powder and molded chewing gum instead of 9 mm bullets. The greenish color of the chewing gum gave it away.
Just can't trust those cops anymore .... :rolleyes: :D :cheers: :thumbs up:

Ran off a batch of 9mm yesterday got under 100 in the whole lot ,close to 1000 .9mm reloads 2.jpg

When the Bamster was in office we didn't buy any ammo. Had a fair amount anyway. When The Best President since Reagan came in to office, the price of ammo dropped like a lead balloon! That's when we invested heavily!

So the moral of the story is: If you didn't get when the gettin' was good, you ain't gettin'! 9mm is as high as $800 for 1000 rnds. And it's out of stock. Hand gun ammo is out everywhere. You can get put on the waiting list. But that's like waiting for a kidney(actually the kidney would come faster).

I went to my favorite LGS a few years back because they were advertising 9mm at $6 for 100 rounds; but they were completely out! So I went to another store that had them but they asked $600 for 1000 rounds. I told the proprietor that my usual store had them for $6 per 100. He said, "well then why didn't you stock up there"? They were all out, I told him. He said, "well, we only charge $6 per 100 when we're out out of them, too.

Well Im down a couple of hundred now went to the range and shot a few targets . Mostly 9mm and 40 S&W, a few 357 Sig's and some 380 . Now got to clean up guns and then see how many emptys I can reload for the next trip to the range.

I have maybe 3000 9mm's . enought for quite some time, but I don't really all that much. In any case, when it gets crazy expensive I just usually start shooting my old 38's and reload for them.

To be honest, I cannot figure out this shortage. All the "new" gun buyers are not likely to be practicing all that much. So I figure it's us or guys like us just panic buying as usual.

Latest posts

Back