Short Range Session

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
Went to the range yesterday w/my Omega and new PR large rifle BP and "30"cases primed w/Fed 215's. Shots 1 thru 5......all very light hang fires and totaly smoked cases.I knew at the first shot that somthing was very wrong here.When I headspaced the cases I had what I thought was a tight closure. When I trimmed the cases I did not have a pilot in my trimmer and there was a very sm. ammount of wobble.I now have a pilot and a newly headspsced case as per Cecil Epps instructions.Talked to him about experience and he"s telling me the action has to close "VERY" hard,he actually said two handed is best.If my cases were not sq. I can understand that there was not a propper seal around the mouth of the case at the bottom of the BP. Two handed action closure though sound abit bizar to me.Do you folks that use the 25ACP have to use two hands to close up an Omega breech? I've read such good stuff about these BP's but having 2nd thoughts now as I had "O" blowback w/209 mag and the PR VariFlame.

fisher1

I use the 25acp also, but I am not into the 2 hands to close thought - that puts a lot of pressure on the working mechanism in the trigger.

What i try to do is trim a new case when necessary and close it in the action when it is brand new and unprimed. Then you should not have to trime it again.

It should close with a strong sounding snap - but you should be able to do with you hand wrapped around the pistol grip and a strong pull with your fore finger on the trigger guard lug.

I really like the 25 acp and it is 99% blowback free - i really so not like the variflame much at all - got one but do not use it at all anymore...

LR Ignition

I got a 40 cal pilot which fits the case pretty good.This should provide a sq. case mouth.I've done one case which I will try to get to the range tomorrow to try out.The action closes pretty stiff w/one hand,I would not want it to close any harder.As you said that puts alot of stress on those parts.If I get "any" sign blowback this BP will be returned w/full refund expected.As I said i got no blowback w/209 primers or the VariFlame.I just installed a new lam. thumbhole and a new Burris 3-9 so my range trip yesterday was a major dissapointment because of this BP.

2nd short range trip

Well I went out with the "new" case today and still got significant blowback.I've had enough of this LR primer syst. Called PR and am returning it. I can see the likelyhood of getting a good seal around the case mouth of the 25ACP as is about half the size of the shortened 6mm.I know my case was sq. as I miked it all the way around but it did not seal. I will continue to use the 209M and possibly my VariFlame w/a SR mag if it would work w/BH

I have no experience with the 25acp ignition system, or any modifications to an ignition system for that matter. I understand someone wanting the perfect breech and no blow back, but to me it makes no difference. I just do not change the design of a rifle unless I have to for some reason. That is probably why I shoot a lot of #11 cap rifles still to this day. All I do is clean the rifle at the end of the day and what ever happens, happens.

Latest posts

Back