Barnes bullets ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHA

Reaction score
I am considering trying the Barnes Spit-Fire T-MZ and Spitfire T-EZ Bullets in my TC Omega. I would like to hear from those who have tried these, especially in an Omega. I am also undecided between the 250 and 290 grain.

Thanks for the help.

I've tried both of those bullets and I like the T-EZ better. With the TMZ you're kind of limited to the supplied sabot because the bullet is a boattail and there isn't a wide variety of sabots to choose from. The T-EZ with supplied sabot shot pretty good out of my Endeavor but I knew I could do better. I bought several different sabots and tested them with that bullet. The MMP HPH-12 ended up being the best sabot for me. That's what I use now. I just buy them from Barnes, junk the sabots, and use them with MMP sabots. They fit tighter and have better accuracy.

Harvester's new yellow crush rib boattail sabot was made to fit the TMZ bullet. I have some and they shoot way better than the supplied sabot with the TMZ in my omega and triumph. If you go with the TMZ, this is the best sabot i've found for it!

Ive loaded the 250 grain Knight (Barnes) 250 boattail TEZ bullets in my CVA Optima Pro. 90-100 grains Blackhorn and Winchester 209 primers. Extremely accurate at 50 yards. Have not moved out to 100 yards, yet.
These bullets load surprisingly easy, shot after shot, without swabbing the barrel. You do need a palm saver the last few inches to seat them against the powder.

I recently tried both the T EZ and TMZ 290 bullets in my Omega. Using
110 gr of 777 and swabbing between shots I was able to get sub one
inch groups at 100 yds. In both bullets I used the supplied sabots. I will
go with the TMZ for hunting. The T EZ was a bit easier to load, the TMZ
was snug but not at all difficult to load. I just feel a little better having
a bullet fit snugly in the barrel while hunting. dd

I have an Omega and only shoot 245 Spitfire TMZ and the 250 blue tip TMZs in it with 75 grains by weight BH209 for hunting. In my rifle they shoot an inch or less at 100 or it's my fault. I use the yellow sabots with them and they shoot within an inch of each other so I can use them interchangeably. Kind of strange because there is a noticeable difference in loading force between my 2 batches. I've taken 2 deer with the 245 Spitfires and didn't recover either bullet but 1 deer was DRT from high shoulder and the other made it about 50 yds with a strong quartering shot penetrating over 40" of deer. I zero dead nutz at 100, I am dead on with the 1st BDC ring on the nikon at 150 and 3" low with the second ring at 200. I love that combo in my rifle and doubt if I could improve on it. I have a few dozen of the 285 or 290 TMZ that I haven't even tried yet. I just got a Bergara barrel for my Encore and so far it looks exactly like the Omega performance with those loads.

I shoot the TEZ 250 grain out of my omega pushed by 110 gr. of Blackhorn. Shot about 120 rounds of this combo at the range this summer. Getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards and about3-4 inch groups at 200. Started trying it out at 225 this past week with a nice dead wind and she was able to hold around 5 inch groups. Hope this helps.

JDICK345,

What sabot are you using with the T-EZ in your omega?

I am thinking of taking the plunge and trying out the Barnes T-EZs. Curious how many use the Barnes-specific aligner jag and which one should be used.

SteveH said:
I am thinking of taking the plunge and trying out the Barnes T-EZs. Curious how many use the Barnes-specific aligner jag and which one should be used.

My recommendation would be to use the Spin-Jag. I love mine and you can use it for any bullet.

I use the bullet aligner jag specifically made for the TEZ bullet. I have heard great things about the spin jag. I am actually using the blue sabots that come with the bullets. Up until switching to this bullet I had almost always used MMP sabots and Hornady XTP bullets. The blue sabots supplied with the barnes tez load easily in my omega. I am also amazed at how easily they load in my triumph, I have always had a hell of a time pushing bullets down the triumph (although the load is not as accurate in my triumph as in my omega).

SteveH said:

I have one and used it. I don't find that it works any better or I get any better accuracy then when I use a spin jag so I just use the spin jag.

Plus, the Spin-Jag is great for cleaning as it will rotate with the rifling of the barrel.

spinjag

The original Spinjag is superior to the TC one.

Rogo

Latest posts

Back