what powders you use ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

Reaction score
i have for some reason only used triple 7 powder. in three muzzlw loading rifles. seen some of the Shockley (sp) it was 10.00 or more than pyrodex stuff worth buting for an extra 10 bucks ? im using a cva eclipse now load capasity 100 gr and using musket caps. not going to buy a conversion to use 209 primers. i know nothing about the buckhorn 209 powder or i better off using the pyrodex in my rifle ?

Of those choices I'd stick with 777 powder, after that Pyrodex then the others. I use B209 now but it requires a few particulars to shoot reliably.

Blackhorn 209 is the cleanest.I use that at the range and T7 pellets for hunting.I like the pellets for hunting just because of the easyness of them.Drop and go..

Steve

Eighty percent of my shooting is with GOEX, with Pyrodex and Triple Seven sharing the other twenty percent about equally. Shockey's gold is a good powder, but has less "oomph" than Pyrodex. Not worth the extra bucks in my opinion, but I will buy it to play around with if I catch it on a real cheap sale.

Pyrodex is a great powder and is all you need unless you have a bad case of the shooting & experimenting fever that many of us have.

I use Swiss 3F and Pryodex P in my White ML's . Pryodex P is by far the cheapest, but is also dirtier than all of the others, but it is a great powder. In my White's I shoot 80-90 gr or Pryodex P and 70 grs of Swiss 3f shooting anywhere from 460-495 gr connicals.

went to buckhorn202 web page it said they do not recommend using anything but 209 primers with it. i will most likely use my triple 7 up have all most a full pound of it. just like ideas on other powders you guys use.

American Pioneer, Jim Shockeys Gold and Blackhorn209.

If using 209 primers, Blackhorn all the way.

#11 or mustket caps, I use either the APP or JSG.

i've been using Goex Pinnacle extensively for a few years. Unfortunately, it is no longer being sold since Hodgdon bought out Goex. Just got two cases of Pinnacle in and that will be rationed out over many years.

A couple of my guns will now be using Pyrodex and 777. Of the two, i prefer Pyrodex.

Because you are shooting a CVA Eclipse with a musket cap ignition, it WILL NOT shoot BlackHorn 209 in a consistent manner do do not waste your money there. Also you would have to go to the 209 ignition to do so if you already bought some.

In loose form, Triple Seven, Pyrodex RS, Goex, APP, Shockey Gold, Pinnacle, Swiss, Graf's and Sons, are all fine powders for you. With the musket cap ignition do not shoot pellets. Pellets require a 209 primer for the best ignition.

Just keep with the Triple Seven or Pyrodex RS for now. Both are great powders and do well with the musket cap. I have shot about any kind of powder you want to mention. I normally shoot Goex or Graf's and Sons black powder 90% of the time in loose form of course. Depending on the rifle I am shooting, I will use, all the other powders as well.

I used to shoot Cowboy Action and I burned a LOT of BP every year. Goex, Swiss, Lidu, Elephant, KIK, Schuetzen, Pyrodex RS and P, APP, Pinnacle and 777 all went down the barrel at various times. My favorite for that kind of shooting is still 777. Doesn't foul too bad, easy to ignite, and cleans up easy. I think you would be well served with 777 in your gun.

I prefer BH 209 for my hunting guns now but shot a bunch of 777 in those too and had great results.

I like Triple Seven as I can use it in both my Knight disc extreme and my 45, 50 & 54 caliber traditional rifles. Goex 3F works real well in my traditional 32 & 36 caliber rifles. American Pioneer shoots ok, but is slower than Triple Seven.

Pyrodex in the Traditionals and Blackhorn in the inlines.

Lee 9 said:
Pyrodex in the Traditionals and Blackhorn in the inlines.

Thats my preference too but sometimes things change. Hopefully it will be the cost of BH209 (lower).

I was hoping to try out the new version of BlackMag but it looks like the wait will continue.

I got a hold of a small amount of one of the newer versions of Black Mag from a friend to try, I am not sure it was the last version. It was really excellent I would like to use it in the Traditional [never had enough to try any in the inlines. It gave top notch velocity for the amount of pressure and was clean and did not need wiping to keep shooting accurately.
I hope I get a chance at some of the final version [Black Dot] and that they decide to mass produce it, it is good enough to give Blackhorn a run for it's business and ignites easy enough that it works good with #11 caps.
No idea of the price.

I just like that the reviews ive seen show near BH209 performance but much easier to ignite plus no crud ring complaints.

I got an email back from Alliant Powder yesterday and was advised they do not know Black Dot's future due to the recent explosion at the MDM Plant.

90 grains of 777 , 300 grain GD with a .25 acp conversion in my encore .

Back