.50 cal & Triple7 FFF

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
Hi all. I'll be getting my new Traditions 50 cal Kentucky in a day or 2. I have the following for range testing: .490 RB with .015 patch and .495 RB and .010 patch. I'm thinking of starting out with 70gr of T7 FFF for both RBs and patch combinations also with a .54 cal over powder wad. Mainly looking for a hunting load out to say 75yds. Any opinions or advise?

My 50 cal. Renegade liked the Swiss 3F load at 60 gr., 490/.018 patch. My 70 gr. load was not bad, just not as tight of a group. Correct patch lube took longer to find the right combination for me.

Hi all. I'll be getting my new Traditions 50 cal Kentucky in a day or 2. I have the following for range testing: .490 RB with .015 patch and .495 RB and .010 patch. I'm thinking of starting out with 70gr of T7 FFF for both RBs and patch combinations also with a .54 cal over powder wad. Mainly looking for a hunting load out to say 75yds. Any opinions or advise?
I don't load that heavy, loading 50-53 grs. of t7 fff is like at least 60 grs. of black and that is my load. 70 grs. of 777 is like 80 grs. of black. If you only shooting out to 75 yds., I wouldn't load that heavy, but it would sure work. I do think you will like the 490 ball with the thicker patch the best.
Good luck and good shooting,
Squint

I don't load that heavy, loading 50-53 grs. of t7 fff is like at least 60 grs. of black and that is my load. 70 grs. of 777 is like 80 grs. of black. If you only shooting out to 75 yds., I wouldn't load that heavy, but it would sure work. I do think you will like the 490 ball with the thicker patch the best.
Squint
I am in Maine......we have 300 pound white tailed deer up north. I gotta smack them hard with some punch if I ever have a chance of dropping another one. But I don't use round balls.

Squint
Good advice. Keep in mind that T-7 burns hotter and has more energy than traditional black powder so when comparing the two you need to reduce the volume of 3f T-7 by 15% and 2f by 10%. If your most accurate load with black is 75 grains then use 63.75 (64 grains of 3f Triple 7).
You will of course need to work up a load in your rifle (which looks great btw) so that you will know what load combination is best for you and your gun. Start with 63 grains and go up from there. I also think that with T-7 you will get better results using a .490 round ball and a thick patch of at least .015. I would also get something that measures .018 but doesn't require a mallet to start. Your patch should be well lubed but not dripping, and a fiber wad over the powder might improve accuracy.

YUP I start at a 50-60 grain load and work up to obtain a group I am happy with, Generally a 2 to 21/2 inch group is totally acceptable at 75 to 100 yards

70grains T7 wad and a prb, should net ya around 1750fps+-. Zero for 75 and your 4 low at 100 ,+1.5 at 50. It will punch holes thru whitetails just fine. Moving up or down powder load to see if ya find a sweet spot for target shooting. Bare in mind I'd not be to worried about final accuracy till ya put at least a hundred rounds thru that new barrel, don't freak out over sketchy patches at first them lands is sharp still.
Enjoy once ya figure it out you'll want another one 😉

Latest posts

Back