@ the Farm with a Knigh-Lehigh-BH and some Speers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well, I finally was able to get out and do some more shooting with the Knight Extreme. I had conducted an initial test of the Knight with a Lehigh Gen II plug installed in April and wanted to follow that up with a 'prove it' test. I have gone back to work so finding the time to get it done has been a problem, but the time presented itself today - so I headed to the farm this afternoon.

The April test really was ran to test the cleanliness of the new Lehigh Generation II plug. That issue is no longer and issue for myself so not going to speak to much about how clean the plug is, but it sure is nice.

The testing I was trying to conduct is how well the plug and vent liner work with BH. In my mind these two test confirm what i thought I already knew. The 'Vent Liner' is the key and the 'Plug' is clean in all of my Knights. For my tests to be complete I still need to shoot in some really cold weather and that will have to wait for awhile. Probably late December...

What I was trying to confirm is that different primers do not have all that much of an effect on velocities created or instant ignition. There certainly are dofferences ion velocities, but again I am not weighing charges - I am using a powder volumn measure and dropping that into the bore.

Here are the targets and the information... This is today's target

5-21-10DExTarget-L-1.jpg

This is the target from April....

4-25-10KDExBHTest.jpg

The odd part is the milder primers are getting better fps and a lower fps deviation than mag primers.

Compare the T7s and Rem209-4 made for 410 shells to the rest. I sure wish i could get some Rems209-4s here to test out.

IMO i think that is partially why when i was using the T7s (mainly) on my last outing i got tighter groups overall.

I have the Lehigh vent liner back in and im hoping to get in some range time this weekend. In theory it should be a bit cleaner than the PR vent liner since its flash hole is just a tad smaller. Im not convinced yet the domed style has as large of an impact on blowby. Its effect on T7s crud ring is possible.

I tried both liners in a head spaced CVA plug and both were equally clean. I do like the machine work of the Lehigh vent liner better though.

I doubt i can do another 50 round+ marathon but who knows. :D

Update

I just installed the another lehigh NFPJ and tried it in the Extreme 50. Its slightly tight on closing but Fed209a, Win209 and WinT7s all came out spotless. They all had a slight crush and sealed better than i expected.

You can hardly even see any soot on the flame side of the primer.

I just got some nice 275gr + bullets too....This is gunna leave a mark. :lol:

I tested my Gen II plug in my GM 54-120 and had excellent ignition with regular CCI primers using 300gr Harvester PT's. I feel no need to use magnum primers with the vent liner.

Well im off to the range. Weather is nearly perfect except for being in the 80F+ range

Today im trying the GenII/and Lehigh liner in a low serial # Extreme 50. Im going to see if i can repeat the great ignition using mostly WinT7s but this time using the Lehigh vent liner instead of the PR version i used in the Elite 45. Im bringing some Win209s and Feds209As too.

This one appears to be even cleaner that the one in my Elite 45 and the primer seal looked awesome. So i am going to try some of the heaviest charges and bullets (upto 400gr) i have with sabots. If these come back as clean as the Elite 45 im sure it will handle my more common loads with ease.

Dont expect any tight groups since im pushing most of them to the limit and more concerned with other things besides accuracy this time out.

Im also going to play with some of the 45x357s ive been mostly ignoring just for fun in the Accura and see if it shoots the PR Ultimate conicals as well as the Elite 45...upping the charge a bit too if i have enough time.

Probably going to give the T7 powder a try in the Accura 45 too since it seems a bit better with the light weights. Ive also got a bunch of my Montana Gold 40-180s to see how well they compare to the 180gr XTPs. They are MUCH cheaper and have a tougher jacket.

Oops almost forgot ive got some "custom" 40-225gr JHPs from Hawks Bullets and a full box of the Lehigh 185 DOAs. Ive got to try these in the 50 with the Harvester 50x40 CRs too.

Nothing fancy and i will probably sit at the 50 line most of the day since its better shaded. :D

Have a good one and see you guys in 4-5 hours.

The Lehigh NFPJ in my Extreme 50 worked really well. So well i only used WinT7s the entire day.

These barely even look fired

WinT7-110grBH209.jpg

Even with 110-120gr of BH209.

WinT7.jpg

It was a bit warm (84F) and considering i needed more cool down time and a raging headache it shot pretty well too. I did use one bag on the sled.

All shots at 50 yards

My beloved Barnes 458 300gr SemiSpitzer.
BarnesO458x300grSS110gr.jpg

50x475s always do this to me.
GoldDot475x275gr110gr.jpg

One of my favorite loads in several guns.
260grPT100gr.jpg

Tried a smaller OD 3P-EZ sabot and 2 different bullets for a comparison. Below is my usual Spitfire 285gr load for another comparison with looser sabots.
225grFTX110gr.jpg

Barnes285gr110gr.jpg

AND

The Accura really likes the PR 45cal 360gr Ultimate conical too. Very expensive but man do they shoot well.
PR360grUltimate.jpg

Between the heat and headache i didnt get to do all the "tests" i wanted but i think this proves that in MINE, the Lehigh NFPJ works Grrrreaaaaat!! :D

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

That is some good shooting for just jumping out and shooting, especially in that heat!!!

After the initial primer tests i had to try it out with some heavy charges. It passed with flying colors in mine. Ive also gotten very good at loading a bare primer and will probably even use it for hunting.

I seldom need or take a fast follow up shot anyway. Plus i often have another gun in the stand.

GM54-120 said:
The odd part is the milder primers are getting better fps and a lower fps deviation than mag primers.

Compare the T7s and Rem209-4 made for 410 shells to the rest. I sure wish i could get some Rems209-4s here to test out.

IMO i think that is partially why when i was using the T7s (mainly) on my last outing i got tighter groups overall.

I think part of that small rise in velocity might be explained this way...

With the barrel getting hotter in theory the velocity should be reducing becuase the barrel bore is increasing - creating a larger volume chamber. As the barrel warms it expands and increases in diameter creating a larger bore, thus creating a greater volume in the bore. What I think is happening especially with BH is the fouling level continually increases reducing the bore diameter and creating greater drag on the sabot thereby creating more pressure trying to get the load out the barrel.

So by the time I get around to the milder primers - I think the reasons listed above increase the velocity a bit - nothing that is really worth looking hard at.

Running a damp Hoppes patch after each shot would alleviate that problem but with BH no-one wants that done.

Another theory might also come into play.... Cecil @PR bullets is a firm believer that with hot primers you can push the bullet off the powder a bit before real ignition of the powder occurs which would increase the expansion volume of the powder and reduce veloicty a bit - maybe even effect accuracy. I can not verify either thought by any of the shooting I have done. I think it is insignificant...

That is very possible but the fps spread seems to be less also. That is the main reason ive been using the T7s in my testing.

It is very possible that the least amount of ignition needed to ignite the powder can help accuracy. Ive seen it in some "benchrest" loading data with primers "designed" for best accuracy. I havent used very many of PRs products but his Ultimate conicals are one of the most accurate ive ever tried.

I almost wish it was winter again to test them in a cold environment. At this point im fairly sure T7s and BH209 will be reliable with the Lehigh NFPJ in almost any temps.

IMO the crush fit is channeling almost all of the ignition charge at the powder and that is what is making them 100% reliable so far. Even loose fitting sabots and conicals have been 100%. No hesitation at all.

Clean up time..not much to clean :D

Here are the cleanup pics from the Extreme 50 and Lehigh NFPJ.

Is this before of after? :lol:

Bolt1.jpg

Bolt2.jpg

Bolt3.jpg

Breach1.jpg

Breach2.jpg

Breach3.jpg

NFPJ1.jpg

BTW this was very well oiled before heading out to shoot, so any blowby should have really stuck to any metal. Estimated 30 shots or more.

Im not even sure i need to pull the breach plug. :lol:

Sorry for the heavy pics but it was just too good not to post. :yeah:

Back