Back from Colorado OH YA now with pictures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laker

Reaction score
I am back from colorado with a great 6x6 bull elk that will score 330 and a nice mule deer that will go in the 150's. It was a great hunt and when I have more time I will give the stories. If I can Email some pics will someone put them on here for me thanks Joel.

Glad you had a great hunt and make it back okay! BTW...Do you know what that pronghorn scored in your pic?

He scored around 70 inches I will be going out to colorado again this fall because the outfitter I went with has the new Colorado state record pronghorn on their property the hunter they had in camp missed this goat 15 times from 200-450 yards, so I am going after him. They guess him to score around 88 and the colorado record is 85 and some change. I think it will be worth another trip. :lol:

Look forward to the story and the pictures

elk-deer.jpg

Finally after applying for tags for 3 years I got to go on my hunt. OCT 21 I woke up at 5:00 AM to head for the Cincinati airport, by 10:30 I was in the Colorado Springs airport waiting in anticipation. After meeting with my outfitter Donny Carr of goldeneagleoutfitters he filled me in on the great elk they had been watching. Around 3:00 I was at the rifle range confirming my zero and then we were off to the radio tower to do some glassing to. We only found 3 elk that night but one was a real impressive bull. Opening morning broke and not a minute of sleep but boy was I ready. We road up to the radio tower to glass miles of country, I found the first bull of the morning it was a nice 6 point but it had a broken beam so my guide told me we could do better. After about 30 minutes of glassing my guide found a good bull and asked if I thought this one was big enough, I said lets go. We headded of for the bull but they worked back into the timber before we got there. The guide sugested we work a ridge where he had been seeing a good bull, and as soon as we got out of the truck we heard a bugle, the hunt was on after about 500 yds we ran into the herd. They were working up the ridge so all we had to do is get in front of them, after running about 200 yds and sneaking another 300 we were in position. We watched about 20 cows calves and satalite bulls pass before this herd bull showed up bugleing his head off. One shot at 280 yards and he was mine. My guide got all this on video which makes this a hunt of a life time , not bad for a first time elk hunter.

The deer on the otherhand was a whole lot harder. We had seen quite a few younger bucks but not the big one, finally on the 8th day on a 9 day hunt we were at the radio tower when my guide spotted a herd of elk and deer, but all the sudden they spooked, while my guide looked for a bear or couger he found a tresspasser. We decided he blew our hunt so we were going down to get a license plate and low and behold we ran across this deer I shot him at 350 yds and hit him a little low, after a little chase and 2 more shots I had my Colorado double. This was a hunt I will never forget. Alot of foot miles and alot of hard work and presistance finally paid off. Hope you all enjoy the story and the pictures. Laker

laker said:
Hope you all enjoy the story and the pictures.

I certainly enjoyed both! Way to go, dude! :applause: That must have been some great time for sure! That's a couple of great trophies that anybody would be proud of. Congratulations!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.. That going out west thing really gets in your blood, doesn't it??!!

AWESOME Elk Laker! ANYONE would be proud of THAT ONE! Simply AWESOME! :prayer:

The deer on the otherhand was a whole lot harder.

That's the way it is with mule deer these days..especially here in the states. You just about have to go on a dedicated mule deer hunt to do any better than that one. Big elk and the nicer mule deer generally don't occupy the same area these days.. STILL..that's a VERY nice mule deer!

I shot him at 350 yds and hit him a little low, after a little chase and 2 more shots I had my Colorado double.

Laker, you're one of the few that will admit to that! You're tops in my book!

Laker,

Great story & some outstanding pics of some fine trophys for sure!

Congrats & thanks for sharing with all.

big6x6 said:
AWESOME Elk Laker! ANYONE would be proud of THAT ONE! Simply AWESOME! :prayer:

The deer on the otherhand was a whole lot harder.

That's the way it is with mule deer these days..especially here in the states. You just about have to go on a dedicated mule deer hunt to do any better than that one. Big elk and the nicer mule deer generally don't occupy the same area these days.. STILL..that's a VERY nice mule deer!

I shot him at 350 yds and hit him a little low, after a little chase and 2 more shots I had my Colorado double.

Laker, you're one of the few that will admit to that! You're tops in my book!
Big 6x6 Ill have to agree with you but this ranch is a exeception to that. THere were 4 deer hunters we went 100% with 194 a 170 a 150 and a 140 management buck, We picked up several sheds of 200 class deer that were oh so impresive but the weather was 75-80 degrees every day and the deer were holding tight. The elk were right in the prime of the rut( Where we were hunting was like desert country so they rut about two weeks later) we saw anywhere between 12-20 bulls a day and alot of cows and calves to. Not to mention the ungodly numbers of pronghorn we would see. All I can say is what a place to hunt. Laker

laker,
Thanks for the story and pictures. Congratulation on fine trophies.
Can you share the video?

Nice Bull and Mullee

Congrats on your hunt. What type of rifle and load did you make the shots with?

Latest posts

Back