Due to circumstances i cant control.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
One of my Savages are coming out for Buck season here in PA. To many really nice bucks are running around and i want to use my Savage. Probably my new Savage will get the call. Just because it has the new VX-III on it with the German reticle #4. My original plan was to use the Knight Disc Elite. I'm going to take the Leupold Vari X-III off my Disc Elite and put it on My Remington 308 for my Son. I'm really excited this year. The only down side for me, is we have antler restrictions. :( Must have four points on one side.

Tom, 4 Points!! I'm glad where I hunt in PA its 3 points. Even with 3 points you have to be carefull!! I'll be using my Super91 .451 Squirrel rifle.

Good Luck to ya!!

Ed

I wish Michigan had restrictions for both buck tags. :shock:

I am against antler restrictions because of bucks like this one that a friend of mine shot last year out of one of my stands.
f6396621.jpg

f6396617.jpg

I did a european mount on this head because it was so strange. There is no sign of injury to the skull or the base of the antler, so it had to be genetic.

If it is genetic, it must be a recessive gene. I shot one exactly like that one 2 years ago during a State Park Deer Reduction Hunt.

Looks like the right side is pretty normal. It could have also been injured at one time on the right side of its genital area. If they injure the right side...it will effect the left antler....opposite if they injure the left side....it will effect the right antler. Yo just never know!!

There is no sign of injury to the skull or the base of the antler, so it had to be genetic.

Actually this is not true. According to a number of biologists including noted author Leonard Lee La Rue abnormal antler formations are most commonly the result of two kinds of injury. (assuming a head injury is not the cause as you have stated)

First, if the antler strikes any other objects while it is growing it is very likely the antler will bend into an unusual shape and harden in that manner. It is unlikely it would actually fall off as one would expect. This would leave absolutely no visible marks on the deers body at all, and the deer would in most cases grow a normal set of antlers the next season.

Secondly, many deer grow deformed antlers as a result of injuries to a part of their body other than thier head. In most cases this is the result of an injury to the animals hind quarters. The injury can affect the antlers in two ways. First is that the deer bends the antlers when they are still soft,(as is the case in the first example). This often occurs while it is constantly licking its injuries in an attempt to clean it. In these cases the deer will likely grow normal antlers the following year. The second more common explanation on how the injury affects antler growth is that the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa. This results in an antler deformation on the skull on the opposite side of the body as the original injury. In this case the deformation will likely last throughout the deers life.

The important point of this is that none of these deformations are the result of genetics and none of the abnormalities would be passed on the deers offspring regardless of whether the deer continued to have abnormal antlers throughout its life. In all of the cases there would be absolutely no signs of any injury to the deers head.

In this particular case the one antler that is not unusual is actually relatively normal in design, this would indicate it was likely a case where it was simply bent while it was growing and hardened in that position.

Never heard of an antler "Bending" ,but i guess anything is possible. :huh?:

Mcgee,

I highly recomend the following book if this kind of information interests you...

The Deer Of North America
By, Leonard Lee La Rue IIII
Lyons and Bradford publishing
544 pages

"left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa. This results in an antler deformation on the skull on the opposite side of the body as the original injury. "
Like Mcee67 said and injury to the genitals :D :lol: Sorry about that :)

Latest posts

Back