njs new crossbow season?!?! two thumbsdown!! thoughts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigalojay13

Reaction score
i think its absolutely retarded that they legalized crossbows for hunting in nj.....if u cant get a deer with a normal "bow" during bow season then u deserve not to get any deer.....they might as well allow shotguns during bow season!! alll i know is there better not be any hunters doing drives under my stands this year with crossbows or i will be very unhappy......the hunters as a majority deff do not benefit from this.... my guess is that they are doing it as an excuse to raise the price in bow permits this year!! (plus what do the disabled do now? they have no advantage!!)

jigalojay13

Your thoughts on Xbow don't deserve an answer and if I were a handicapped hunter i would take high exception to yuor post! But for you, handicapped in other ways I will attempt to respond....How do you figure deer drives will happen w/ a Xbow? and how would they be any good w/ Xbow over say a bow, what makes you think a Xbow hunter will be any different type hunter than a compound or trad hunter? I do not beleive the handicapped hunter is looking for an advantage?! Where do you get that idea? I might be wrong about it I hope someone closer to the subject chimes on that remark. Your normal bow, are you refering to the sighted w/ light pins, stabilized counter weighted, over draw compund bow w/ hatchet cams shooting at 350 fps or tlbetter or the traditional stick bow? As far as raising prices because of the inclusion of Xbows I would thiank w/ an increase in hunters in a fast shrinking market that would keep prices down. Good Luck in Jersey!

well i dont think there will be that many deer drivers with xbow ....but deff more than there is compoundbow drivers.....ive alrdy had hunters ruin my day by doing drives right by during bow season!! add 20 -30 yards to the rage of an xbow and i think even more people will be doing deer drives. i dont know about you, but for me the crossbow is almost like a gun it requires less skill to get a kill...... i basically would be fine with it if they had a different season for it other then compound.........i say begining of deer season should still be limited to "normal" bows only ...if they were to do xbows a month or two after (lets say a compound bow season) i would be fine with that

well i have a compound bow that shoots around 290 fps ...some compounds can shoot up to around 400fps thats a big diff........about what u said on the disabled is a good point ...i thought about it and many areas around here in nj are specially designated for handicaps to hunt in while other hunters can not ....so i guess its not really going to affect them

I said the same thing when the compound bow became popular in the mid 70s.

I will be hunting in Michigan this FALL. It is the first time in 15 years that I could get back in the woods to harvest a deer. I fell down a flight of stairs at workand messed up my back in three places. I cannot pull and hold a compound bow to get a shot at a deer. I bow hunted for 35 yrs before the accident. I remember the compound debait, it was the same as this.

I with my new crossbow do not feel any more confident then I did with my compound bow. The crossbows are a LOT noiser than anyother bow. If you know anything about the speed of sound, the deer past 35 to 45 yrds. will hear a bow before the arrow will arrive. If any hunter is stupid enough to shot any weapon that is slower than the speed of sound at a distance more than where they cross, They shouildn't be hunting. They will more than often wound an animal instead of harvesting it. A stupid person with a bow is the same as a stupid person with a gun.

Dave

Have you spent much time with a crossbow? I am not a crossbow hunter, but my father is. When they legalized them in VA many said the same things you are, now I hear nothing about it and some of the ones making thet most noise about not letting crossbows hunt during the archery season are using crossbows now. The effective range with the top end tenpoint my father has is no more than my Hoyt. Shooting a crossbow offhand in the woods is not as easy as some would make it out to be.

I believe that anything that keeps more people interested in legal hunting only helps us all keep our sport. There are many out there who would love to see us fight within our ranks so they can continue to work against us all while we are distracted.

And don't believe everything you hear on speed from the manufacturers...

I agree,your still going to have your week end warriors who couldnt shoot their "regular" bow because a week before the season they are dusting off from 8 months under their bed,Now they go buy a cross bow and think its going to be different.With a crossbow shooting over 400fps tuning it to shoot broadheads will be even more critical especialy when they think they are going to shoot 40-50 yrds with it.I cant believe the state is not requiring them to take some sort of hunter safety class with these things.I guess we are going to see alot of these guys walking around with missisg thumbs.Now on the other hand if you are handicapped,or elderly and this is going to extend your hunting years than God bless you go get one.

crossbow debate

i am 68 yrs old and just started to use a crossbow. have been practicing quite a bit and have no problem hitting the mark at 45 yards. the reason i use one is because of an old injury i recieved from a 30 foot fall from a roof top. they just became legal here in Pa, but senior's and people with a dissability have been allowed to use them for quite some time.

With all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing that lead up to the adoption of a crossbow season in Michigan, I'm happy to say our deer herd has been barely impacted by the new crossbow season. It's not the weapon of mass destruction that many archers said it would be.

Happy hunting to everyone this season.

jigalojay13 said:
i think its absolutely retarded that they legalized crossbows for hunting in nj.....if u cant get a deer with a normal "bow" during bow season then u deserve not to get any deer.....they might as well allow shotguns during bow season!! alll i know is there better not be any hunters doing drives under my stands this year with crossbows or i will be very unhappy......the hunters as a majority deff do not benefit from this.... my guess is that they are doing it as an excuse to raise the price in bow permits this year!! (plus what do the disabled do now? they have no advantage!!)

"Animal rights people " ( or assholes , I call'em ) , just love people like you. If they can get us to fight amongst ourselves , then 1/2 half of their battle is already won. Don't tread on me !!!

First, I don't hunt with a crossbow but age and shoulder problems may force me to switch.

All the fears that have been expressed here have been proved wrong in other states.

I see hunters using a "regular" bow that SHOULD be using a crossbow, because they refuse to practice.

If a crossbow is easier to shoot accurately, maybe it will cut down on wounded deer.

Insurance companies are pushing for lower deer populations, crossbows seem to be a viable tool (along with muzzleloaders).

Snobs have no place in our sport.

mcrik

First off.....we are all in this together......any day a man can step into the woods is a good day , regardless of weapon. Choose the weapon you wish to hunt with, enjoy the day, and be proficient with it regardless of what it is.

bomtek44

There is nothing unsporting with crossbows. It is a short range weapon. If it is unsporting, why isn't it unsporting to use any weapon, bow, muzzleloader or modern rifle?

Should everyone chase down deer on foot and dispatch with their bare hands..a knife.......or their teeth?

Hey Jiggy,

I respect your opinion, but I think you are wrong. Crossbows are nothing new. They were developed to increase accuracy and range. I never have a problem with that. I am new to bow hunting and absolutely love it, but due to a shoulder injury, I may have to use a crossbow in the future. I'm not there yet, but knowing I can makes me feel better. I would hate to lose that time in the woods. I switched to using a muzzleloader instead of a shotgun because of accuracy and range. We took 6 deer with the muzzy's last year and all were well placed shots because of the increased accuracy and range. Give it a few seasons, I think you will change your mind. You will probably even buy one!

Crossbows have neither the range nor the accuracy that a modern compound does. Crossbows & compounds are to bow season, what inlines are to muzzleloading season.

Swampman, have you ever shot a modern crossbow. My friend from another state used his crossbow this last season and he said he harvested several deer with it. He said accuracy and range was amazing. He used to hunt with a compound bow til his injury.

I've shot them. They propel a lighter arrow(bolt) and do not achieve the velocity of a good compound bow.

I just took a quick look at compound and crossbows for sale. The crossbow stated that it would propel a 400 grain arrow at 340 fps. The compound bow stated that it would propel a 350 grain arrow at 325 fps. Now, I know averages vary and sometimes manufacturers exaggerate, but to me, it seems that the crossbow arrow would hit harder, fly a little flatter, and buck the wind just a little bit better. With a scope mounted on a gun type stock and with less variables to consider, I would tend to believe that the crossbow could be a little more accurate too.

Latest posts

Back