Could the breech plug be.........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot SL, I will definately try that. I appreciate everyone's help with this issue. Hopefully we've figured it out and this weekend will be a good time instead of all work and frustration. Then, I can hunt with it!!

Have never owned a TC gun with the Speed Breech. However, i can tell you that my experience with Winchester 777 primers in my Encore was a sorry one. Those primers failed to obturate and a lot of crud got into the action and breech. Matter of fact they eroded a shallow ring around the firing pin the same diameter as the primer.

Went back to Winchester shotgun primers and have never had a problem. They obturate and seal the gas from the breech face and action. I can fire 20 rounds through that gun and wipe what little black stuff there is off the breech face with a rag.

Also had a much worse 777 crud ring with those Winchester 777 primers.

Thank you very much. I have some Blackhorn I already bought so I'm going to try it along with making sure my presoaked patches are not too wet...the T/C ones I was using are so wet when I put them in the barrel a bunch spills over the side; did not think anything of it.

I reload a ton of shotgun shells as I am an avid trapshooter so I have thousands of Win 209 primers as well. Will try your suggestion too. Something has to work!!

Problem solved

I went to the range, cleaned out the breech plug and the gun fired well. I was getting some fouling on the outside of the breechplug with the triple 7 primers, but not much with the CCI. The problem was the presoaked T/C patches that were loaded with solvent. They were soaking the breechplug. Sometimes the pellets were dark from being wet. I twisted them hard to drain all the solvent out and out of the whole day had only one misfire and one hang-fire. I was using Triple 7 powder and Blackhorn powder with CCI primers. The gun was shooting 1-1.5" groups at 50 and 100 yds; 100 grain loose and 250grain shockwave sabots. I want to thank all of you for taking the time to offer helpful hints. The issue ahs been resolved. I now feel comfortable hunting with it. Believe it or not I think the gun shoots better with the triple 7 loose powder than the Blackhorn with a CCI primer in both cases. I now have 2 tubs of Blackhorn and 1 of Triple 7....I intend on using all of it soon. Thanks again everyone.

I want to give a special thanks to Hawgslayer who met me at the range and helped me through this enire process inlcuding the introduction to this furm which proved most helpful. Thanks H/S. Hope to see you at the range again soon.

Latest posts

Back