Palm Saver Device or Range Rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Nimrodder 100%. I never use the ramrod that comes with the rifle for anything but hunting. I would get both. A palm saver and a very good range rod. That range rod will save your bacon as you will soon come to learn. I have two range rods, a T handle model and a ball handle model... both stainless steel, and both custom made. I would never be without my range rods. You stick a patch, hold that T handle with your feet and pull that patch back out. Same with a stiff loading projectile, a hunting rod might break (and they do). My range rods I can normally horse that projectile down the barrel.

I had a T/C rugged rod for a long time and it worked real well. Knight I was told made a good range rod, but never used one. I am sure there are other good rods out there.

Nimrodder said:
I'd get both. Use the palm saver when hunting and the range rod at the range.

yep thats what i also do. If you cant reload in the field without it, i guess you'd be screwed :lol:

It is definately worth it to have a seperate range rod. One other reason is that you don't have to change back and forth between a cleaning jag and a bullet loading jag (I use different ones)

That said, I have one of these that fits in my gun:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

This rod fits both my Omega and my Knight LRH, so I don't need to carry a palm saver in the field.

yep

golf ball in the woods. range rod on the well you know

I picked up a CVA Lifetime Range Rod. Three piece solid brass, very heavy duty. I find I only need two of the sections for loading my X7 (Omega carbine) at the range.

An additional good thing about using a beefy range rod is that I don't see any way that I could forget it's in the barrel and accidently shoot it down range, which would be more likely when using the rod that comes with the ML.

Edit - Regarding the TC palmsaver the the OP linked to. I did try one of those for use both at the range and in the field. I do not recommend it for regular range work as I was able to wear it out in one season of working up a load for my Omega when I first got it. I sent it in to TC and they gave me a deluxe bullet starter for free. Another +1 for their customer service.

Believe me, sooner or later you will shoot your rod. Took me 43yrs but i did it!! They call me Mr. Ramrod now!!! :oops:

Okie Hog! Do you have a picture of your palm saver? I always like to see a good cheap mod that works. That sound cheap, functional, and extremely portable.

Back